Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Jump

  1. #1
    Romeo Delight Sean Van Halen's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.07.01
    Age
    36
    Location
    Chicago IL, USA
    Posts
    61
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning, Van Halen, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K., Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Running With The Devil
    Last Online

    03.05.08 @ 07:26 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Jump

    I was wondering on how to get the "JUMP" sound....
    VAN HALEN IS THE WORLD!!!!!

    SEAN VAN HALEN

  2. #2
    Good Enough kowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.10.02
    Age
    32
    Location
    Peoria
    Posts
    1,917
    Last Online

    12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Likes
    12
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    What kind of keyboard do you have? (Ed used an Oberheim OB-Xa, by the way...not that you would need one of those.)

    On a synth or software synth, you could start with the oscillators set on saw wave, then just tweak the sound with the various parameters and controls until it sounds right to you. Some keyboards also allow you to download sound patches or samples to them, so perhaps you could find a patch or sound on the Internet and do it that way.

    Also, the Arturia Moog Modular plugin has a Jump preset on it.

  3. #3
    Romeo Delight Sean Van Halen's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.07.01
    Age
    36
    Location
    Chicago IL, USA
    Posts
    61
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning, Van Halen, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K., Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Running With The Devil
    Last Online

    03.05.08 @ 07:26 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kowski
    What kind of keyboard do you have? (Ed used an Oberheim OB-Xa, by the way...not that you would need one of those.)

    On a synth or software synth, you could start with the oscillators set on saw wave, then just tweak the sound with the various parameters and controls until it sounds right to you. Some keyboards also allow you to download sound patches or samples to them, so perhaps you could find a patch or sound on the Internet and do it that way.

    Also, the Arturia Moog Modular plugin has a Jump preset on it.

    I've been looking at keyboards, I've messed with them, so before I buy I want to find the one that can do it.... I would love to get my hands on the one ed has.... but thank you kowski
    VAN HALEN IS THE WORLD!!!!!

    SEAN VAN HALEN

  4. #4
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    08.13.02
    Age
    50
    Posts
    20
    Last Online

    05.22.07 @ 09:53 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Van Halen View Post
    I was wondering on how to get the "JUMP" sound....
    I know I'm dredging this thread up from the past, but thought I could shed some light here. I have an Oberheim OB-Xa and there is good news and bad news about recreating this sound. The good news is that it is pretty easy to get close to it. The bad news is that it is impossible to get it exact unless you have an OB-Xa. Nothing quite sounds like those old analogs, they are just so raw and ballsy. I recreated the sound on my OB-Xa, and you should be able to get close on most modern keyboards.

    You will need either an analog (or virtual analog) synth with two oscillators capable of generating sawtooth waveforms (a roland JP-8000 would be great for this); or, a more modern keyboard with at least two oscillators (samples) per voice and a sawtooth sample (lile a Triton or Motif or Fantom or any number of ROMplers out there).

    Kilroy
    <a href="http://www.kilroyinteractive.com" target="_blank">www.kilroyinteractive.com</a>

  5. #5
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    I know I'm dredging this thread up from the past, but thought I could shed some light here. I have an Oberheim OB-Xa and there is good news and bad news about recreating this sound. The good news is that it is pretty easy to get close to it. The bad news is that it is impossible to get it exact unless you have an OB-Xa. Nothing quite sounds like those old analogs, they are just so raw and ballsy. I recreated the sound on my OB-Xa, and you should be able to get close on most modern keyboards.

    You will need either an analog (or virtual analog) synth with two oscillators capable of generating sawtooth waveforms (a roland JP-8000 would be great for this); or, a more modern keyboard with at least two oscillators (samples) per voice and a sawtooth sample (lile a Triton or Motif or Fantom or any number of ROMplers out there).

    Kilroy
    Kilroy:

    A while back someone tried to tell me Ed also ran the OB-Xa through his guitar rig for some slight added "punch." Does this sound right to you? I've often thought "Jump" sounded more like a line from the synth.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. jump
    By santista9 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12.08.05, 10:36 PM
  2. jump vs right now?
    By edwardocatflappo in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05.02.02, 10:34 PM
  3. Jump is #4
    By Whats That Sound in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01.19.02, 07:03 PM
  4. Will it be JUMP?
    By Chad in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11.05.00, 05:32 PM
  5. did you saw Jump in VMA?
    By crossing_over in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09.08.00, 06:51 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •