fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Default Finally stepped into the multitrack world

bought a tascam dp-o1, digital 8 track...and did my first multitrack recording!!

played some rythmn guitar on track 1 and some lead on track2..was blown away, got hard and then had to go find the wife to take care of that,..but anyone else have one of these or similar that cares to help a novice discover what else i can do with it and how its working for you?

tascam dp-o1

thx
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

you'll have lotsa fun now...get yourself some drums and bass now....

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

i have a set of drums, and i have a keyboard, so ive got almost every other instrument in the world.. friends have bass, so that's covered..

anyone have one of these or something similar?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic - All of FW
    Last Online

@
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great stuff. Don't have a Tascam, do all recording via computer and Pro Tools. But I tell ya once you start you just get hooked. Sounds like you allready are. Wish you all the best with your recording pursuits.
    "i go over to my "ex's" place and plays really loud with wolfy....
    and it totally pisses her off...." Ed

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a Zoom 16-track. It has a onboard drum machine and tuner. The instruction book is friggin huge, larger than the manuel for the Bradley fighting vehicle (no, I'm not kidding). I've figured out how to use about 10% of the thing's capabilities. I'm going to have to get a POD or an upgrade on my Digitech amp modeler but other than that..me happy.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

yeah, i doubt i'll fully learn how to use all of this, but over time im hoping to learn what i need...bouncing, overdubs, inserts, effects, etc

On Fire
    Last Online

06.24.06 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last Spring I picked up the 2488 from Tascam. Soooooooo cool, but I found it only to be the start of many more expensive thingies. Mics, condenser mics, pre-amps, cords, etc!! Tascam had a great forum for tutorial, but I don't know if it still exists. Great advice for cut\paste, virtual tracks and such.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by perticelli
    bought a tascam dp-o1, digital 8 track...and did my first multitrack recording!!

played some rythmn guitar on track 1 and some lead on track2..was blown away, got hard and then had to go find the wife to take care of that,..but anyone else have one of these or similar that cares to help a novice discover what else i can do with it and how its working for you?

tascam dp-o1

thx
    If you don't already have a Bass, get one. Pay carefull attention to how you record/master the bass tracks, especially with rolling on/rolling off the tone knob. DON'T master the tracks with headphones, get a decent pair of monitors. Try your hand with harmonized lines, rhythm accents, etc. Experience with the drum kits and sounds, if available.

I've learned alot since my four track days, and I totally abandoned computer recording due to latency issues and lack of convenience. But if you want a good master, make sure to master on some decent monitors, they don't have to be high end, just so long as its not headphones.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by perticelli

tascam dp-o1

thx

I have one of these http://www.fostex.com/index.php?file...igital/vf160ex

nice bang for the buck.

I have a boss dr5 drum machine and a boss jam station. great for writing, but I miss jamming with real people.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

nice machine there!
    i looked at the tascam one with built in burner, but it was addtl $300(twice the price) and i have an external one already..and effects stuff..so this should do it.
    im having a hard time learning all the ins and outs and how to back and forth to the PC, but i'll get it...then i'll be dangerous!

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

My best advise is to keep it simple at first. I've used the aw4416 and owned the 16g http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/...RODUCT,00.html they are a handfull at first but once you get the bussing system down you know it for every machine basically.

With 8 tracks that's all you need right now. Find a good drum machine or drum software for now. If you start doing live drums right now you'll be in a world of pain. Tracking drums sucks at first and unless you have the room for it it's not going to be great. If you have drumming ability then you can use it to program your drums. The drum sounds/samples, and editing capability that's avaliably today should be great for any demo.

Get a bass.

Get a POD or a variant. As with drums micing a 4x12 at home sucks and a pod does a good enough job for demo's IMO.

Record everything with flat EQ, you can always tweak and add goop later, get good sounds from your gear first.

Pay attention to where you situate you instruments in your mix. A lot of guys make the mistake of putting everything dead center or they pan the fuck out everything to the point of sounding un-natural.

Have good monitors. I find that that old ns 10's give a pretty fair representation of your mix, but I always burn sample mixes and check them out in the car and home stereo system.

always have fun, once it starts sucking put it away and come back to it later, at least that works for me.
    Last edited by homeunit; 10.28.05 at 08:47 PM.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by homeunit
    My best advise is to keep it simple at first. I've used the aw4416 and owned the 16g http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/...RODUCT,00.html they are a handfull at first but once you get the bussing system down you know it for every machine basically.

With 8 tracks that's all you need right now. Find a good drum machine or drum software for now. If you start doing live drums right now you'll be in a world of pain. Tracking drums sucks at first and unless you have the room for it it's not going to be great. If you have drumming ability then you can use it to program your drums. The drum sounds/samples, and editing capability that's avaliably today should be great for any demo.

Get a bass.

Get a POD or a variant. As with drums micing a 4x12 at home sucks and a pod does a good enough job for demo's IMO.

Record everything with flat EQ, you can always tweak and add goop later, get good sounds from your gear first.

Pay attention to where you situate you instruments in your mix. A lot of guys make the mistake of putting everything dead center or they pan the fuck out everything to the point of sounding un-natural.

Have good monitors. I find that that old ns 10's give a pretty fair representation of your mix, but I always burn sample mixes and check them out in the car and home stereo system.

always have fun, once it starts sucking put it away and come back to it later, at least that works for me.

thx. that's just plain old, great fucking advice, i really appreciate it