Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

05.18.07 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Your favorite guitar!!

Just looking for something to chat about with other guitarists and I thought this might be cool. What was/is your fav guitar and what makes it so special?? Or what is your dream guitar you haven't been able to play/own yet?? I personally have..probably like you, have owned a ton of them, Wolfgangs, Les Pauls, and cheaper ones, and they all. mmmm, for the most part were great, but what makes certain ones special?? The tone...maybe a certain time and place in your life, a woman, maybe just how much you learned on that certain axe!! My first electric was a Tiesco Del ray (sp) and the action was so high it would take a pro to play it. For me right now...it is my Deluxe Players Strat...oh my freakin' God it is so nice to have a Strat that dosen't buzz! The sound is incerdible, plugged into my blues Jr it is, really a dream...I've always wanted this sound. The one that got away was a American Strat I had about six years ago...it was Alpine white with a white pickguard and damn I learned so much on that guitar that I felt like I actually had a realtionship with it. I picked it up in a pawn shop believe it or not and she did me quite well considering the $$ I paid for it. I still would love to someday even play a pre-CBS Fender, just to see the difference. Anyway, always love to talk guitars...so lets hear your story!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

I've only owned three guitars but they are all were very special to me.

Peavey Patriot-Christmas 1987

This was my first guitar. It was a dark brown mahogany guitar with a maple fretboard and a stop tailpiece. I always used to look at the guitars in the Sears catalog and liked the cheesy VH like striped guitars. About two or three months before Christmas, I broke a drumstick in band class. My mom took me to the local music store to get some new sticks and I saw some guitars in the flesh and fell in love. My mom gave me a choice that day. I could either get the guitar or the remote controlled car like the neighbor kids had. I think I made the right choice.

Peavey Vandenberg-January 1989

My guitar teacher had me check out a new guitar they had just gotten in October or November of 1988. I was a big Whitesnake fan and was ecstatic that Adrian Vandenberg was having Peavey build his guitar. (I was already happy with Peavey quality and could consider myself to be loyal to them) I didn't want a black one so I ordered it in red. The neck was really thin, it had a humbucker in the bridge position, and most of all, it had a whammy bar! Most of my learning and development as a player occured while using the Vandenberg. On a side note, a friend of mine had just started playing guitar a few years ago. About a month into playing, some crank junkie broke into his house and stole his guitar amongst other possessions. I felt terrible about it and gave him my Vandenberg. I really didn't play with it anymore and it was a backup when I played gigs. He was blown away by my stroke of charity, but I figured I learned with it, so it should be there for someone else to learn with.

Peavey Wolfgang-March 1997

I believe around November of 1995, I read an article that Ed was leaving Ernie Ball and having Peavey build his guitar. OMG, my favorite player was having my favorite company build his guitar!!! In mid 1996 somewhere, the Peavey rep brought in a white Wolfgang that's serial number was 91000020. I looked at the inspection sheet and the signature for the setup/inspected by was Ed. It was the 20th built and inspected by Eddie, how cool! Anyways, I put a deposit down that day and told them to call me when they got one. I wanted the transparent amber, but the first one they got was a red one with a quilted top. I saw it and fell in love with it. I took it home that day and the rest is history.

As many of you know, the quilt top Wolfgangs are pretty rare and desirable. It is the most valuable guitar I've owned, but all three guitars are special to me as you can see. I really wish sometimes I could find the Patriot and get it back but it probably isn't even in one piece anymore...
    Last edited by fast98dodge; 09.24.05 at 05:06 PM.
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

That is good stuff fastdodge. I think we all have let a guitar or two get away from us and we wonder where they are now...maybe a bit like a woman!!!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I love my Ibanez Iceman. I bought it in 1978 and has been my workhorse ever since.

Now, I'd love to get my hands on a 1958 Stratocaster, the wood should be light by now and the old Fenders have a feel, the only way to discribe it is that when you hold one, it holds you back.

I'd also love a Gibson 335, just a sweet, sweet guitar. Plus hollow bodies resonate into your chest cavity as you play, it's almost a spiritual experience.
    Last edited by Axxman300; 09.24.05 at 10:10 PM.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Hang 'Em High Blind Lemon Loons's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth!!
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty Whooooo! Look Out!
    Last Online

12.03.17 @ 07:20 AM
    Liked 154 Times in 114 Posts

Donor

Great God Almighty

I'd like to get myself a National Steel guitar like ol' Son House used to attack like he was truly torn between workin' for God on the pulpit and workin' fo' the ...yez YEZ YEZZAH...Ooooh well well...
    Last edited by Blind Lemon Loons; 09.25.05 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Great Boogily Moogily....great hoggily woggily
    ASHES TO ASHES...DUST TO DUST...IF THE WOMEN DON'T GET YA, THE WHISKEY MUST!!...

"I used to play the blues alone in all the local joints," he explained. 'The only thing that I can really play on guitar to this day is the blues. I heard Doc Watson and his son playing 15 years ago, and from there I got into Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker."--DLR

If you pay attention -- what I sing, the guitar sings, too, and what the guitar says, I say.--Mississippi Fred McDowell

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Lemon Loons
    I'd like to get myself a National Steel guitar like ol' Son House used to attack like he was truly torn between workin' for God on the pulpit and workin' fo' the ...yez YEZ YEZZAH...Ooooh well well...

