Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up the Sky
    Last Online

01.10.12 @ 05:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Ed has a choice to make

I can empathize with the choice he has to make.

Choice 1:
    Get Dave back, do a record, tour, blah blah blah. Throw your pride down the toilet and do what everyone else says you "should" do. Throw artistic integrity away and settle.

Choice 2:
    Release something else that everyone will compare to your previous work and probably sell 20,000 copies to die-hards. Maybe tour, but probably not. Feel artistically fufilled because you did what "you" wanted to do.

But here's the bottom line:

Van Halen doesn't sell records based on their contributions to the craft of songwriting. You'll never see Van Halen rubbing elbows with the likes of Dylan or Diamond or any other songwriter/singers. I don't know what Ed expects, but he should (and hopefully does) realize that his band is a party band where little emphasis is placed on the lyrical content.

Now that doesn't mean it can *never* be that way, it's just very unlikely. Besides, Van Halen should stick to what they know and do the best: hard rockin' party music.

Look, everything has it's place. It's not to say that "hard rockin' party music" is bad when compared with some of the greatest songs of the century , it's just a completely different category.

The point is you have to feel something. When I listen to Van Halen, it gets me pumped up and makes me feel good. When I want to feel a different way, I listen to music that fits that mood.

Getting back to what Ed's choices.....

He should do whatever the hell he wants to do, but be comfortable with the result too. He should know what to expect and accept it.

It's like psychology will tell you:

You can't change someone's behavior. You can only change the way in which you deal with their behavior.

If you don't like the way Dave acts, then change the way YOU deal with it.

Last Online

06.12.07 @ 05:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Opposites attract. And these two guys could not be any more alike.

Egocenric rich control freak (DLR) teaming up with eccentric rich control freak (EVH) are two stubborn jackasses that aren't willing to let it happen easily. Time and past experiences between the two have made it next to impossible to do what these two guys do best: perform. Pride is a mile wide thick for these two, who seem like they are awlfully miserable fucks off-stage.

Dave's people call the VH camp every January (DLR said himself during this years DJ stints) so it seems he is willing to break the pride wall down but for whatever reason Ed can't.

But, to address your point about Ed getting over Dave's behavior, there seems to be more to it as Mikey recently said that they tried with Dave a few times (and it sounded more recently than 2000) and couldn't make it work.

Unless it's about the money.

It would be nice for Ed to get over it, but, as Gene Simmons said a few years back (when asked about a classic =VH= lineup), "only if Dave could behave himself."
    Talkin Some New Kicks

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Jump
    Last Online

01.09.07 @ 07:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Help me out here....you're saying Ed should do whatever he wants to, but that they should stick to being a hard rock party band, and deal with DLR?
    ~Van Halen will live on thru their music, despite their fate as a band~

*1,000 poster on the ORIGINAL "Beautiful Girls" Thread*

The Original BaronVanHalen

Banned!
    Last Online

04.29.07 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Ed has to do

Eddie Van Halen, DOESN'T have to do a fucking thing!!!! it's his life and if he chooses to do nothing at all, I.E. making music and playing in a band that he founded back in the day! then that's up to him, stop saying that he has to get dave back or sammy back and record a album and tour,BECAUSE the fans want him too! THAT'S bullshit! leave the guy alone and let him live his life!! I'm mean get really ppl he's NOT some 20yr old kid looking to make it!!!
    HE'S well passed that stage in his life, so if he wants to sit home in his studio play his guitar and write music then let him, and raise his son and enjoy LIFE the let it be, I mean what the fuck! I wounder why Ed needs to see a shrink, he's so fucked up from everyone talking in his EAR and saying you gotta do this man and you gotta do that, the guy can't even take a crap without some asshole saying hey man, get dave back and I will pay 30 million and you can tour and it will be great!! fuck that money and bullshit.

God Bless you Ed and your Son..
    May you have the strength and live a happy and long life!!!

Alex, I didn't forget you!! God Bless you too and your family.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

12.23.05 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny666
    Eddie Van Halen, DOESN'T have to do a fucking thing!!!! it's his life and if he chooses to do nothing at all, I.E. making music and playing in a band that he founded back in the day! then that's up to him, stop saying that he has to get dave back or sammy back and record a album and tour,BECAUSE the fans want him too! THAT'S bullshit! leave the guy alone and let him live his life!! I'm mean get really ppl he's NOT some 20yr old kid looking to make it!!!
    HE'S well passed that stage in his life, so if he wants to sit home in his studio play his guitar and write music then let him, and raise his son and enjoy LIFE the let it be, I mean what the fuck! I wounder why Ed needs to see a shrink, he's so fucked up from everyone talking in his EAR and saying you gotta do this man and you gotta do that, the guy can't even take a crap without some asshole saying hey man, get dave back and I will pay 30 million and you can tour and it will be great!! fuck that money and bullshit.

