Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Seen this?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Default Seen this?

Has anyone seen this yet? Is this not the Dutch guy who worked on EVH's Marshall? The clips sound pretty good for the VH1 tone. I've heard better but I like them.

http://www.vanweelden.com/main.htm

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:06 PM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

You don't mean Jose Arrendondo do you, who worked on Ed's amps in the club days. Obviously he wasn't Dutch.

I remember someone worked on the old Marshall in '95 when VH was doing Balance, restoring it for Ed. Was he Dutch?
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

That's him.

He confirmed that Ed's Plexi is stock, Jose didn't modify it, etc. Actually, Ed's the one that verified Jose never modified it.

Basically, the techs in the Marshall shop back then would run out of components, and when they did, they'd fudge it with similar/like components or values of caps, tone pots, and resisitors that were lying around. I think this included brand of transformers as well, but I may be wrong.

If you ever go to Plexipalace.com, you'll see there are sooo many different cap/pot resistor values that can be used and STILL be considered an old "stock" Plexi. They know their sh*t to the point that I can't even stomach reading it. It's just too much.

I do believe this: there is a certain combination of caps/resistors/pots that make for the perfect VH amplifier "stew", but you don't need that combo in order to get within 90% of his tone. I've heard quite a few people come too close to believe otherwise, and they use the wrong pickups, etc.

He doesn't even sound the same from song-to-song, album-to-album. The only thing that remained constant was warm powertube distortion, and muted highs, without being "dark" or "weak". Almost as if the treble IS still there, but the "jagged parts" are removed. This is the same whether he's using an old PAF or an EMG.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Some of those clips sound more like Lynch or DiMartini than VH, but they're all in the same vein I suppose, anyway. Fair Warning is the gainiest tone from Ed I've heard up until Carnal Knowledge, and in that sense, it actually DOES sound similar to DiMartini, if you roll your speaker volume to one side, and isolate the guitar track. It's not really warm & fuzzy at all. Still has the muted or "clean" soft treble, though.

Just get a damn Marshall, or maybe a Tone Bone Classic pedal.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:06 PM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

Yeah I know all the stuff on Jose and that he really didn't do anything to Ed's amps (Ed just wanted to give him business), but for the sake of making my question simple, I just said that.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 09:04 AM
    Liked 7 Times in 1 Post

Not sure if you guys collect old guitar magazines.

But February 1995's issue of guitar world (Van Halen Gets Serious)has all info on this topic, the guys name is Peter Van Wheelden, and the article is found on page 63.

And yes Jose was just given props from Eddie cause times where tough for him, he had also lost his son in a vehicule accident, not sure if that was the same year though.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

5150 from LWAN
    Last Online

11.01.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Reinhold Bogner, of Bogner Amplifiers, claims he was the guy that "revitalized" Eddie's Plexi. Ed was happy. Bogner Amplification was born. At least that's what the Bogner website says. If it weren't true, Ed's bloodhounds would have ripped him a new one by now.
    "You will respect my authoritah!" Ptl.Cartman