Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:38 AM
    Liked 1,352 Times in 928 Posts

Default If I was commissioner of Major League Baseball...

This was prompted by the comments in the MLB thread

If I was commissioner of Major League Baseball, each league would go back to two divisions, which would be constituted as such:

National League:

Eastern Division:

Atlanta Braves
    Cincinnati Reds
    Florida Marlins
    New York Mets
    Philadelphia Phillies
    Pittsburgh Pirates
    Washington Nationals

Western Division:

Chicago Cubs
    Colorado Rockies
    Houston Astros
    Los Angeles Dodgers
    St. Louis Cardinals
    San Diego Padres
    San Francisco Giants

American League:

Eastern Division:

Baltimore Orioles
    Boston Red Sox
    Cleveland Indians
    Detroit Tigers
    Milwaukee Brewers
    New York Yankees
    Tampa Bay Devil Rays
    Toronto Blue Jays

Western Division:

Arizona Diamondbacks
    California Angels
    Chicago White Sox
    Kansas City Royals
    Minnesota Twins
    Oakland Athletics
    Seattle Mariners
    Texas Rangers

National League teams would play 16 games each with their own division opponents; 10 games each against three of the teams in the other division; 9 games each against the other 4.

American League teams would play 14 games each with their own division opponents; 8 games each against the teams in the other division.

There would be no Interleague play.

The playoffs would consist of the first place teams in each division playing each other in the League Championship Series, with the winners advancing to the World Series.

There would be no Designated Hitter

Teams would split the gate for each game 50/50 (after a percentage is paid into the Stadium Fund).

Teams take 100% of the concessions and parking (unless part of the money is due a municipality or unscrupuless stadium owner), unless an item sold at the concessions features the logo of another team - the profits from that item are to be split equally with the other team(s) featured.

100% of the profit from a piece of clothing or memorabilia featuring one major league team would go to that team. If an item features more than one team, the profit is spread equally amongst the team(s) featured.

A local radio or television contract is to be divided amongst the number of games broadcast, with the amount for each game split equally between the two teams being featured (i.e. 5,000,000 contract for 50 games = 100,000 per game = 50,000 for each team in each game).

A positive test for any illegal or banned substance will result in a suspension until such time as a positive test is not recorded.

The league will set aside a separate fund to help finance new stadiums instead of placing the burden on local municipalities and their taxpayers.

"California" or "Anaheim" - the choice is yours, Mr. Moreno.

anyone else want to play?

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

If I was the commish, with aboslute power, I'd do:

Have a drug policy that far exceeds the current one, and include all known performance enhancing drugs, along with recreational drugs.
    50 - 75 game suspension first offense
    1 year ban second
    lifetime ban on the third

I'd ban the DH.

I'd keep the 3 division setup, and interleague.

I'd institute a minimum and maximum salary cap.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 AM
    Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoHalen
    If I was the commish, with aboslute power, I'd do:

Have a drug policy that far exceeds the current one, and include all known performance enhancing drugs, along with recreational drugs.
    50 - 75 game suspension first offense
    1 year ban second
    lifetime ban on the third

I'd ban the DH.

I'd keep the 3 division setup, and interleague.

I'd institute a minimum and maximum salary cap.
    I like the DH.....but one thing that makes no sense is making the pitcher bat in the allstar game at a national league park....that makes NO sense because...its freakin all star game...pitchers pitch hitters hit.

and I NEVER liked interleague play and still dont. I liked only playing the other league in the world series. now that aspect of the world series is....ya know...whatever.....

salary caps are good

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    If I was commissioner, I would have the World Series home field advantage decided by whoever had the most wins in the regular season, not the All Star game.

Favorite VH Album

II
    Last Online

05.18.16 @ 10:01 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I think I like the wild card, but if I went back to two divisions I'd put the Cubs back in the East.

I would get rid of interleague play.

I would certainly get rid of the DH. I just think that pitchers are gonna think twice about beaming a guy if they know they will have bat. Then again - I think that the fights in hockey serve a purpose On the other hand, the difference between the two leagues gives the game some character.

Also - I would do away w/ the home field advantage for the world series being decided by the all star game - I think they did that b/c ppl got mad when they ended it in a tie that one year. It isn't a game, its a pageant. I think its stupid to decide home field advantage just to make the game seem like it means something.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:30 PM
    Liked 147 Times in 84 Posts

Premium Member

As commissioner of baseball, I decree that all playoff games start earlier than 8:00 PM, so that our next generation of fans doesn't fall asleep during the most important part of our season.
    ^
    ^
    ^---See that beer in my av? Brewed it myself.

VHLinks Official Brewmaster (title bought)
    Angry Turtle Brewing

Last Online

10.14.16 @ 08:38 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

The DH is lame.

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheInside1985
    I like the DH.....but one thing that makes no sense is making the pitcher bat in the allstar game at a national league park....that makes NO sense because...its freakin all star game...pitchers pitch hitters hit.
    I don't understand the DH and people who try to rationalize it completely baffle me. Why should that one player not have to bat just because they pitch? Why not have a DH for the catcher then? That would save time spent waiting on a catcher to get his gear on after he's the last out. Heck, why not just go the route of the NFL and have teams with a set of players for offense and another set for defense? Because this is Major League Baseball! If you've made it to the MLB, then you should be able to play the game. Just because you're stronger on defense doesn't mean you don't have to work on your offense. Can the Astros have a DH for Adam Everett? He's a phenomenal shortstop, but pretty weak with the bat. But there are no excuses in the NL. If you come to pitch, you better learn to handle a bat. This is baseball!

