Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Pro-Active Van Halen Fans - Are You One?

I was listening to Alice Cooper's show while driving home the other night and he played "You Really Got Me". When it ended he made a great point, he said that he gets plenty of requests for VH but it's always "Jamie's Cryin'", "Pretty Woman", "You Really Got Me" or "Dance The Night Away", he thought that was really sad because "Van Halen has a lot of great songs, but you guys NEVER request any of them".

That got me thinking, outside of "Aint Talkin Bout Love", "Everybody Wants Some" and "Unchained", I've almost never heard anything else off those great Dave era albums. They seem to play any Sammy era song, too many to list, so why only those seven? Are Van Halen fans that lazy?

I hate to say it but...yes.

Seriously, when was the last time Van Halen fans got pro-active? You know, letter-writing campains or blitzing radio stations with VH requests, you never see Van Halen fans pulling those kinds of stunts. There was a Van Halen related Cancer Walk a few years back, was it repeated the following year?

Consider this, when a record company or radio station is burried with letters or has a couple hundred rabid fans protesting outside their offices they tend to notice these things. What would happen if Warners was suddenly bombarded with letters demanding a Van Halen boxed set or Dave era concert DVD? I'll tell you what would happen - you'd get one. It's actually that simple. If they get a million letters, they'll do the math - a box set at $60 X 1 million. They're not stupid, the last VH album was a best of, and it didn't do so hot, this knocks Van Halen off of their screen. So it's up to Van Halen fans to tell Warners what they want to buy, if enough of them do it then Warners will move on it.

You can try the same thing with Eddie too, if you want but Warners owns all of that material (audio and video) and if they want to put it out, they will regardless of the band's wishes.

Don't use e-mail, nobody reads e-mail, e-mail is for loosers. Send a letter or a postcard, keep your message simple, send one every week or if you are a bad-ass, every day.

For all the whining and toddler-like temper tantrums that are posted on this board every week I think that energy could be used constructively.

I e-mailed a request for "Good Girl Gone Bad" and "Hang 'Em High" to Alice, we'll see what happens. What did you do to get your Van Halen?
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

I could care less what they play on the radio, I own every VH album, I don't even listen to the radio anymore.

But when I did listen to the radio, I did hear a lot of different VH songs. The Dream Is Over, Love Walks In, Summer Nights, Without You, Feel your Love Tonight, Why Can't This Be Love, Panama, Jump, Hot For Teacher, And The Crade Will Rock are some songs I remember hearing on the radio.
    Last edited by YankeeRose; 10.01.05 at 09:07 PM.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRose
    I could care less what they play on the radio, I own every VH album, I don't even listen to the radio anymore.
    What he said. I don't want old shit, I want new Van Halen and I want new LIVE Van Halen, like I got to see last year. I only want DVD's and unreleased stuff after (God forbid) members of the band pass away. Which, of course, is when the powers that be will take advantage of the VH name-for profit.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

dont ask i love em all
    Favorite VH Song

ARE U KIDDING ME
    Last Online

06.16.12 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

um , i dont think the label owns outtake stuff. and if they did why didnt they throw some of it out on the remasters from a few yrs back.also didnt alex say they really dont have tracks laying around .

Favorite VH Album

dont ask i love em all
    Favorite VH Song

ARE U KIDDING ME
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

besides radio is to formatted they will that one song from a group until god knows when. im too the piont that im switching to satellite radio soon.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300
    Seriously, when was the last time Van Halen fans got pro-active? You know, letter-writing campains or blitzing radio stations with VH requests, you never see Van Halen fans pulling those kinds of stunts. There was a Van Halen related Cancer Walk a few years back, was it repeated the following year?
    There was?

If the threads describing how that unfortunate idea came to be didn't disappear during the hack, you may want to read them. The whole thing illustrates the cluster fuck that these little projects tend to grow into. In a nutshell, it started out as a way to thank VH and celebrate the 25th anniversary of Van Halen's release. The idea was to take out a full page ad the LA paper, and we had about two months to get the money collected and what not. Simple enough, right? No. We never got beyond step one. Between arguments over which paper, whether to somehow print every individual contributor's name, and whatever else there was no progress. Too many chiefs, and not enough braves.

That's when the admirable yet misguided idea to organized a charity walk had its genesis. Gosh, wouldn't it be so much more meaningful to raise money for cancer in honor of Eddie? The notion of people spending thousands in travel money in order to donate $100 never seemed to raise any alarm. In the end the whole thing just faded away.

We had slightly more success in trying to get Unchained played on MTV's TRL back in 2000. Maybe it was 2001. Of course, it never came close to getting on the air, but Georgie (who was working for MTV at the time) said the effort was noticed.

