Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned!
    Last Online

04.29.07 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Alex Van Halen sound

Being a huge Alex Van Halen fan I was just woundering why back in the day, he used to play those crappy electronic sounding drums. Now I AM not s huge fan of that crap!!! I mean the snare drum get's to me sometimes!! I can deal with that! but noooooooo electronic bullshit.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

08.29.11 @ 12:46 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are you kidding me, I loved when he did that. 1984 & 5150 has electric drums in them, and those Albums were one of the 2 best Albums.

Look I do prefer him playing acoustic, but itís cool that he changed it up a little.

Funny in my band I did the same thing, on my cd i played half acoustic and electric. And let me tell you I get complements all the time on my sound. Just because it sounds different than every other band.

Overall I think that was Alex's goal.
    Live by the VH attitude, die by the VH attitude.
    \mm/\mm/

"What do you wanna do with your life?

I WANNA ROCK!"

Alex Van Halen "THE BEATLES will never get back together and David Lee Roth will never again sing with VAN HALEN."
    the way it should have been link below:
    http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4...5dd0881lk8.jpg

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hmm, well that's your opinion and that's cool, but myself I am a old school guy and I prefer Alex sound to those of the greats like Bonham and Bill Ward and Ian Paice as well as many others I admire! I'm not saying that Alex is a bad drummer and NO means that's not the case, I just hate that Electric stuff like on 5150 album and when he started to use it in his drum solos in the 80's or so. But hey Alex does have some of the best chops in Biz!
    Anyway I was just stating what I like, hope it doesn't get me killed! oh my god they killed Kenny!! ha ha ha

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AJHV
    1984 & 5150 has electric drums in them...
    5150 yes, but 1984? I don't think so. E-drums were very easy to spot back then - they sounded nothing like acoustic drums. The drums sound great on 1984 (as usual), but I can't stand those e-drums on 5150. So fake and processed sounding. Sounds like a Casio keyboard drum machine or something. If the Hagar CDs ever get remastered, I wish they would re-record the drums on 5150 acoustically, but that obviously won't happen.
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

COULDN'T AGREE MORE!!!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

08.29.11 @ 12:46 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by P1
    5150 yes, but 1984? I don't think so. E-drums were very easy to spot back then - they sounded nothing like acoustic drums. The drums sound great on 1984 (as usual), but I can't stand those e-drums on 5150. So fake and processed sounding. Sounds like a Casio keyboard drum machine or something. If the Hagar CDs ever get remastered, I wish they would re-record the drums on 5150 acoustically, but that obviously won't happen.
    sorry your wrong the intro to Hot for Teacher has E-drums, also on girl gone bad the end of the song. not only that his kick drum was E-dums on that hole album
    Live by the VH attitude, die by the VH attitude.
    \mm/\mm/

"What do you wanna do with your life?

I WANNA ROCK!"

Alex Van Halen "THE BEATLES will never get back together and David Lee Roth will never again sing with VAN HALEN."
    the way it should have been link below:
    http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4...5dd0881lk8.jpg

Hang 'Em High Blind Lemon Loons's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth!!
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty Whooooo! Look Out!
    Last Online

12.03.17 @ 07:20 AM
    Liked 154 Times in 114 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by P1
    5150 yes, but 1984? I don't think so. E-drums were very easy to spot back then - they sounded nothing like acoustic drums. The drums sound great on 1984 (as usual), but I can't stand those e-drums on 5150. So fake and processed sounding. Sounds like a Casio keyboard drum machine or something.
    Yez...Yez...Yez...

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AJHV
    sorry your wrong the intro to Hot for Teacher has E-drums, also on girl gone bad the end of the song. not only that his kick drum was E-dums on that hole album
    Where did you get this information? Were you actually there, did you read it in an interview or is it just your opinion?
    An acoustic kick can be made to sound exactly like Al's kick on 1984 (through gating, EQing, tuning, head slelction, beater selection, etc.). There may be e-drums mixed in here and there, but the vast majority of 1984 is acoustic. Listen to the toms on 1984 and on 5150 - the difference is obvious.
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

09.30.15 @ 05:10 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

As a drummer, and with a keen ear to drumming...I can tell you that Alex only played an electric kit on the 5150 album. There were probably a couple times he added in an electric kit sound on 1984 (HFT and GGB), but that's it. Everything else was pure acoustic baby!

