Register

Thread: Kanye West

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Kanye West

Kanye's Rant Doesn't Slow His New Album
    Rapper Kanye West's blurt-out on Friday night's telethon is still reverberating.

But one thing's for sure: His new album, "Late Registration," was already set to debut at No. 1 today on the charts. He's thought to have sold upward of a whopping 900,000 copies in his opening week.

I'm told that West was serious, by the way, when he uttered those now famous words: "George Bush doesn't care about black people."

He didn't just blurt it out anxiously. It was intentional.

The word is that West has revved up friends like Jamie Foxx, who does his Ray Charles impression on West's new album. This may not be the end of their take on how race is perceived in the music business.

Whether or not you agree or disagree with West, one thing's for sure: He's determined to make his name one way or another.

The big question will be how the Grammys receive "Late Registration," an album that's landed him on the cover of Time magazine. How will the awards judges handle all the samples and guest appearances?

West's big hit single, "Diamonds From Sierra Leone," is completely based on Shirley Bassey singing "Diamonds Are Forever." The song was written by James Bond composer John Barry.

The rest of "Late Registration," while very entertaining, contains almost no original compositions.

Ironically, singer Brandy makes an appearance on one track, even though she was dumped from the new collection of Ray Charles "duets."

The producers evidently didn't think she was hip enough to remain with Charles on record. Now she's on the No. 1 album in the country.

There are plenty of other collaborators on "Late Registration" since West, you know, like Sean "Diddy" Combs and other rap entrepreneurs, does not actually sing.

Because of this, the multi-talented John Legend makes not one, but two appearances as a guest vocalist. In those cases, Legend was hired to perform by West. So too were back-up singers Tony Williams and Keyshia Cole, as was Maroon 5's Adam Levine.

But wow — look at the sampled singers. Besides Bassey, there's Bill Withers (a track of his called "Roses" is included), as well as the KayGees, Etta James on "My Funny Valentine," Orange Krush's 1982 recording called "Action" and Natalie Cole from a Michael Masser/Gerry Goffin song called "Someone That I Used to Love."

Gil Scott-Heron, a legendary performer about whom West's fans probably know zilch, is an integral part of "Late Registration" on his sampled "Home Is Where the Hatred Is." There's also an appearance by Hank Crawford on "Drive Slow."

Will all these people be listed as Grammy nominees when the time comes? If there are winners, will they all be included? That's something I'd like to see.

"Late Registration" is fun to listen to, but in many ways it's a con job. It's a clip job, too.

Try to imagine Marvin Gaye not composing all of "What's Going On?" but splicing together other people's music and recordings over which he'd chant his musings. He would have been laughed out of the business.

But times have changed. We have Alicia Keys, Anthony Hamilton, Legend and just a few R&B performers who can actually create music. The rest has to be a clever construction.

Maybe that's why West's comments on Friday night felt so jarring. As he made his unscripted remarks about race, he was sporting his usual Ralph Lauren Polo ensemble. These would be the same clothes worn by President Bush's Kennebunkport relatives as they gaped at their television sets.

West is no N.W.A. or Chuck D. A lot of signals got crossed on Friday night. But the one that didn't is the most important: Today, "Late Registration" is No. 1, no matter how it was put together or who did it.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

So who is this clown??
    Last edited by smithjc; 09.06.05 at 11:04 AM.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smithjc
    So who is this clown??
    He is an outspoken producer that used the media to voice his comments in a childish way.
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

What's so great about this Kenya guy???

Does he have songs out or something???

I see his name pop up a lot but know nothing about him. Seems like a publicity hound tho.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

fw/f^&
    Favorite VH Song

fw/5150
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:46 PM
    Liked 40 Times in 18 Posts

u might be a racist when

i bet to him, if you do not like rap music or like him......you must be racist .....he is such a loser
    DAVE vs SAMMY

People need to let this go.....it is like comparing an ex wife to your current wife...you can say how things would have be different if she were still here but she left you, so you moved on with your life.....

Same with Van Halen...would they have liked to have Roth stay, yes...but he decided to leave so they moved on.......

and the rest is history….. well until 1996……..lol

http://forums.delphiforums.com/strictlyace750

http://mybestpet.com/bskool/welcome.asp

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjbn
    i bet to him, if you do not like rap music or like him......you must be racist .....he is such a loser
    Anyone around here remember that old SNL skit with Garrett Morris blaming everything that happened to him because he was black??? That was a funny one!!

If nobody does, then I guess I'm just an old coot with nothin but memories....
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Dave - WACF, Sam - FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight, Dream is Over
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 09:23 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by smithjc
    Anyone around here remember that old SNL skit with Garrett Morris blaming everything that happened to him because he was black??? That was a funny one!!

If nobody does, then I guess I'm just an old coot with nothin but memories....
    I don't remember that.
    If it's BROWN, flush it DOWN.

GO STEELERS!

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    This typical hood has a thread going in non. Fuck him. Out.
    Last edited by track 5; 09.06.05 at 08:36 PM.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.