Favorite VH Album

Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

Ditto
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Default 95,04, What a difference.

I saw VH in 04 in Edmonton, and i was pretty impressed. I hadn't seen them since the 5150 tour. I've followed in here that the rest of the shows varied throughout the tour.
    Back in 95, i had tickets for the "Balance" tour, but then my daughter was born and that rearranged my schedule.
    Anyhow, i've just watched the 95 Balance tour in Toronto, and i realize now what a great show i must have missed.
    It is easily the tightest of heard VH play live. MA is on his game,AVH is awesome, Sammy is showing signs of the good life and has put on a few pounds, but he still goes hard, and EVH looks and plays better than he ever has, and i suspect better than he ever will again.
    It's in his eyes. The sheer joy you can see of playing straight, and playing guitar as good as anyone ever has.
    In videos like RHRN, he has a bit of a lost (fucked up) look on his face.
    But he's all there in 95, and it makes me realize a few things.

1) EVH has aged far more than 10 years, and i suspect that guy in the 95 video is gone.

2) The 04 tour wasn't as good as i'd previously thought. But i still believe that it was one of the better shows with less than a month to go in that tour.

3) Sammy looked very silly in the red pajamas he wore on stage that night. (Actually i realized that when i first saw him last year, but i haven't had the opportunity to bring it up.)

4) My daughter grew far more in those 10 years than anyone in this band did.
    Last edited by Duke; 09.13.05 at 04:15 PM.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
    I saw VH in 04 in Edmonton, and i was pretty impressed. I hadn't seen them since the 5150 tour. I've followed in here that the rest of the shows varied throughout the tour.
    Back in 95, i had tickets for the "Balance" tour, but then my daughter was born and that rearranged my schedule.
    Anyhow, i've just watched the 95 Balance tour in Toronto, and i realize now what a great show i must have missed.
    It is easily the tightest of heard VH play live. MA is on his game,AVH is awesome, Sammy is showing signs of the good life and has put on a few pounds, but he still goes hard, and EVH looks and plays better than he ever has, and i suspect better than he ever will again.
    It's in his eyes. The sheer joy you can see of playing straight, and playing guitar as good as anyone ever has.
    In videos like RHRN, he has a bit of a lost (fucked up) look on his face.
    But he's all there in 95, and it makes me realize a few things.

1) EVH has aged far more than 10 years, and i suspect that guy in the 95 video is gone.

2) The 04 tour wasn't as good as i'd previously thought. But i still believe that it was one of the better shows with less than a month to go in that tour.

3) Sammy looked very silly in the red pajamas he wore on stage that night. (Actually i realized that when i first saw him last year, but i haven't had the opportunity to bring it up.)

4) My daughter grew far more in those 10 years than anyone in this band did.
    I agree with everything you just said except the fact that Eddie i dont think played very well at all in the 'o4 tour. I think he was cocky and didnt try too hard, which effected his performance. I do think the Toronto 1995 show is the best VH show in their history.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

yes...the t.o. show is freakin great....
    didn't ed have the bad hip too...

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

You guys are right. The Toronto show was GREAT.
    I actually have a whole bunch of 95 dvds and I have to say that Ed was real tight that whole tour. I mean his guitar was RAZOR freakin sharp and he never missed a note.
    I loved the Balance tour. He had that big majestic sound.
    I loved Seventh Seal on that tour.
    Rob

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 983 Times in 396 Posts

people will laugh but i think ed's playing on the III tour was even better than the balance tour. ed was on even more then, than on the balance tour imo

his playing sucked ass at times last tour, and at times he flashed his brilliance. his playing last tour was more inconsistent, so it depends on whether or not you caught him on a good or bad night. i saw all good shows on the west coast, and a couple even better than others.

from boots i saw and heard on the III tour, i'd give ed a 9.5 even a 10 at times

last tour i'd give him a 7

he never did blow me away for an entire show, something was missing

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:42 AM
    Liked 281 Times in 135 Posts

Just for grins...

...take a peak at a 1998 vid with Gary. I know, I know... but try and put the vocals aside and LISTEN to the band. If memory serves me... they were just absolutely smokin' on 5-24-98 in Philly.

Also, check out CD's from 7-3-98 San Diego and 9-2-98 Grand Rapids, MI... the three of them sounded untouchable.
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Favorite VH Album

Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

Ditto
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spanked55
    Just for grins...

...take a peak at a 1998 vid with Gary. I know, I know... but try and put the vocals aside and LISTEN to the band. If memory serves me... they were just absolutely smokin' on 5-24-98 in Philly.

