Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Banned!
    Last Online

06.26.09 @ 12:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Was Ted Templeman More Of A Friend With Dave?

Hey All,

I was wondering and maybe this has already been discussed a 100 times, but here you have Ted producing all the David Lee Roth VH albums and then Dave is gone and they get Sammy. Was Ted not even remotely considered to produce 5150?

I also suspect that at the time, Ted must have known that if he was to produce Dave's album, he would never work with Van Halen again (even though that wasn't the case - although I think Sammy insisted on him for FUCK).

Does anyone know anything about Ted's relationship with VH, right after the Roth breakup?

Thanks,

HM

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I remember Eddie telling something about this-
    He more or less said that Ted wanted to work with Dave and it seems that hurt his feelings? -Red43j
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    It may have hurt his feelings, but in the "MTV VH Unleashed" he made it sound as if he (Ed) didnt want to work with Ted on 5150.

Didnt them Halen bros. use Mick Jones from Foreigner for 5150 ?

We'll never know, you cant ever get a straight answer from "Howdy Doody Mountain"

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by 79th and Sunset
    It may have hurt his feelings, but in the "MTV VH Unleashed" he made it sound as if he (Ed) didnt want to work with Ted on 5150.

Didnt them Halen bros. use Mick Jones from Foreigner for 5150 ?

We'll never know, you cant ever get a straight answer from "Howdy Doody Mountain"
    They pretty much did 5150 by themselves and brought Mick Jones (a close friend of Sammy's at the time) in, at the insistance of WB, to tweak just a few, very minor things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

At the time of 5150, wasn't Ed holed up with his (then) current best friend, Donn Landee?

I believe Mick Jones was forced into the picture by Warner Brothers, and Templeman had simply had enough of the drama...I recall an interview where he (Templeman) stated that "they made a better record without me...a pop record...".

Ted Templeman is on record stating how easy it was (at one time) to record VH...one simply threw some mikes up, they'd play and that was it.

As EVH became more exacting about things, the process became more tedious.

"EEAS" sounds like an early VH record, ie: very simple, uncluttered production, showing a "live feel", as was TT's specialty...he probably got tired of dealing with the complexity of recording the Doobie Brothers and the "enhanced" VH in the same time span.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:43 AM
    Liked 278 Times in 100 Posts

Donor

Didn't Ted produce Dave's solo records and was "unavailable" for VH. And wasn't he involved with FUCK?
    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge the New England Fucking Patriots, Dallas Fucking Cowboys, New York Fucking Giants, Washington Fucking Redskins, Carolina Fucking Panthers, Tampa Bay Fucking Bucs, Florida Fucking Marlins, Atlanta Fucking Braves, New York Fucking Mets, Boston Fucking Red Sox, Boston Fucking Bruins, and New Jersey Fucking Devils.

( . Y . ) Boobs!

\m/ \m/
    / / v \ \

Last Online

06.11.16 @ 04:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From what I remember Mick Jones's biggest contribution was re-arranging Dreams. Apparently the song was less poppy before he got in to it. Other than that he was more of an ear.

Wonder if the bass guitar would have been mixed in to 5150 and OU812 if Ted Templeman were there. I think Michael Anthony still has a Donn Landee voodoo doll at his house.

Favorite VH Album

VH1, FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of The World, Show No Merc
    Last Online

10.20.06 @ 08:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

TT had committed himself to EEAS so he wasn't even available for 5150. Without TT for the first time VH wanted to produce 5150 themselves, but WB insisted on an outside producer so they settled on Mick Jones. However, Mick was really more a "face" and did not really produce much of anything; it was mainly to keep WB happy.

WB was very concerned about the future of VH and felt that Dave had more potential as a solo artist. I believe scheduling conflicts also preveneted TT from working on OU812 before he signed on for Carnal Knowledge.
    Van Halen Live: 15 shows.
    Have I seen my last one?

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Red43j
    I remember Eddie telling something about this-
    He more or less said that Ted wanted to work with Dave and it seems that hurt his feelings? -Red43j
    Eddie said that Ted has a choice to make, and he respected it completely when he followed Dave. No feelings hurt in the least.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ericjt
    TT had committed himself to EEAS so he wasn't even available for 5150. Without TT for the first time VH wanted to produce 5150 themselves, but WB insisted on an outside producer so they settled on Mick Jones. However, Mick was really more a "face" and did not really produce much of anything; it was mainly to keep WB happy.

WB was very concerned about the future of VH and felt that Dave had more potential as a solo artist. I believe scheduling conflicts also preveneted TT from working on OU812 before he signed on for Carnal Knowledge.
    Mick was on the road with Foreigner, he produced about 1/16 of Dreams and that was it.