Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned!
    Last Online

06.26.09 @ 12:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default The Problem With A New Singer and This Board

Hey All,

Regardless if some of the board think that Chris Robinson, David Coverdale or Chris Cornell is right for VH or not, it is their choice if they want to go into a new direction with a singer that may not be an obvious choice. They also have every right to do so and still call it Van Halen. The only choice you have is buying the album or not. It is called GROWING as an artist. Many bands that have been around for years have completely changed styles or gone into other musical directions. Why can't VH? Does the lead singer requirement have to be that they can do Dave/Sammy songs live to perfection?

Paul Rodgers once made a comment about Bad Company reforming without him (on the Bad Company Box Set). Since he had no desire to reform Bad Company in the 80's - he was asked by Simon Kirke if he minded that they reformed with a new singer (Brian Howe) and at first Paul was sort of mad about the whole thing, but then realized that they (Mick Ralphs, Boz Burrell and Simon Kirke) have the right to try to earn a living and the name Bad Company is what will give them the greatest opportunity to do so. Having said that, VH are NEVER going to do as well by using The Van Halen Brothers or Eddie and Alex or VH + Chris Robinson (for example). If Eddie wants to do a solo album, that is one thing - but as a band, it will have to be known as Van Halen...be it Mark II, III or VI. I understand this. Most or all of you don't for some reason.

The problem that I find with the people on this site is the live factor. Meaning that VH can only get a new singer that can do the Dave/Sammy stuff live. I think that is bullshit. But then again - I am more of an album person and I don't go to that many concerts. So for me, what is on the album is the most important thing. I don't care if my past is represented in all it's glory live.

Having said that, if Chris Robinson, David Coverdale or Chris Cornell was the new VH singer and they released one of the best albums of the band's history - that is good enough for me. If the album is fantastic and it sells - they can build on that with future albums, a new audience and be a competitive band in today's musical climate. When it worked with Sammy in VH, there was a point when some people were saying David Lee Who?

Boo hoo that they ain't doing Panama. Besides, it seemed to work for Sammy - he hardly sang any of the Dave tunes. So fine - do the majority of the new album live and perform the songs that Robinson/Cornell/Coverdale can do from the Dave/Sammy years. But ultimately, move forward and introduce the world to the new VH. We are more bluesy now or funk rock or much heavier rock. But those Dave and Sammy years are now BEHIND US and we would like to invite you to our future.

For me, the John Corabi Motley Crue album was the best thing that band ever did. Do I wish that Corabi was the singer right from the start? You bet your ass. But when Corabi was hired - his ability to sing old Motley tunes was not really a huge factor. Nikki wanted a new band with a new singer. It didn't work for a few reasons - totally new direction, not much label support, etc. But many MC fans, still wish that Nikki stuck with Corabi as maybe VH should have done with Cherone as well.

The bottom line for me is that I would rather have 7 more VH albums with a new singer (who isn't an obvious choice) that were absolutely incredible - even if it means that the past of VH is not so much represented anymore. Fuck live - give me the new albums. We all have many albums, bootlegs, live footage, etc. to relive the past. We don't need some new singer doing Hot For Teacher. Not in my opinion anyway.

HM

Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies/Mean Street
    Last Online

12.01.17 @ 02:40 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts

Premium Member

I kind of agree, but at the same time, don't. See for me, I think Cherone was a great choice because setlists generally came down to about this. 5 Dave, 5 or 6 Gary, 4 or 5 Sam, 2 solos. That is cool school yo. Best of all worlds.
    Van Halen Reunion Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky July 6th, 2004
    "It's a little hot in here tonight!"

Van Halen 2012 Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky February 28th, 2012

Van Halen 2015 Tour
    Noblesville, Indiana September 2nd 2015

Assistant Director of Personnel
    The 3 Brigade

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I just wish they'd do a new album. It'd be preferable with Dave or Sam, but at this point, I'll take anything...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.10.10 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, well, well you make some good points. I've always said I would have loved to hear the rumored 2nd CD with Gary. I think it would have been much better than the first one.