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH-II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Girl gone bad/Dreams live
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 64 Posts

His set-up for 1984 had two simmons bass drums, a couple of simmons floor toms and the rest were roto toms. I believe he also used a tama rosewood snare. The simmons brain was the SDS V and the Pads were from the SDS 5 series. By 5150 the whole kit had been rounded out by simmons pads. I have a simmons kit that I bought in 1987 because I loved the 5150 tour so much. After hearing those things I freaked! I am glad he plays acoustic drums now but I loved the simmons pad era.
    "What do you expect from a guy who makes his living beating things with a stick!"-EVH

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Again, I have to ask where this info comes from? I'm not trying to slight anyone's knowledge of VH, AVH or drums in general, but the difference between 1984 and 5150 is obvious. E-drums were very easy to spot back in the early 80s (Pyromania is a good example). Acoustic drums could be processed to sound electronic, but electronic drums just didn't sound anything like acoustic drums at that point.
    I read an interview many moons ago where EVH said the only reason they used e-drums on 5150 was because the drum room wasn't big enough for an acoustic kit, and that on 1984 the drums were set up in the main room (a room big enough for a full acoustic kit). He didn't say they didn't use e-drums on 1984, but the implication was they used acoustic drums. He flat out admitted they used e-drums on 5150 - he had to, of course, because it's so obvious.
    Now I'm not saying no electronic drums were used at all on 1984 because I wasn't there (they very well could have mixed some in here and there), but until someone comes up with some hard proof, I'll continue believing 1984 is predominantly acoustic drums.
    FWIW, I've been playing drums off and on since 6th grade (about 25 years ago), so I'm not totally talking out of my ass!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have to correct myself. I said Pyromania was an example of electronic drums in the early 80s. It was actually a drum machine (Rick Allen only played cymbals on that album), not electronic drum pads like 5150 and Hysteria. So not exactly the same, but similar.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH-II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Girl gone bad/Dreams live
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 64 Posts

I can't say 100 percent that simmons drums were used ofr the majority of 1984 but I am almost certain. If you have ever owned a simmons kit you will know how easy it is to manipulate the sounds to sound like hot for teacher. I triggered my bass drum and used a simmons pad once and it sounded just like it. I have also seen pics in one of the inside mags that looks like they were taken around 1985 that show the inside of 5150. The set there has simmons bass drums rounded out by roto toms. I would bet that this is the same/similar set up used on 1984. I agree that the simmons sounds could have been tweaked a bit better on 5150 but as AVH himself would say "The beauty of that record is that it is what it is." Just as he said when asked about the lack of bass on ou812. It would be nice to know for sure what AVH used on 1984 and how it was played(HFT). Why does everything VH have to be such a mystery???
    "What do you expect from a guy who makes his living beating things with a stick!"-EVH

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic - All of FW
    Last Online

@
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Hampshire
    I can't say 100 percent that simmons drums were used ofr the majority of 1984 but I am almost certain. If you have ever owned a simmons kit you will know how easy it is to manipulate the sounds to sound like hot for teacher. I triggered my bass drum and used a simmons pad once and it sounded just like it. I have also seen pics in one of the inside mags that looks like they were taken around 1985 that show the inside of 5150. The set there has simmons bass drums rounded out by roto toms. I would bet that this is the same/similar set up used on 1984. I agree that the simmons sounds could have been tweaked a bit better on 5150 but as AVH himself would say "The beauty of that record is that it is what it is." Just as he said when asked about the lack of bass on ou812. It would be nice to know for sure what AVH used on 1984 and how it was played(HFT). Why does everything VH have to be such a mystery???
    Alex without a doubt used electronic drums on 1984
    "i go over to my "ex's" place and plays really loud with wolfy....
    and it totally pisses her off...." Ed

Last Online

01.26.12 @ 06:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default what about rototoms?

Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds like it's a combination of rototoms and Simmons pads--unless he used a rototom sound on some of the pads???

Just for everyone's reference--Simmons pads:

...and rototoms:
    "There is no racial bigotry here...Each of you is equally worthless!" --Gunnery Sgt. Hartman, Full Metal Jacket

"I'm not a rock star, I'm a musician. And I'll be damned if someone is gonna tell me what comes through me is not what they expected." -Eddie Van Halen

"I tell ya, I've been doing this for about 20 years now, and I still haven't figured out which is the right drumstick and which is the left drumstick." -Alex Van Halen