Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Default Day 2 and meeting Katrina headon. Part 1.

On monday morning, some of us awoke to howling winds and a shitload of rain coming down in Baton Rouge. This was around 4am or so. Me, Brooke, Phillip and David went outside under this catwalk that connected alot of the O.E.P. buildings at the LA. State Police academy. We were sheltered from the wind and rain, but just to sit outside and watch the power of this storm was nothing less than incredible. We hung out, smoking cig's and trying to fathom what was happening down in N.O. City. Keep in mind, Baton Rouge is about 70 miles or so north of New Orleans. Plus, this eye of this storm was still around 50-100 miles off of the coast of LA. After sitting outside for about 20 minutes, we head back in, and go into the command office, to see about any reports coming out of New Orleans. Inside the command center, it's a real busy place. 6 large Plasma TV's hang from the walls, computers everywhere you look, and people making phone calls in and out of the center. Only weather report we saw for N.O. was that it had 70-80 winds, sustained, with gust up to 105mph. Not to bad yet.........but the real ass-kicking part of the storm wasn't on top of N.O. yet. We left the Command center, because we felt we were just getting in the way.

Around 5am or so, most of our team was starting to get up. Outside in the main lobby of our building, were rows of coffee pots, boxes of fruits, drinks, cereal........you name it, it was prolly there for us to eat. Some of us jumped in and ate breakfest, before the place got overrun by other rescue workers coming into the center. Outside, the storm had let up a little. Weird thing about hurricane's, they'll kick ass for a while, then settle down, than start kicking ass again. Guess it all depends if a feeder band comes over your area or not, but the wind never got below 40mph.

5:45am Chief Bobby tells us all to meet in the conference room for a quick debrief. Most of the team scramble to finish breakfest, brush teeth, and finish getting gear, personal belongings in place. We arrive into the conference room...LATE, as usual. Firefighters never do what their told.. .. The Chief and the Director of the LA State Police, plus a rep from F.E.M.A begin their debrief. No news from N.O. as of yet. It's still early, plus the hight of the storm has yet to move in. We were told that we could expect severe damage in and around N.O. Possible building/home collaspe, flooding from the rain etc. NO MENTION OF POSSIBLE LEVEE BREACH. Our goal, once in N.O. was prolly going to be a house to house search to rescue people who we're left behind, or chose not to evacuate from the city. It was decided that we would be in and around the downtown area of N.O. Cool........we could do this....EASY!!! The F.E.M.A. rep stated that we could expect 3-4 feet of water in the streets of N.O. just from the rain pouring out of Katrina........again, 3-4 feet of water would not be a problem for us. Then, we were told something that we didn't expect. "YOU GUYS ARE THE ONLY FIRE DEPARTMENT U.S.A.R. TEAM FOR NEW ORLEANS, RIGHT NOW!!!" Wow, we're it???? This whole time, we were thinking that other teams where in Baton Rouge, waiting to rush into N.O. with us, but this wasn't the case. We were told that we can expect NO help from the New Orleans Fire Dept, because for obvious reasons, they were gonna have their hands full themselves. So it's us (SFD USAR) Caddo Fire District 3 and 5, and a handfull of private ambulance companies that came down from North Louisiana. Wow, this is gonna be fucked up for sure. Last thing we were told before our debrief was over, was that the N.O. Superdome was home to about 25,000 people, seeking shelter from Katrina. Ok, no biggie. Chief Bobby, informed us that he wanted us as close to New Orleans as possible, so once the storm made landfall, we'd be ready to move in. He wanted us out of Baton Rouge by 7:30am, enroute to New Orleans. It was then, we all realized we're gonna be driving into the worst part of this monster called Katrina. This didn't sit well with a few people, but the State Police had place's for us to stop, if we felt the need to seek shelter, once Katrina made landfall.

We got our assignments. 2 teams. Alpha and Bravo. Chris Shamburger and I were gonna be called, "Bravo Team 2". All of us quickly left the conference room, got our radio's, fresh batteries for our "Radio Talkies", change of clothes, food, drinks, (smokes ) and anything else we thought we would need. We were also told to expect to be in N.O. for at least 36-48 hours, before we would come back to Baton Rouge for a break. Shit!!!!!!! We were gonna be busting ass for sure. We got to our truck, (Medic 10) checked our equipment and loaded up. Medic 10 was gonna lead the convoy down I-10 into N.O. The F.E.M.A rep rode with us, that why we were chosen to lead the convoy. So, our crew consisted of, Me, Chris Shamburger, Wynn Hutto, Capt Darrell Braniff, John Gimmnich, and Jason Johnson, along with this F.E.M.A rep. Chief Bobby had us do a "Radio Par Check" which is everyone checking in to make sure all teams were loaded and ready to go. Everyone was where the needed to be. The order was given to pull out.

We make our way to I-10 and head south. It's around 8am or so. We make our way, but our pace is slow because Katrina is kicking up her heals again, rocking our truck pretty severe, along with everyone else. Chris is driving medic 10, and we advise him that if he feels uncomfortable in the conditions we were in, to pull over at any of the shelters that was mapped out for us by the state police. Chris told us that he was ok. We starting hearing radio reports from the State Police that are down in N.O. that windows are now coming out of high rise buildings, and some flooding is taking place in downtown. Keep in mind tho.......NO LEVEE BREAKS. We make it as far down as La Place La, which is a town just north of N.O. on the north side of Lake Ponchatrain. By now, the winds are, I'm guessing 130 mph. We duck off of the interstate and find shelter behind what was a Wal-Mart type building. Trees, steet signs, stop lights are flying everywhere. We're in total awe of what's happening and what we're seeing. Most of us are thinking of why are we in the middle of this shit???? From where we were parked, we were sheltered very good from the winds, thanks to the rugged building we're behind, but if you looked around you, you just saw roofs, trees getting tossed around like toys. FUCKING INCREDIBLE.