God Bless you Ed and your Son..
    May you have the strength and live a happy and long life!!!

Alex, I didn't forget you!! God Bless you too and your family.
    Great post, well said.
    "So what's your story? Any tread left on the tires? Or is it like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?" Stewie Griffin

Detroit Red Wings

GP 34 Record: 22-9-3

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default thank's

I wasn't sure if I was going to get some slack for what I said but that's what my heart belevies in, and I had to express it. I hope everyone understands that.

"Up for Breakfast"!!! hell ya...

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

noone actually is telling Ed what to do with his life. This is a VH fan board, we talk about VH here. When i say "Ed needs to get Dave back" or " Ed should put out a blues record" or Ed has to start anew", its what I would like to see, but means nothing in Ed's decision process.
    Guy and gals HAVE to be able to write what they want and feel about this band and its members because that's the whole reason we're here!
    im not ripping on your post kenny, it was a well written and respectful post. And you're certainly not the first or last to say Ed can do what he wants, but isnt that obvious?

This board is a VH message board, what else should people be writing?
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i agree

That was well said yourself! and I agree somewhat with you, and your right this is a VH message board the last time I checked! But I see some many things writtin about the band and some stuff gets to me, maybe becasue I'm older and very sensitive about the band, AS we all are.. I hope. but I wish someone would just write what they feel and not say what they wanna see from Eddie and Alex or whom ever is in the band, we should all celebrate what a great Rock n Roll band VH is and will always be, but I do have one thing and I beg Eddie!!! please don't do a fucking reality show!!!! ha ha ha
    I.E. Gene Simmons & Tommy Lee. Anyway thank's for reading my post and I hope everyone has a good day.

p.s. Nice to meet you all.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.09.07 @ 09:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Good Point Kenny

I have to say I agree with Kenny. I think as fans we got a little spolied last year. We all think because we've bought albums or concert tickets we can demand that Edward make a career decision in our favor. If we're all truly fans and we care so much about the guy we should be wishing him a cancer-free sober lifestyle. That's what really counts doesn't it? The guys been through a lot and it's all public knowledge. Cancer, divorce and addiction are hard enough behind closed doors but when it's being played out on a national stage in the media it's gotta be almost unbearable. Let's wish the guy well and if the music comes later then great. If not we can all say thanks for the memories.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default now that's well said

I couldn't agree more my freind! NOW that's well said!! ha ha

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 1,480 Times in 902 Posts

Van Halen's music is more than a "party band". Yes, they can rock with the best of them but their music will always stand the test of time (no pun intended). "Jump" still sound fresh today than it did 21 years ago. It's simple, catchy but it's the pieces of the puzzle that makes it great.

As for not being Dylan, I don't think that's what Ed intended to go out and be. Eddie makes HIS music and if we like it, than more power to him. It's just a shame that we don't hear more of the music that is in his studio or even in his head.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:45 PM
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by blfrd
    I don't know what Ed expects, but he should (and hopefully does) realize that his band is a party band where little emphasis is placed on the lyrical content.
    Good fuck man. VH hasn't been a "party band" for 20 years. Get over it.

And another thing... Seeing as how DLR has spit out some of the most memorable lines in rock music, your assertation that little emphasis is placed on the band's lyrical content is way off base.

Favorite VH Album

First 6
    Last Online

09.16.15 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scotty5150
    Good fuck man. VH hasn't been a "party band" for 20 years. Get over it.

And another thing... Seeing as how DLR has spit out some of the most memorable lines in rock music, your assertation that little emphasis is placed on the band's lyrical content is way off base.

You wrote EXACTLY what I was thinking!
    Class Dismissed!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.05.11 @ 03:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kenny and VHJ, my sentiments exactly! Well said.

We are all free to like or dislike Ed’s music - no question ‘bout that. But are we qualified to criticise his personal life if we haven’t lived in his shoes – or anywhere remotely close?

Those that criticise the lack of new music are often the same who criticise an apparent decline in his playing ability. So, must he play or mustn’t he? Little wonder the guy smashes guitars and goes on to write “Death by Hollywood”.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ed should be the new director of FEMA.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300