I would love to hear more work with Dave also, but sadly I don't think we will see that happen. I could be very wrong, but I don't think so.

As for a 4th singer. I would be open to giving it a listen. But it would have to be a good choice. Coverdale, that's not a no that's a HELL NO! But a blues type thing would be a wonderful direction to see them go. Like you I don't go to many concerts. I have to really like the band to suffer through all the crowds to go to a concert. I just don't like crowds a whole lot. I love live music, but hate the the drunken asswipes that go with them. So I have to be seriously modivated to go see a band.

So I'm open for this to happen.
    "Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
    --Mark Twain

There's no one as smart as a gambler at the track putting thier last $10.00 on the longest shot of the day.

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hey man

Paul Rodgers once made a comment about Bad Company reforming without him (on the Bad Company Box Set). Since he had no desire to reform Bad Company in the 80's - he was asked by Simon Kirke if he minded that they reformed with a new singer (Brian Howe) and at first Paul was sort of mad about the whole thing, but then realized that they (Mick Ralphs, Boz Burrell and Simon Kirke) have the right to try to earn a living and the name Bad Company is what will give them the greatest opportunity to do so.

HM
    The Brian Howe version of Bad Company really wasn't half bad. They put out a Live cd in 93 that I still listen to even today. Howe sings the classics live but puts a different spin on the vocals. But nothing can top the reformation of Simon Kirke and Paul Rodgers on the live Merchants of Cool disc/dvd.
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

07.13.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by sixstring
    I just wish they'd do a new album. It'd be preferable with Dave or Sam, but at this point, I'll take anything...
    Yeah...what he said!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Hey All,

Regardless if some of the board think that Chris Robinson, David Coverdale or Chris Cornell is right for VH or not, it is their choice if they want to go into a new direction with a singer that may not be an obvious choice. They also have every right to do so and still call it Van Halen. The only choice you have is buying the album or not. It is called GROWING as an artist. Many bands that have been around for years have completely changed styles or gone into other musical directions. Why can't VH? Does the lead singer requirement have to be that they can do Dave/Sammy songs live to perfection?

Paul Rodgers once made a comment about Bad Company reforming without him (on the Bad Company Box Set). Since he had no desire to reform Bad Company in the 80's - he was asked by Simon Kirke if he minded that they reformed with a new singer (Brian Howe) and at first Paul was sort of mad about the whole thing, but then realized that they (Mick Ralphs, Boz Burrell and Simon Kirke) have the right to try to earn a living and the name Bad Company is what will give them the greatest opportunity to do so. Having said that, VH are NEVER going to do as well by using The Van Halen Brothers or Eddie and Alex or VH + Chris Robinson (for example). If Eddie wants to do a solo album, that is one thing - but as a band, it will have to be known as Van Halen...be it Mark II, III or VI. I understand this. Most or all of you don't for some reason.

The problem that I find with the people on this site is the live factor. Meaning that VH can only get a new singer that can do the Dave/Sammy stuff live. I think that is bullshit. But then again - I am more of an album person and I don't go to that many concerts. So for me, what is on the album is the most important thing. I don't care if my past is represented in all it's glory live.

Having said that, if Chris Robinson, David Coverdale or Chris Cornell was the new VH singer and they released one of the best albums of the band's history - that is good enough for me. If the album is fantastic and it sells - they can build on that with future albums, a new audience and be a competitive band in today's musical climate. When it worked with Sammy in VH, there was a point when some people were saying David Lee Who?

Boo hoo that they ain't doing Panama. Besides, it seemed to work for Sammy - he hardly sang any of the Dave tunes. So fine - do the majority of the new album live and perform the songs that Robinson/Cornell/Coverdale can do from the Dave/Sammy years. But ultimately, move forward and introduce the world to the new VH. We are more bluesy now or funk rock or much heavier rock. But those Dave and Sammy years are now BEHIND US and we would like to invite you to our future.