We hung out in La-Place for about 2 hours or so. We know now that the major part of the storm is ashore, and it should be quickly moving out. The noise or radio chatter coming from N.O. is silence. Nothing or nobody is talking from the city. NOT GOOD!!!!!!!!! The order was given to make our way back to I-10 and get into the city. We SLOWLY make our way, around shit that is all over the roads, down trees, powerlines and poles, but we make it out of La-Place. The town of La-Place is (FUBAR'D) for sure, but we weren't there for those people sadly, our goal was N.O.

We make our way into Jefferson Parish, which is basically the north side of the city. The damage seen from here is stunning. Shit is everywhere, and with the occasional gust of winds still coming from the backside of Katrina, more damage occured. FINALLY, we make it to I-10 and Causeway Blvd, where we had to stop. I-10 was underwater about 1 mile or so ahead of us. We stop and get out, to see where we would go from here. Wind is still gusty, but the rain had stopped. A State Police offical met us where we were at. He advised us that pretty much every path into N.O. was blocked by water, trash, trees, parts of homes and buildings. We were told that we would prolly be stuck at this location until a path could be found into N.O. The State Police was waiting for the winds to die down a little more before they launched a Helicopter Air Op, to find us a way in. So, here we sat on I-10 and Causeway, for what looked like a undetermined amount of time. We were frustrated because we couldn't get in, so we made the best of a bad situation. We ate, goofed off, and in the end, ended up treating a few patients that walked their way up to us, from around the surrounding areas. We had some people wanting us to come into their neighboorhoods to help out, but we couldn't. We had our orders. I can't tell you how bad it sucks for someone to come up to you, wanting help, and you can't do anything for them. We had to keep our team together and not become scattered out around Jefferson Parish. Finally, Air Op's for the State Police had begun. The winds were low enough for them to start flying helicopters, and to map out a pathway for us to get to New Orleans. So we continue to wait. We treat more walking wounded, just doing what we can, while we're there. Something I noticed, (Which I got a pic of) were the large number of dead birds all over the interstate. So, in some of our down time, we would get TRIAGE tags and tag these dead birds. Yes, sometimes we find humor in doing stuff like this. But for us, doing something silly as placing TRIAGE Tags on dead birds, is how we "COPE" with what we do, or find. For us, doing something like this is comic relief.

Word came that the State Police found us a route in N.O. We get the directions, we all get copies of maps, and the order was given to "Head out". We had to travel about 20 miles out of the way to get to N.O., but it didn't matter, we were moving. Looking out the window, driving down the back roads of Jefferson Parish into Orleans Parish, the destruction was mind blowing. If it was this bad out here, what would N.O. look like??? How many people are dead or hurt?? We would find out shortly!!!!!!!!

MONDAY Part 2 tomorrow. Also, keep in mind that none of the Levee's around N.O. are broken......yet!

HH
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Absolutely stunning read HH. You should write a book about this...I'd be the first in line to buy it.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Redrockinmonkeyboy
    Absolutely stunning read HH. You should write a book about this...I'd be the first in line to buy it.

What HE said!
    Meet me in Cabo!

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Reads like a screenplay. Jesus.....
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

09.20.06 @ 08:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

unf***ingbelievef***ingable...

oh.. but dont forget.. george bush doesnt care about black people

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Wow. Keep 'em coming HH, and thanks for posting your story.

HH, check your PM when you get a chance
    Last edited by janthraxx; 09.11.05 at 02:07 PM.
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Thank you HH, for taking the time to go into such detail with us. It cant be easy.
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Redrockinmonkeyboy
    It was dark and stormy night.....
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Excellent reading. Can't wait for Monday's Part II.
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Romeo Delight,
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

WOW..............

I had to read it twice and I still don't think I have even a light grasp (let alone a firm one) on the devastation you saw.

VERY well written my friend...
    "There is a fine line between stupid and clever" - Nigel Tufnel

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

HH- Thanks for this, really.

If I were you, I'd print these off after each installment. Seriously. Keep them in a box for your Grandchildred to read kind of thing. I'm sure you will end up happy you did.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Wow.

I can't imagine goin into that kind of situation.

I was just reading all the news magazines about this and just reading about the suffering was very traumatic. I can't imagine what those poor people went through.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.10.10 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

seen's right, you should be keeping copies of this HH.
    "Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
    --Mark Twain

There's no one as smart as a gambler at the track putting thier last $10.00 on the longest shot of the day.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad
    HH- Thanks for this, really.

If I were you, I'd print these off after each installment. Seriously. Keep them in a box for your Grandchildred to read kind of thing. I'm sure you will end up happy you did.
    Yeah Seen, I've thought about doing just that. I mean, this is a big event in our nations history. Ya know, I got a shitload of Pic that I want all of you to see, and there is a DVD of still pics, along with a video that we shot, and it's got music set to it. IF you or anyone else can make copies of this DVD, I think getting them out to everyone would be cool. And if people wanted to buy them, we'll get the donations of the sale of this DVD and give them to the RED CROSS or something else.

LowLife has the pic of me and Fat's Domino at the Superdome. He should be posting it, in my next installment of Monday/Tuesday day in N.O.

HH
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

04.01.11 @ 07:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Amazing. It sure irritates me that the people complained that it took too long for help to arrive. Y'all did your best!
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.
    False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil.
    Compassion is the basis of all morality.
    The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.
    www.myspace.com/getracefan8