Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

01.08.06 @ 05:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Guitar problem, HELP NEEDED!

I recently purchased a Frankie replica from ebay & unfortunately have encountered some problems since recieving it.

When i plug him in, theres a continuous thudding sound, thud thud thud thud thud thud, much like a galloping horse....I thought it may be a problem with the pick up, but to be quite honest im not entirely sure.

Anyone have any idea to what the problem could be & how to remody it?
    I really dont want to have to take it into an actual music store, as the ones in my area are rather expensive & charge about 30 bucks to look at your guitar.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Sounds like a problem in the signal path (obviously, DUH ). Id do the following:
    1) Switch cords (or at least jiggle yours around and see if the noise disappears or changes, if so, its your cable)
    2) If you have another axe lying around, try swapping out the output jacks. I can tell you from painful personal experience that they are prone to such weird sounds (if youve ever had your dog "have an accident" on your output jack, it really screws it up! )
    3) Does the sound appear when you plug in a different guitar to the same setup? If so, its your amp!
    I know the above are fairly common-sense type things, but if youre like me and have NO common sense, they might help.
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Last Online

01.08.06 @ 05:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I stupidly forgot to mention that ive tried a few of those already! But thanks for the reply Chris!

There is no sound problems when i plug in with a different guitar.

Changed the leads but it didnt make any difference.

The sound persists when i jiggle the lead around while its plugged in, but the volume alters slightly.

I dont really know what to do now...Its also very frustrating as i havent been able to play him properly yet ...

Last Online

06.11.16 @ 04:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This could also be a shielding/bad wiring problem. If it changes while you're moving the guitar around the room it's probably the pickups/wiring picking up some interference.

Try turning out the lights in the room. Try moving the amp & guitar to different room.

Could at least help diagnose the problem

The Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

unchained
    Last Online

12.22.07 @ 10:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default ????

who did you buy it from ???? On ebay????? I sell them all the time

Top Of The World
    Last Online

08.06.08 @ 04:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's what I'd try ...

1) try another guitar. If its happens with the other guitar then it sounds to me like the amp is "motorboating" and needs to be looked at by a tech.
    2) try a different guitar cable. If not the cable, we'll assume its the guitar.
    3) Using a screwdriver, remove the back control plate to expose the electronics in your guitar (the volume pot, output jack and the tone capacitor). Draw a picture of the wires and their connections inside the guitar (make sure you write down the values of the potentiometer and the capacitor so you know what you need to replace with if you need to). Pay special attention to the HOT wire and ground for the pickup (assuming only bridge pickup Frankie design). Using a hot soldering iron, de-solder the pickup hot wire and ground from the volume control. Also de-solder the output jack from the volume control circuit too. Now, temporarily solder the HOT wire from the pickup to the center HOT output on the jack for the guitar and the ground wire from the pickup to the output jack GROUND. PLug a guitar cable from your guitar into your amp and give it a try this way. What we did was remove the volume control circuit and we simply fed the full signal from your pickup out to your amp (as if the volume was at 100% on the guitar). Does the guitar sound fine now? If it does, replace the POT and the tone cap and you're good to go. If it doesn't, then chances are you have a bad pickup which needs to be replaced. Choices for pickups abound so have fun choosing your favorite. If you made the drawing of the wires before you started troubleshooting, you should have no trouble putting it all back together again.

If you've never soldered before ... its easy ... heat the wire with the iron then apply Rosin Core solder (never silver solder or pipe solder ... only electronics solder) directly to the connection you want to make and when it melts INTO the connection, remove the heat and let it cool.

Hope this helps. I've been in this situation before so I know how frustrating it can be. Let us know what the situation was.
    Last edited by HipCat5; 09.28.05 at 04:47 AM. Reason: add values for pot and cap ...