That was back when there were strong rumors of Dave working with the band, and people were excited. Not just here, but smell of money was in the air. Now? The band is dead.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

LOL! I remember the Unchained thingy. I remember someone saying how you could continuously add votes at a precise time to add hundreds of votes in a few minutes. Click, click, click, click etc..... Unchained was up by hundreds yet lost to....I don't even remember now. All that for nothing, I remember everyone that voted was pissed for a few minutes. Then we all started voting for other subjects etc...kind of a cool memory.
    Wasn't the cancer walk advertised on the right side on the old board?
    I know what you mean Mike, it sounds great RIGHT NOW, but the group doesn't follow up or through.
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Album

dont ask i love em all
    Favorite VH Song

ARE U KIDDING ME
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

i wish i was around for those events . but since i live infla. its easier for me to donate than getting out to the coast. imho next time you guys do something like that again set up a dead line and whatever monies you got you donate.those who wait lose.........

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey, I just wanted to see the response, that's all.

I think it helps underscore why there's no new Van Halen, nobody gives a shit. If the fans don't care, why should Ed? Everybody talks - whines - that Ed needs to get off his ass, but why should he?

Case in point: KISS

KISS is no way in the same league with Van Halen. They should have been gone years ago. They've gone longer than Van Halen without putting out an album of new material, yet they (or what passes for KISS these days) are still suiting up and packing them in.

Why?

KISS fans are nuts. We do stupid things like petitions and letters and the band responds.

There are other bands and acts out there that have the same kind of fan base, they're out there getting their fave band on the air. Radio sucks? Gee, I wonder why? Could it be the pussification of hard rock fans? Radio is driven by $$$, if you lost a rock station in your area it's because the ratings were shit. The stations that are still surviving do so because their listeners are active and vocal. You can blame corperate ownership all you want but in the end it all comes down to ratings.

I guess it's easier to complain.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

dont ask i love em all
    Favorite VH Song

ARE U KIDDING ME
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

no i had a good station here miami, but clear channel got its hands on it and destroyed it. turned it into a latin station . the only classic rock station plays the same crap . the am dj's talk all morning . ive sent letters and have gotten nothing in return. college radio has me till satellite come jan....

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

I've effectively turned my back on radio....I make my own mixes now. I can hear shit like "One Foot Out The Door" or "Secrets" or "Pleasure Dome" and them leap on over to the Doors whenever the fuck I want to. Corporate radio can rim-job me from here on out.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 07:21 PM
    Liked 181 Times in 82 Posts

Donor

Does being Pro Active mean playing "Old School Van Halen" really freakin loud so the kiddies down the street go "What the fuck!" when Eddie rips into another solo
    Last edited by Spool; 10.01.05 at 10:54 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Spool
    Does being Pro Active mean playing "Old School Van Halen" really freakin loud so the kiddies down the street go "What the fuck!" when Eddie rips into another solo
    That's definitely proactive.

I'm more reactive tho. I defintely react to all the things that don't happen with these guys. And likewise, I react to the things when they eventually do happen.

Does that make sense?
    Pussification? Hey that's a new one to me. Interestin word.

BTW - I remember all those efforts for VH. Specially gettin Unchained on mTV. Wow, haven't heard Georgie mentioned in a loooong time. That takes me back.
    Last edited by smithjc; 10.02.05 at 02:03 AM.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Baluchitherium Leo Van Newhouse's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

08.14.13 @ 03:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dutch Rolling Stones fans take the cake.

It was announced they would perform here, and what do they do??? They PROTEST!!! Yeah, against them performing in the Amsterdam ArenA, because according to them the sound is crap. It even got some radio/tv coverage I believe I read somewhere, but never saw or heard that.
    THE PEOPLE HERE TONIGHT : Representing DAVID LEE ROTH in all his glory!!!!!!!!!

JH: "How was your New Years Eve show at the House Of Blues?"
    DLR: "James...I AM New Years Eve!"

"To keep up with me, you must be fast. To sing like me, you must be great. To beat me? You must be kidding?" David Lee Roth

"I'm gonna want to rock out w/ my cock out instead of playing anal taper dork." Colonel Sanders

ANOTHER HOSTILE TAKEOVER COMING YOUR WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite VH Album

dont ask i love em all
    Favorite VH Song

ARE U KIDDING ME
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

is it really a question of whether ed cares or not. maybe his priorities have changed . well im sure they have whether he releases music or not .its up to him and not us. unless we do like in field of dreams and kidnap ed and make him realize we need the music . maybe then he will come to his senses and record again. j/k
    Last edited by lal5150; 10.02.05 at 04:17 AM.