Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Green Day

Going to their show tomorrow night. Just curious as to how long their show is? Anyone here have any recordings fron this current tour? If so, what's the length? Looking at maybe recording it.

Thanks!
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Favorite VH Album

Balance,Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Every damn one!
    Last Online

02.02.11 @ 09:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i went to their show at molson park in barrie back in august. im not a green day fan, but im not gonna lie... this was a great show, very entertaining. And me being a huge green day fan back in elementary school really helped, they played alot of old stuff. they cover WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS! its wicked. The show there was around 2 hours long, maybe a bit longer.
    "Some low life flathead scum infects, the sickness in his eyes reflects, you wonder why your life is screaming, wonder why we're humans being."

Proud Member of the III Brigade.

Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangarang
    The show there was around 2 hours long, maybe a bit longer.

Cool. Thank you.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:20 AM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

"Attack Of Insomnia"
    Live at Stoccolma, 2 Settembre 1995

label: Moonraker (MOONRAKER 013)
    matrix: MOONRAKER 013
    disc time: 57'08"

01-20: Johanneshaov, Stockholm, Sweden - 02 September 1995
    01-20: audience audio. complete.

tracks:
    01. Going to Pasalacqua
    02. Welcome to Paradise
    03. Chump
    04. Longview
    05. Stuck With Me
    06. Geek Stink Breath
    07. 2000 Light Years Away
    08. Knowledge
    09. Basket Case
    10. She
    11. F.O.D.
    12. Burnout
    13. Paper Lanterns
    14. Eye of the Tiger
    15. My Way
    16. Paper Lanterns II
    17. All By Myself
    18. Dominated Love Slave
    19. When I Come Around
    20. Road to Nowhere

review: B (89%)

A high quality audience recording (no hissing or "tinny" sound), from the Insomniac-era. This in itself makes it a treasure because there are less bootlegs from this era than any other (even the Lookout! era). Moonraker chose to split the "Paper Lanterns medley" into 4 tracks, which is interesting. "Jaded" is also played all by itself, which means even Green Day got tired of "Brainstew" (the disc isn't even an hour long and does not sound edited at all). A pretty average show; Billie asks the crowd how to say "fuck you" in Swedish and "declares martial law" so that nobody gets hurt in the pit. He also encourages the crowd to spit on some cameras in the front before "Stuck With Me" (this song was taped for the 1995 MTV Video Music Awards). The only problems with the show are in some songs, like "Welcome To Paradise" and "Chump", Billie's voice is drowned out by the instruments; it sounds like the taper shifts positions once or twice. The liner booklet has the lyrics to "Stuck With Me" (which was a single when this was released), some familiar photos, and a complete European tour listing.

Live tracks from this show are also available in soundboard quality on the Japanese EP Foot In Mouth. Reprise has this one in their vaults...
    Last edited by voivod; 02.25.06 at 05:04 PM.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Green Day or Wyld Stallions?? You Decide....

This is Green Day, back when they were still in high school. Sounds like them, but why do they look like Bill & Ted??
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Unchained, HB
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

That's pretty funny!
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    July 9, 2004 - Mike pressed a guitar pick into my hand!
    "We're in the right place!" EVH @ The Joe in Detroit, July 10, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.
    "You found me again!" - Mike to me in Detroit, Nov. 2, 2007

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.14.13 @ 05:16 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by FORD
    This is Green Day, back when they were still in high school. Sounds like them, but why do they look like Bill & Ted??
    Because they ARE Bill and Ted!
    I'm cool.

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 1,636 Times in 1,005 Posts

Donor

Yikes. Six replies in this thread. Well, it's a Van Halen forum.

Ya know, me being an old geezer, it's strange to admit this, but I've really gotten into these Green Day guys this last six months.