For me, the John Corabi Motley Crue album was the best thing that band ever did. Do I wish that Corabi was the singer right from the start? You bet your ass. But when Corabi was hired - his ability to sing old Motley tunes was not really a huge factor. Nikki wanted a new band with a new singer. It didn't work for a few reasons - totally new direction, not much label support, etc. But many MC fans, still wish that Nikki stuck with Corabi as maybe VH should have done with Cherone as well.

The bottom line for me is that I would rather have 7 more VH albums with a new singer (who isn't an obvious choice) that were absolutely incredible - even if it means that the past of VH is not so much represented anymore. Fuck live - give me the new albums. We all have many albums, bootlegs, live footage, etc. to relive the past. We don't need some new singer doing Hot For Teacher. Not in my opinion anyway.

HM
    Well said!!

Favorite VH Album

dont ask i love em all
    Favorite VH Song

ARE U KIDDING ME
    Last Online

06.16.12 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

well said , i agree totally . i just wish that the guys would ever release something or tell the fans that they are retiring . but atleast have the courtesy to say something ether way. and with the mc/ corabi that was a great album ,to bad label politics or whatever destroyed a create piece of work.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 106 Times in 43 Posts

Hey All,

HM
    You are right, they can do whatever they want. But the difinition of growing as an artist has nothing to do with replacing lead singers.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rocket,

It sure does if Eddie and Alex don't want to work with Dave or Sammy anymore and if they feel that they can't grow as artists with them in the band. THAT IS THE DEFINITION.

David Lee Roth will NEVER be back in VH and you can forever hold me to this statement. If Eddie wants to reconcile with Sammy, that is fine. He probably could be friends with him again, if he was to get his shit together. But if that isn't going to happen, they have the right to find a new singer. Even if you don't want them to.

If one wants to grow, they need to be around people that can grow with them. That is the defintion of growing. If David Lee Roth still wants to be a game show host front man with nothing to say musically (as per his recent solo albums), then VH can't work with him - IF they wanted to grow into another direction. If all four people in a band can say - yes, let's try this new musical direction...then you certainly have a band willing to do push the envelope of what the band can do musically. How's Dave gonna sound doing something different than his usual bag of tricks?

I still can't believe the people that hold onto DLR rejoining VH, as if we will get 4 more albums with him or something. Only the moronic believe that this will happen. It will be Sammy or a new guy. Period. If VH just wanted to make money and work with DLR, they would have gotten DLR back a long time ago - instead of having the months and years go by with nothing. I suspect that Eddie and Alex will more forward, when they feel they have something worthy to move forward with. DLR just isn't worth it to them.

HM
    Last edited by hey man; 09.26.05 at 04:56 PM.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:06 PM
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

Your assumption is just that, if you're presuming a new lead singer would necessarily be a step toward artistic growth. It might be, it might not be. It might be a giant step backward for all you know. Very few bands have successfully replaced a popular lead singer and survived, either commercially or artistically. You're also presuming the hold-up in new Van Halen albums (I too am an album guy...I've seen them plenty live, I'd rather have new studio music myself given a choice) is because of a singer's requirement to do the old stuff, which also isn't necessarily the case. Since 1996, what's become glaringly apparent is that whoever the lead singer is, must tolerate Ed's wacky aura as well as temper it...which, to date, seems to be a difficult task. If Dave or Sam can't manage to balance the scales, a new guy isn't going to fare better, unless he's a Yes Man, and we all know how III turned out as far as longevity goes.

The reason people insist on Dave or Sam isn't primarily because of tradition. It's because both successful versions of VH are proven formulas which also have shown the ability, in the past, to branch out artistically in different directions as the mood and era demanded.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Having included VH3 in my 6 cd changer in my truck about 5 weeks ago. I have been listening to that album ALOT, LOUD and with NO DISTRACTIONS (alone). The album fucking rocks. Take out How Many Say I (which I like btw), and Josephina and get a producer who can make the singer sound like a member of the band and not some heckler outside the studio, they could do better.

I think what bothered most was the way Gary was onstage. The man is a trained theater performer he takes that with when he is fronting a rock band, its his schtick. Roth jerks off a whiskey bottle and has the same old lines, while Sammy wears his pajamas and just about everything else that is thrown onstage. Its their own thing that makes them individuals.

