Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default seymour duncan blackbacks

what is the story with these. i have a set and think they suck even compared to stock olp pickups. i made my clips with stock olp pickups and think they sound way better. i remember back about 8 yrs ago roman clamied these where the ebmm pickups now the story has changed what do you guys think or if you have them tell me what u think. i think they sound way to bright.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Roman is a pud!
    Listen, I don't take much of anything he says too seriously. While I think he sells a kick ass OLP (for those that haven't seen it-hes modding them to have the Floyd Rose), I dunno if I'd want to buy from him. -Red43j
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.13.12 @ 05:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From what I have seen on Duncan's forum, Roman contracted with Duncan to build these pickups for him to his specifications. They are only supposed to be available through him but like anything els if you look hard enough you can find them.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

08.06.08 @ 04:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default ... from what I remember ...

The original EVH guitars, from what I remember, came with custom DiMarzio pickups wound to Ed VH's specs. I don't remember exactly what made the bridge pickup so special but the neck pickup was would to be VERY bright so that when it was installed in the neck position, it wasn't muddy at all but really clear and articulate, even at high gain distortion levels. The bridge pickup wasn't one of those 14k highoutput pickups, if I remember correctly (I could be wrong).

Ed Roman, then working out of his CT shop, had been working for years up to that point to "revive" the Stienberger line of guitars by buying up quite a bit of Stienbergers remaining stock of necks, bodies and completed guitars and selling the parts at outragous prices. He also had a fetish for Kramer guitars. At the same time, he was working on a prototype guitar he was calling the Ed-berger which was a cross between the Stienberger GM and the Ernie Ball EVH guitar. He copied the body and all of Ed's specifications for playability down to the detail. the only problem ... DiMarzio wouldn't sell him the pickups. =) (smart move, DiMarzio). Roman, having liked his relationship with Seymour Duncan Co. went to them and had them copy the original pickups. They did an OK job from what people said, but not well enough to warrant the $200 - $250 price tag Roman sells them for. Those copies are the BlackBack pickups.

The first or second production model of the Ed-berger went to EVH himself. Roman claims EVH has played this guitar in public a few times but was told not to by Peavey when his deal was finalized. I don't recall ever seeing this Ed-berger guitar in any live pictures so I believe this claim is false. Supposedly Les West is a fan of Roman's guitars and can be seen with the so called EB-1 (Ed-berger) in a few pics on Roman's site.

Personal opinion: The Seymour Duncan JB pickup or the Custom Custom is worth checking out for EVH style tone. If you're into playing a vintage tube amp which likes the inputs hit hard, try the Custom Custom. If you're on modelers or a modern high gain amp, try the JB pickup.