It's hard enough, near impossible, for Olde Worlde folk like me to discover new brands in this day and age, or even explore catalogues that have been around a while that you never bothered with 'cause you generalized them from hearsay to yet another young copycat band emulating one of the pioneers (i.e., when I first started noticing Green Day's increase in popularity, I'm like "Yeah, great, Oakland boys trying to reinvent a 90s/post-Millenium pop punk scene." Turns out they manage pretty well in mixing a little Clash, a little Ramones, a little the Damned, the tiniest dash of the Pistols, a little Kinks even. It probably helps that I'm a fan of power trios (the Police and Rush being my 2nd and 3rd fave bands; technically VH could be a power trio if one disregards the lead singer toilet paper roll ).

So about half a year ago, sick to death of my entire CD collection, I said fuck it, pick up something the kids are listening to.

So I tried a little Jet.

A little bit more of Buckcherry.

Then I picked up the Grammy winning American Idiot. Okay, I can see why it won, it's catchy, hard enough to warrant my attention with tracks like the title track, Holiday, Jesus of Suburbia. Boulevard of Broken Dreams not a bad tune either. Not bad, it's no Sex Pistols, but who is, plus I don't mind my limited tastes for punk being a little less harsh than TSOL punk metal, LOL.

So I pick up the rest of their catalogue, Slappy Hours, Dookie, Insomniac, Shenanigans, Warning, Kerplunk. Downloaded the two new tracks off their greatest hits. Skipped their live LP Bullet in a Bible, hate live albums generally, but given their limited catalogue, may have to get it sometime.

I gotta say, I do like 'em. It's nice to finally come upon a 'newer' band outside the classic rock genre of the 60s, 70s, and 80s that I actually can listen to. 'Idiot' is a good album, fairly commercial, but a handful of pretty well crafted songs. Some of their earlier stuff off Slappy Hours and Kerplunk runs the risk of songs sounding a lot the same, much like a lot of raw early punk or latter day AC/DC. Dookie's overrated for its popularity, IMO, but Insomniac's pretty good. I think far and away their best work is Warning, and the B-Side/rarity compilation Shenanigans. 'Misery' is the catchiest, kitschiest tune I've heard in twenty years.

Diggin' Green Day, long story short. Oops, too late.

I'd see these guys in a heartbeat if they were on tour, assuming I'd get over the real possibility I'd be the oldest fool in the arena and the kids might eat me or something.
    Last edited by Van Squalen; 03.25.08 at 11:46 PM.

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 07:14 AM
    Liked 209 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post

Ya know, me being an old geezer, it's strange to admit this, but I've really gotten into these Green Day guys this last six months.

It's hard enough, near impossible, for Olde Worlde folk like me to discover new brands in this day and age, or even explore catalogues that have been around a while that you never bothered with 'cause you generalized them from hearsay to yet another young copycat band emulating one of the pioneers (i.e., when I first started noticing Green Day's increase in popularity, I'm like "Yeah, great, Oakland boys trying to reinvent a 90s/post-Millenium pop punk scene." Turns out they manage pretty well in mixing a little Clash, a little Ramones, a little the Damned, the tiniest dash of the Pistols, a little Kinks even. It probably helps that I'm a fan of power trios (the Police and Rush being my 2nd and 3rd fave bands; technically VH could be a power trio if one disregards the lead singer toilet paper roll ).

So about half a year ago, sick to death of my entire CD collection, I said fuck it, pick up something the kids are listening to.

So I tried a little Jet.

Then I picked up the Grammy winning American Idiot. Okay, I can see why it won, it's catchy, hard enough to warrant my attention with tracks like the title track, Holiday, Jesus of Suburbia. Boulevard of Broken Dreams not a bad tune either. Not bad, it's no Sex Pistols, but who is, plus I don't mind my limited tastes for punk being a little less harsh than TSOL punk metal, LOL.

So I pick up the rest of their catalogue, Slappy Hours, Dookie, Insomniac, Shenanigans, Warning, Kerplunk. Downloaded the two new tracks off their greatest hits. Skipped their live LP Bullet in a Bible, hate live albums generally, but given their limited catalogue, may have to get it sometime.