Also, check out CD's from 7-3-98 San Diego and 9-2-98 Grand Rapids, MI... the three of them sounded untouchable.
    I've heard good things about the III tour as well, and thanks i'll check these out.
    Not to turn this into a bash Ed thing but, it would seem his best playing in the post 1984 era is when he's sober. So if he's sober 95-98, when do we presume he fell off?
    I've stuck up for his 04 playing, but after seeing this 95 stuff...........
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

09.20.06 @ 08:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ed was the best before most of us saw him live.. just listen to shows from 75-77 if you can get them.. la grange, sweet emotion, eruption.. III tour stuff was at best OK by previous standards

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,191 Times in 8,988 Posts

Just another opinion, but I think the Toronto PPV is rather stale. Is VH a technically impressive band, absolutely. But the Toronto PPV shows that they just don't RAWK as much as they used to. The drop off in energy level at a VH show has dropped dramatically over the years.

Just my two cents.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ
    people will laugh but i think ed's playing on the III tour was even better than the balance tour. ed was on even more then, than on the balance tour imo

his playing sucked ass at times last tour, and at times he flashed his brilliance. his playing last tour was more inconsistent, so it depends on whether or not you caught him on a good or bad night. i saw all good shows on the west coast, and a couple even better than others.

from boots i saw and heard on the III tour, i'd give ed a 9.5 even a 10 at times

last tour i'd give him a 7

he never did blow me away for an entire show, something was missing

I would have to agree with you bro, regarding the playing on the III tour.

I'm sorry, the 2004 deal was awful in comparison...now for those of you that have the 2004 show as your first live experience, spare me the grief, as I do not mean to pee in your collective corn flakes...but I've honestly seen better.

Yet there is normally an inherrant "focus" to Ed's playing, and that was simply not present during last year's shows.

...craig
    Last edited by chefcraig; 09.14.05 at 05:51 AM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

I have been a VH fan since 1984. I think Ed was smoking all those years for sure and I loved the Dave years. I also loved the Sammy years because that is when I was going through high school back in the mid 80s and those were the anthems of my day for sure.
    For some reason I LOVED the Balance tour. I think Eds playing was razor sharp then also because his hip was really bad then and he could not move around as much so he focussed on his guitar more than jumping around.
    But you know what too? You are right. I have a recording of the Jones Beach 98 show they did and DAMN was Ed tight that night. He was also jumping around and having fun and he SMOKED on his Wolfie that night. I remember Humans Being and Ed did this little riff at the end of the song (was hoping he would do it during the 04 tour but no luck) to give it some new life and he just was hitting the notes perfectly.
    The 98 tour was also a good tour for Eds playing I think. He evolved to a less processed sound again in that tour too. Its pretty impressive when you can take away effects and still smoke on guitar. Sometimes when you have a heavy processed sound with all kinds of harmonizer and compression etc. its easier to hide mistakes.
    I still think Ed can play this good he just chooses to wing it most of the time and step out and expiriment during his live show a little more than he used to.
    My 2 cents.
    Rob

Favorite VH Album

VH1, FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of The World, Show No Merc
    Last Online

10.20.06 @ 08:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't think Ed was poor in 04 cuz he was drunk. He was poor at times cuz he was lazy & unprepared. Ed has often said he "never plays his old songs except in concert" so that means he didn't play the older stuff for a good 5 years (1999-2003) prior to rehearsals and thats where he messed up. If you listen to the 3 new songs live (well, 2 after they dropped LTS) he was almost perfect just about every show.

When he played "Panama" for example, he almost sounded like he does when they used to jam out a cover tune they don't reherse; making up notes here, missing notes there. 04 was more of a "jam" tour for Ed and it showed.

Now, the drinking/attitude is the reason we have no band right now but thats a whole different thread.
    Van Halen Live: 15 shows.
    Have I seen my last one?

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel
    Just another opinion, but I think the Toronto PPV is rather stale. Is VH a technically impressive band, absolutely. But the Toronto PPV shows that they just don't RAWK as much as they used to. The drop off in energy level at a VH show has dropped dramatically over the years.

Just my two cents.

I totally agree with you on that.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ericjt
    I don't think Ed was poor in 04 cuz he was drunk. He was poor at times cuz he was lazy & unprepared. Ed has often said he "never plays his old songs except in concert" so that means he didn't play the older stuff for a good 5 years (1999-2003) prior to rehearsals and thats where he messed up. If you listen to the 3 new songs live (well, 2 after they dropped LTS) he was almost perfect just about every show.

When he played "Panama" for example, he almost sounded like he does when they used to jam out a cover tune they don't reherse; making up notes here, missing notes there. 04 was more of a "jam" tour for Ed and it showed.

Now, the drinking/attitude is the reason we have no band right now but thats a whole different thread.
    OK...how does one justify asking people to pay for an unprepared performance?

Sorry, even children in 5th grade prepare for shows in elementary school.

I'm sorry, I will not get on the bandwagon that apologises for "poor little Eddie Van Halen".

...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

On fire, SGMAD
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:33 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i think the toronto ppv was awesome! the band were tight tight tight! i never got the chance to see them last year live got lots of boots but ya cant really tell how good or bad he was over some shitty boots... god dammed i miss this band
    "People ask me 'Dave, what's it like to be a rock and roll star?" I tell them 'It's simple: in your mind, line up every woman you've ever been with. Got 'em there? well, I wouldn't fuck any of them.'" - DLR