Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fan Opinon

Last Online

06.10.07 @ 04:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Fan Opinon

Okay guys. No Sammy v. Dave. Letís keep it to the music.

I have searched the forums, and I didnít come across anything. To me, Eddieís playing has become more subdued over the years. I donít think it had anything to do with the direction of the band or with the addition to Sammy. It just doesnít sound as raw as it did on 1984 and before.

Iíd like to hear opinions on what you think the reason isÖand why no one that I know of has ever just asked Eddie that in an interview.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:06 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

I think that like most artists, as he aged Eddie wanted to expand his sound and style and try to incorporate some new things. Also, it's difficult for anyone to keep the edge and energy of youth. What Eddie may have given up in regards to over the top guitar pyrotechnics, he has added a lot of different shades to the scope of his overall playing.
    Also, I do think that the Sammy and Gary eras were better suited to more subdued playing as the whole band went to a more commercial place without Dave(and I'm not saying that is a good or bad thing, just depends on your taste).

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:27 PM
    Liked 1,602 Times in 984 Posts

Donor

Same reasons most band's latter day efforts tend to decrease in raw intensity; changes in tone often reflect catering to wider market appeal, technological advances in engineering and equipment evening out the crunch, band members experimenting with new sounds and directions - The Police's Ghost in the Machine vs. Outlandos D'Amour, Van Halen's I vs. 5150, Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic vs. Permanent Vacation, Rush's 2112 vs. Vapor Trails, U2's War vs. Zooropa.

The Passing of the Brown Sound.

Favorite VH Album

vhII
    Favorite VH Song

i'm the one
    Last Online

03.28.15 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, even if Dave had stayed, they probably would have continued to be a little more accessible to the mainstream, much in the same vein as Diver Down and 1984.

But they wouldn't have sucked!
    Last edited by ben halen; 09.24.05 at 12:23 PM.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Okay, but changing musically doesn't mean you have to change the "sound" of your guitar. To me, Eddie could play what he wanted as long as that "brown sound" was still there...new direction and all.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Look at Alex. To me he has gotten better with age, but his "sound" has stayed the same...new direction and all, with the obvious exception being the electronic sound of 5150.

Favorite VH Album

vhII
    Favorite VH Song

i'm the one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    Okay, but changing musically doesn't mean you have to change the "sound" of your guitar. To me, Eddie could play what he wanted as long as that "brown sound" was still there...new direction and all.
    I agree, I love the brown sound. And there's plenty of guitarists that didn't radically change the tone on their guitar over the years.
    But ultimately, it's up to the musician, regardless of what I like. Hey, why did Al use electronic drums? I can't stand them.

I don't know, maybe hiring Hagar gave Eddie the freedom to change his sound, even if it was just a way to "divorce" himself from the Roth era.

Favorite VH Album

vhII
    Favorite VH Song

i'm the one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Look at Alex. To me he has gotten better with age, but his "sound" has stayed the same...new direction and all, with the obvious exception being the electronic sound of 5150.
    Hey, I didn't read your post before I mentioned the electronic drums, so I guess we're kinda on the same wavelength.
    But when I listen to VHII, I think Al's drumming has a different sound and style than recently. I'm not a drummer, so I can't give an intelligent explanation. Maybe it's just the production and the song structure.
    Last edited by ben halen; 09.24.05 at 12:54 PM.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ben halen
    I agree, I love the brown sound. And there's plenty of guitarists that didn't radically change the tone on their guitar over the years.
    But ultimately, it's up to the musician, regardless of what I like. Hey, why did Al use electronic drums? I can't stand them.

I don't know, maybe hiring Hagar gave Eddie the freedom to change his sound, even if it was just a way to "divorce" himself from the Roth era.
    Perhaps. I think that Eddie, saw the poorly recieved 3, and decided to comeback to basics so to speak, but it wasn't "brown sound" basics, it was Sammy era basics...and very poor form of it to be honest.

I don't know, I think if Ed came back with the "song" structure of the sammy era, and the "brown sound" of the Roth era, Vh would be a viable force again. I just don't understand why Ed can't see that.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Hey, I didn't read your post before I mentioned the electronic drums, so I guess we're kinda on the same wavelength.
    But when I listen to VHII, I think Al's drumming has a different sound and style than recently. I'm not a drummer, so I can't give an intelligent explanation. Maybe it's just the production and the song structure.
    I agree...it was a different style, but his "sound" was the same to me. I think Al get's it, but Ed is just a deer in the headlights.

Last Online

05.18.07 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I think all musicians just grow...up or whatever...they don't want to keep doing the same old thing. Maybe a few here or there have stayed the same..Angus Young for ex.. and, I like Angus, but the AC/DC sound has pretty much stayed true to forrm, excluding the singer...but eventually everyone wants to try something different. Ed is supposedly the "mad scientist" behind the scenes always trying to come with a new sound...it's what he does! The guy loves to tinker..."noodle around" as he calls it! All in all though I think if you hear a VH song, it sounds like VH, just like other classic bands such as Aerosmith, Stones, Beatles etc.

Favorite VH Album

vhII
    Favorite VH Song

i'm the one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Perhaps. I think that Eddie, saw the poorly recieved 3, and decided to comeback to basics so to speak, but it wasn't "brown sound" basics, it was Sammy era basics...and very poor form of it to be honest.

I don't know, I think if Ed came back with the "song" structure of the sammy era, and the "brown sound" of the Roth era, Vh would be a viable force again. I just don't understand why Ed can't see that.
    I sense the frustration in your voice, and I feel your pain.
    But at this point, I just listen to and enjoy my VH albums and try to ignore all the what-ifs and whys.
    Then again, I'm a certified "Rothtard", so I got sick of banging my head against the wall years ago.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I sense the frustration in your voice, and I feel your pain.
    But at this point, I just listen to and enjoy my VH albums and try to ignore all the what-ifs and whys.
    Then again, I'm a certified "Rothtard", so I got sick of banging my head against the wall years ago.

Don't get me wrong, this thread wasn't born out of frustration. I just wanted to have a conversation on Ed's sound, and why people think it has or hasn't changed...without all of the obvious finger pointing about singers. You know? Just a good old VH sound discussion...nothing more.

Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies/Mean Street
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:39 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts

Premium Member

A lot of it has to do with the engineering of it as well as difference in guitars and equipment.(Steinbergers on some of 5150, Musicman on For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, and Wolfgangs on Balance).
    Van Halen Reunion Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky July 6th, 2004
    "It's a little hot in here tonight!"

Van Halen 2012 Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky February 28th, 2012

Van Halen 2015 Tour
    Noblesville, Indiana September 2nd 2015

Assistant Director of Personnel
    The 3 Brigade

Favorite VH Album

vhII
    Favorite VH Song

i'm the one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't get me wrong, this thread wasn't born out of frustration. I just wanted to have a conversation on Ed's sound, and why people think it has or hasn't changed...without all of the obvious finger pointing about singers. You know? Just a good old VH sound discussion...nothing more.
    Gotcha. Maybe frustration was the wrong word to use.

I just got the impression that you wanted Ed to return to his old sound, and the fact that he didn't bothered you.

But unfortunately, the "brown sound" and Roth kinda go hand in hand in most people's eyes, so if this "conversation" continues for a while, it's inevitably going to involve singer preference.