BTW, Clemens has done pretty well making the adjustment to the NL. He's no Pujols with the bat, but he's made some clutch hits. Pettitte still looks awkward with the bat, but every now and again, that blind hog finds an acorn.
    The only adventures I regret
    are the ones I missed,
    and the thought of all the pretty girls
    I never tried to kiss.
    -DLR

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:38 AM
    Liked 1,352 Times in 928 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeff spicoli
    As commissioner of baseball, I decree that all playoff games start earlier than 8:00 PM, so that our next generation of fans doesn't fall asleep during the most important part of our season.
    Man, how could I have forgotten this one? Anyone remember when the Saturday and Sunday games were actually played during the day?

And yeah, the All Star game should be what it is - a chance to see the best players from each league together for a night. Shouldn't decide anything beyond bragging rights for the winning league for a year...

Last Online

10.14.16 @ 08:38 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

C'mon, Billy. You'd have to ban Bonds immediately so that he's not immortalized for cheating. Talk about undeserving......
    The only adventures I regret
    are the ones I missed,
    and the thought of all the pretty girls
    I never tried to kiss.
    -DLR

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by billy007
    This was prompted by the comments in the MLB thread

If I was commissioner of Major League Baseball, each league would go back to two divisions, which would be constituted as such:

National League:

Eastern Division:

Atlanta Braves
    Cincinnati Reds
    Florida Marlins
    New York Mets
    Philadelphia Phillies
    Pittsburgh Pirates
    Washington Nationals

Western Division:

Chicago Cubs
    Colorado Rockies
    Houston Astros
    Los Angeles Dodgers
    St. Louis Cardinals
    San Diego Padres
    San Francisco Giants

American League:

Eastern Division:

Baltimore Orioles
    Boston Red Sox
    Cleveland Indians
    Detroit Tigers
    Milwaukee Brewers
    New York Yankees
    Tampa Bay Devil Rays
    Toronto Blue Jays

Western Division:

Arizona Diamondbacks
    California Angels
    Chicago White Sox
    Kansas City Royals
    Minnesota Twins
    Oakland Athletics
    Seattle Mariners
    Texas Rangers

National League teams would play 16 games each with their own division opponents; 10 games each against three of the teams in the other division; 9 games each against the other 4.

American League teams would play 14 games each with their own division opponents; 8 games each against the teams in the other division.

There would be no Interleague play.

The playoffs would consist of the first place teams in each division playing each other in the League Championship Series, with the winners advancing to the World Series.

There would be no Designated Hitter

Teams would split the gate for each game 50/50 (after a percentage is paid into the Stadium Fund).

Teams take 100% of the concessions and parking (unless part of the money is due a municipality or unscrupuless stadium owner), unless an item sold at the concessions features the logo of another team - the profits from that item are to be split equally with the other team(s) featured.

100% of the profit from a piece of clothing or memorabilia featuring one major league team would go to that team. If an item features more than one team, the profit is spread equally amongst the team(s) featured.

A local radio or television contract is to be divided amongst the number of games broadcast, with the amount for each game split equally between the two teams being featured (i.e. 5,000,000 contract for 50 games = 100,000 per game = 50,000 for each team in each game).

A positive test for any illegal or banned substance will result in a suspension until such time as a positive test is not recorded.

The league will set aside a separate fund to help finance new stadiums instead of placing the burden on local municipalities and their taxpayers.

"California" or "Anaheim" - the choice is yours, Mr. Moreno.

anyone else want to play?
    So what you mean to say is, (pretty much) Play it like they used to.....

Can't argue with any of those.

Oh yeah.....Fuck the DH and Fuck Interleague play.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 01:37 PM
    Liked 556 Times in 333 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I'm so sorry to rain on the traditionalist parade going on here...

I'd put the DH in the National League, too. I grew up with the NL, yet I prefer the AL now. It's more fun to watch, and to me, that's what is important.

Oh, and I could be wrong, but I think the DH can be for any player, I don't think it has to be the pitcher. I dunno, I'm just guessing there.

I'd institute massive NFL style revenue sharing, and I'd force the small market teams to spend what they get, and work to get more. I don't blame Steinbrenner for being relunctant to finance some lazy ass owner in East Bumfuck who takes the cash and puts it in his pocket. So I'd prevent that from happening, but owners need to realize they are all in this together. There is a reason the NFL is so healthy. Except in MN...

I'd stay at 3 divisions and the wildcard, since this is about the fans, and it keeps more fans interested with more teams involved.

As far as interleague, it would depend on the DH. If both leagues had the DH or didn't have the DH, I'd dump interleague play. If, however, it remained as is, then I'd play interleague, but swap rules. Pitchers hit in AL parks, DH's in NL parks. That way the fans truly get to see something different.

Definitely tighten up the steroid policy. I'd also make it retroactive - I'd keep samples, and if in 5 years that designer steroid you took becomes detectable, whatever season that sample represented gets erased from you career record. Full season ban for first positive test, two years second, lifetime third.