Gary gave us all what we wanted for so many years. Thats something from the Dave catelog other than ATBL, YRGM, JUMP & PANAMA in concert.
    Gary actually sung the Dave songs better than Sammy did. Whats kind of funny is that I felt that Gary didn't do near as well with the Sammy stuff.

Then you take into effect how happy Eddie appeared with Gary. His playing sounded the best it did in years, it was fresh and new. He looked great, didn't look like a drunken bum and didn't appear to be wasted.

The stage was kind of a dark setting. I would love to see them bring back the 1984 tour or 5150 tour stage and make it not look so dark. Actually the 2004 cash-grab tour stage was dark as well. The concept of it was cool, but way too small.

I want any of the original 3 (if you can call them that) back as singer, but if not lets have "ROCKSTAR: VAN HALEN" and let the people narrow the choices down and then let the band decide the final outcome. But Eddie needs to sober up first or he would just look like an ass on TV.
    If they did this, it would create a buzz around the rock world and make VH relevant again because the curiosity alone would sell albums and tickets. And who knows, it just might be a kick ass unit again.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Last Online

07.12.16 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Van Halen has a singer-his name is Sammy Hagar. I make you a bet that Sammy, Ed, Al, and Mike are all contractually obligated as Van Halen. Sammy and Van Halen are managed by Irving Azoff and they only way that they would get a new singer if Van Halen the band broke with Azoff. I think Sammy is waiting for Ed to get his ass in gear, so they can do a Van Halen album and tour. Maybe Eddie is uninterested at this point in music.

If there is another Van Halen album and tour its with Hagar, period.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Van Squalin,

But that was the whole point to my post. It isn't for us to say if Chris Robinson/David Coverdale/Chris Cornell would bring artistic growth to Van Halen or not.

The point was that if Eddie and Alex feel that those artists can do for the NEW VH, what Dave and Sammy just can't - they have the right to do so and we shouldn't have such silly expectations about that new singer doing justice to old Dave/Sammy songs live - IF the guy is delivering 100% killer vocals on the new album and co-writing great songs with VH to the point that VH are being brought to a whole new level.

I never said any hold up on new VH albums was due to a requirement that they find a new singer that can do the old stuff live. I said that the people on this site have a problem with them finding a singer who can't sing the old stuff or isn't an obvious choice. People are always boo hooing about they don't hear enough DLR songs or Sammy songs. Who the fuck cares. Get whatever singer you feel would be best for Van Halen 2000 (if you can't work with Dave or Sammy) and make numerous albums despite if that person can sing even one Dave or Sammy song.

Now yes, this is all speculation - but VH did go to Chris Robinson among others in terms of "feelers", so they must have felt that maybe they were gonna go in another direction and be a new band so to speak with the brand name of Van Halen which is marketable. Maybe they wanted to try something totally out of left field - as opposed to Gary Cherone, who was pretty much forced to sing like Sammy Hagar on III. That is NOT how Gary sings. Pick up an Extreme album.

Whatever the case may be, Eddie and Alex are allowed to release music as Van Halen and not have it be Dave or Sammy. I personally welcome whatever they deem worthy as the new effort from Van Halen - even if Dave and Sammy are no longer represented to any great degree...IF the new music speaks for itself. You or anyone else certainly has the right to not buy it and continue listening to your VH library of albums, boots and whatever else you might have. I want the new music with whomever can bring out the best in Eddie and that ain't Dave or Sammy right now.

HM
    Last edited by hey man; 09.26.05 at 05:53 PM.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Van Halen Fan,

You have got to be kidding yourself. Eddie and Alex would never sign some contract as you suggested. What was signed was probably something like Paul and Gene of KISS did with Ace and Peter during the reunion tour. It is probably an association contract as in Van Halen associated with Sammy Hagar. It probably wasn't a long term contract anyway - just focused on the tour and album sales of BOBW.

HM
    Last edited by hey man; 09.26.05 at 06:00 PM.