Lemon..you are the man..btw, I'm really startin' to get into the blues...love it all!! Anyway, any suggestions for a white boy from Detroit?? You da teach...I'm the listena' bring in awn man!!! Oh, Cyber...damn nice butterscotch fininh on that Hamer!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Yez Yeah...talkin' some blues...the three b's...blues...barrelhouse&and boogie woogie

Quote Originally Posted by againstthewind
    Lemon..you are the man..btw, I'm really startin' to get into the blues...love it all!! Anyway, any suggestions for a white boy from Detroit?? You da teach...I'm the listena' bring in awn man!!! Oh, Cyber...damn nice butterscotch fininh on that Hamer!
    I kno' that John Lee Hooker and Lightnin' Slim spent a lot of time in the Motor City...as far as suggestions...I've personally been on a Howlin' Wolf kick lately...it doesn't get any bluer than the mighty Wolf...I'd say to check out some of the founding fathers and mamas first...or instead of going back to the beginning, you can start from,"Well, I really likes all the Robert Johnson covers that Eric Clapton and The Rolling Stones do or have done...maybe I'll check out Robert Johnson, Kokomo Arnold, Leroy Carr and Scrappper Blackwell, Blind Lemon Jefferson and Son House,"...or you can check out city blues, country blues, swamp blues, blues-rock, slow blues, Chicago blues, Atlanta blues, Memphis blues, Delta blues, Texas blues, Clarksdale blues, or folk blues...or you can check out labels like Alligator Records, Chess Records, Fat Possum Records, or Paramount Records...my favourites are Howlin' Wolf, Lead Belly, Muddy Waters, Son House, Robert Johnson, Tommy Johnson, Jimmy Rogers, Jimmie Rodgers, Blind Willie Johnson, Blind Joe Reynolds, Louisiana Red, R.L. Burnside, T-Model Ford, Slim Harpo, Lightnin' Slim, John Lee Hooker, David Lee Roth, Memphis Minnie, John Campbell, Koko Taylor, Albert King, Freddie King, Junior Wells,Arthur Big Boy Crudup, Buddy Guy, Willie Dixon, Johnny Shines, Robert Jr. Lockwood, Earl Zebedee Hooker, B.B. King, Etta James, Elmore James, Robert Nighthawk, Jimmy Reed, Eddie Taylor, Hubert Sumlin, David Honeyboy Edwards, Bobby Rush, Otis Rush, Sugar Pie DeSanto, Rory Block, Big Mama Thornton, Sippie Wallace, Robert Petway, Tommy McClennan, Big Joe Williams, Robert Pete Williams, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee, Sticks McGhee, Bukka White, Charlie Patton, Bo Carter, Mississippi Fred McDowell, The Mississippi Sheiks, Bessie Smith, Ma Rainey, Taj Mahal, Eddie Chief Clearwater, Magic Sam, Magic Slim, Big Joe Turner, Junior Parker, Snooky Pryor, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Lightnin' Hopkins, Peg Leg Howell, Pigmeat Markham, Daddy Stovepipe, Reverend Gary Davis, Smokey Hogg, Lonesome Sundown, Barbecue Bob, Lowell Fulson, Little Walter, Willie Johnson, The Jelly Roll Kings, and many, many mo'...there should be somethin' for everyone in the blues field nah nah yez yeah...well alright alright nah...
    Last edited by Blind Lemon Loons; 09.25.05 at 04:14 PM. Reason: The blues ain't nothin' but a good lookin' woman on yo' mind nah yez yez...well well well...Yez Yeah...Alright nah...Wella wella wellaahhh...Sho' Nuff'...FO' SHO'...
    ASHES TO ASHES...DUST TO DUST...IF THE WOMEN DON'T GET YA, THE WHISKEY MUST!!...

"I used to play the blues alone in all the local joints," he explained. 'The only thing that I can really play on guitar to this day is the blues. I heard Doc Watson and his son playing 15 years ago, and from there I got into Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker."--DLR

If you pay attention -- what I sing, the guitar sings, too, and what the guitar says, I say.--Mississippi Fred McDowell

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Your 98 year old ass just gave me a ton of inspiration...yez yez!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Yez...Yez...Yezzah...

Nah you cookin' with gazz....the pot iz on!!...make that ol' fiddle talk, boy...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Wellla...wella...wella...

An' don't forget about John Brim and Skip James...an' Steve Marriott...an' Doc And Merle Watson...an' Keb' Mo...an' Eddie Boyd...and Champion Jack Dupree...and Roosevelt"The Honeydripper"Sykes...and Otis Spann...and Curley Weaver, Frankie"Half-Pint"Jackson, Johnny Temple, Homesick James, Sylvester Weaver, Pat Hare, The North Mississippi All-Stars, The Black Keys, Albert Collins, Corey Harris, Alvin Youngblood Hart, Matt Guitar Murphy, Chris Thomas King, Captain Beefheart, an' many many mo'...yez yez...
    Last edited by Blind Lemon Loons; 09.25.05 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Yez...Yez...Yez...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

to many to name
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:25 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfiddl
    Nice dude.