Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Stephen King fans unite!

The old one must've been lost in the hack, so here we are!

Notice all of his most horrible stuff is the hardcore horror stuff. The Tommyknockers, Dark Half, the second half of Four Past Midnight....complete drivel.

The Stand has been my all-time favorite book for the last several years
    Last edited by janthraxx; 09.15.05 at 03:54 PM.
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

'Four Past Midnight' waas the last King book I read...I dug the airplane story...

My favorite is still the Bachman Books...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SactoFan
    'Four Past Midnight' waas the last King book I read...I dug the airplane story...

The gunslinger series is great. I like most of stuff, but The Stand is his Stairway IMHO.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SactoFan

I've actually only read The Long Walk (3 times), which is totally haunting and brilliant. I tried Road Rage and Thinner, but just got bored with them.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children 1st
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:12 PM
    Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by homeunit
    The gunslinger series is great.
    Yep. I'm almost done with "Wolves of the Calla". I love how King involves characters and plots from his other books. The Gunslinger is full of 'em.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Wait until you get to VII. Some interesting surprises from other books there. And not just his own books!

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 01:12 AM
    Liked 1,633 Times in 1,004 Posts

Donor

Essential King Reading:

Dark Tower 1-7
    The Stand
    The Talisman
    Desperation

ALL his short story collections, including:
    Different Seasons
    Nightshift
    Skeleton Crew
    Nightmares and Dreamscapes
    Everything's Eventual

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm going to tack on:

The Shining
    Misery
    Eyes of the Dragon (especially those who are not fond of his horror leanings)

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I like all of his work.

It got to the point where I can no longer by King in hardback because I read his stuff straight through in about three days. I'm usually hooked within the first five paragraphs, he's got a way of sinking a hook and then I'm totally committed.

The Stand
    The Shining
    Salem's Lot

These are stand out novels, his best stuff are in his short stories. They are like a great cheesburger.

I also love his vampires.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

Donor

Salem's Lot rocks.

I also dig Needful Things.

Among his short stories' best efforts: The Jaunt, The Body, Shawshank Redemption, The Long Walk, Survivor Type, The Mist, Mrs. Todd's Shortcut, Quitters, Inc, You Know They Got a Hell of a Band, The End of the Whole Mess, Chattery Teeth, and Crouch End.

Crouch End is a humdinger. So is The Mist.

Jan, you do know there's a gunslinger short story in Everything's Eventual, I hope. In fact, Grant Press is coming out with a new edition of DT 1 - The Gunslinger, with this short story incorporated into it.

And FYI, despite his insistence he was retiring after DT 7 and the '04 Red Sox tribute book he cowrote, like many writers he changed his mind, and is coming out with a zombie novel in '06 or '07. Best part of this is he's auctioning off a part in the new book with somebody's real name.
    http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...d=auctioncause

From September 1-25, 2005, Auction Cause will be conducting an auction through eBay Giving Works in which 17 authors are auctioning the opportunity to be a character in an upcoming novel, with the proceeds being donated to the First Amendment Project, a nonprofit organization that is dedicated to protecting and promoting freedom of information, expression, and petition. The auction for the Stephen King character will be from September 8th-18th.

Would be pretty damn cool. I considered bidding myself, but damn, it's already up to 20 grand.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children 1st
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:12 PM
    Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen

Jan, you do know there's a gunslinger short story in Everything's Eventual, I hope. In fact, Grant Press is coming out with a new edition of DT 1 - The Gunslinger, with this short story incorporated into it.
    Great story, vampire style.

I was hooked on King when my 8th grade English teacher read "Battleground" to our class. Still my all time favorite King short story (You Know They Got A Hell of a Band coming in close 2nd).

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by HippieLettuce
    Great story, vampire style.

I was hooked on King when my 8th grade English teacher read "Battleground" to our class. Still my all time favorite King short story (You Know They Got A Hell of a Band coming in close 2nd).
    Nice. Battleground's a great read. My 8th grade English teacher was old school. Cutting edge fiction for her was Where the Red Fern Grows.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    Nice. Battleground's a great read. My 8th grade English teacher was old school. Cutting edge fiction for her was Where the Red Fern Grows.
    Red Fern Grows--my first-ever favorite book

Of course I know about The Little Sisters of Eluria.

I like how the auction for most writers is under 2 grand, and King's is upwards of 20K

My favorite short stories/novellas of his are Hearts in Atlantis, The Langoliers, and Autopsy Room 4 or whatever it's called from Everything Eventual.

God, I just could not get into Nightmares and Dreamscapes. Chattery Teeth:

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by janthraxx

God, I just could not get into Nightmares and Dreamscapes. Chattery Teeth:
    Yikes. You Know they Got a Hell of a Band and Crouch End are serious stuff.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Probably didn't get that far. I launched the book across somewhere around the time the Chattery Teeth were trying to bite the guy after the car accident

I'll check them out.