I gotta say, I do like 'em. It's nice to finally come upon a 'newer' band outside the classic rock genre of the 60s, 70s, and 80s that I actually can listen to. 'Idiot' is a good album, fairly commercial, but a handful of pretty well crafted songs. Some of their earlier stuff off Slappy Hours and Kerplunk runs the risk of songs sounding a lot the same, much like a lot of raw early punk or latter day AC/DC. Dookie's overrated for its popularity, IMO, but Insomniac's pretty good. I think far and away their best work is Warning, and the B-Side/rarity compilation Shenanigans. 'Misery' is the catchiest, kitschiest tune I've heard in twenty years.

I'd see these guys in a heartbeat if they were on tour, assuming I'd get over the real possibility I'd be the oldest fool in the arena and the kids might eat me or something.

I was pimping these guys here last year when I said that American Idiot would go down as one of the great rock records in the last 20 years....a concept pop-punk record?.....ballsy to say the least.....like you I got into them a little late in the game, mostly due to my 11 year old, who turned me on to them....These guys are the real deal and as good as AI was I think that they have yet to reach their full potential as a band.....Green Day has yet to release their "Joshua Tree".....but I believe that it is coming......on top of all this they do a stellar live show....lots of energy and always a nod to the bands that came before them.....they have, on occasian, even covered "Runnin With The Devil".....not really a power trio though....they have a touring guitar player who also helps out in the studio, mostly uncredited........yea...I like these guys and looking forward to the next record which I hear may be out late this year......and BTW, the drummer, Tre, hangs out at my restaurant all the time......is a cool guy, just sits at the bar and shoots the shit with anyone who comes by, and even named one of our cocktails.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Jesus of Suburbia is one of my favorite "new" songs of the last 5 years or so. I always liked "Hitchin a Ride" and "Redundant" on Nimrod.

I saw them live not long after "dookie" which would have been 13-14 years ago. Even then, I felt kind of like the oldest guy in the room. I think their fan base has extended somewhat after AI, though.

Jesus of Surburbia

Redundant
    Last edited by Wickett; 03.26.08 at 01:22 PM.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Sometime in '05 there was big "American Idiot" thread, yet I'll be damned it I can find it now.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:38 AM
    Liked 1,351 Times in 927 Posts

I wonder if it was more in late 2K4 and got lost in the hack...

Album came out in September of 2004

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

More than likely, I just imagined that it carried on well into 2005.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post

So I tried a little Jet.

Old dogs CAN learn new tricks. I've been aware of GD but never really gave them a chance until my daughter got into American Idiot a couple of years ago. We have a cool thing going where I let her pick and choose from my CD collection and she turns me on to stuff she likes. Thanks to her, I have My Chemical Romance, All American Rejects, Paramour, and Green Day in my Ipod. Can't say I dig it all but there's some good stuff to be had.

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 1,636 Times in 1,005 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by steve mcqueen View Post
    I was pimping these guys here last year when I said that American Idiot would go down as one of the great rock records in the last 20 years....a concept pop-punk record?.....ballsy to say the least.....like you I got into them a little late in the game, mostly due to my 11 year old, who turned me on to them....These guys are the real deal and as good as AI was I think that they have yet to reach their full potential as a band.....Green Day has yet to release their "Joshua Tree".....but I believe that it is coming......on top of all this they do a stellar live show....lots of energy and always a nod to the bands that came before them.....they have, on occasian, even covered "Runnin With The Devil".....not really a power trio though....they have a touring guitar player who also helps out in the studio, mostly uncredited........yea...I like these guys and looking forward to the next record which I hear may be out late this year......and BTW, the drummer, Tre, hangs out at my restaurant all the time......is a cool guy, just sits at the bar and shoots the shit with anyone who comes by, and even named one of our cocktails.
    Kewl.

Yeah, definitely want to check 'em out live, I also heard they smoke in concert. Now that I'm versed in their catalogue, I could actually enjoy it.

I think since Idiot went so mainstream, they're going to have a hard time topping it, in terms of critical praise. Their next album should be a monster commercially, I'm sure.