Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Default 2005 NFL Offseason thread

ESPN.com news services

First Rod Gardner, now Laveranues Coles. The Washington Redskins could lose both their top receivers after an unsatisfying season in coach Joe Gibbs' offense.

Coles has met with Gibbs twice to state his desire to leave the Redskins, including a forthright conversation the day after the season ended, an official within the league told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Monday. The Redskins, in turn, have told Coles they want him to have surgery on the chronic toe injury that has plagued him the past two seasons, a procedure Coles has been reluctant to undergo, the source said.

Sources told the Washington Post that the Redskins owner Daniel Snyder and Coles' agent, Roosevelt Barnes, have reached an oral agreement that the wide receiver will likely be released, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Sources close to Coles told ESPN.com on Monday morning, however, that the Redskins were "trying to back off" their agreement to release the wide receiver and that they were trying to trade him before making such a drastic move. Gibbs also told the Washington Post that the team would attempt to trade the disgruntled receiver.

"Hopefully something will work out good for him and good for us," Gibbs was quoted as saying on the Post's Web site.

A trade would be difficult, though, since the Redskins would absorb a salary cap hit in excess of $9 million. It is also unclear what the Redskins could get for Coles -- his trade value could have been hurt by his desire to leave Washington, his drop-off in productivity last season and his nagging toe injury.

A source told the Washington Post that should Coles be released, he has agreed to pay back part of the $13 million signing bonus he received when he signed a seven-year, $35 million contract as a free agent from the New York Jets two years ago, to minimize the cap hit the Redskins would absorb.

"They can't have it both ways," said one source. "If he's going to repay part of (his signing bonus), it's because he can be a free agent, and choose where he continues his career, not to have them trade him. Honestly, it's a mess right now."

Gibbs called reporters to Redskins Park on Monday to address the Coles situation, but the coach offered few details.

"I've had talks with him," Gibbs said. "Everything that we've discussed is going to be between me and him."

Coles' meetings with Gibbs were first reported by The Washington Post, but Gibbs said the Post's report that the meetings were likely to lead to Coles' release was "inaccurate."

Last month, the Redskins granted Gardner's request to seek a trade. Coles and Gardner accounted for a combined 141 catches and 1,600 yards for the Redskins last season, but both were disenchanted with a conservative offense that produced few big plays downfield and ranked 30th overall.

"I know that was a frustration for everybody," Gibbs said.

Coles had 90 catches for 950 yards for a career-low 10.6 yards a catch and only one touchdown in the Redskins' 6-10 season. The year before, under pass-oriented coach Steve Spurrier, Coles had 82 receptions for 1,204 yards and six touchdowns.

After Gibbs' first meeting with Coles, which came a day after the season-ending victory over Minnesota, Coles stormed past reporters in the parking lot and told them to call his agent for any news about him.

While Coles has been unhappy with the offense, the Redskins have been concerned about Coles' right big toe, which has a stress fracture and became arthritic. Coles opted for rest instead of surgery after the 2003 season, but the injury continued to bother him in 2004. Gibbs has said the decision whether to have surgery is up to Coles, but the team wants him to have the procedure if he is to stay with the team, the source said.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Good Enough namedmydaughterHALEN's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

vh II OR balance
    Favorite VH Song

damn near all of them!
    Last Online

04.19.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

i heard in nfl radio that deshaun foster has been named starting rb for the carolina panthers next year. stephen davis' rehab is not progressing as hoped and he may not be ready to play next season...... you heard the scoop here!

also, i damn sure hope that carolina can resign Muhammad. hate to see him go to another team, especially the eagles!!! he needs to retire a panther!

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

Before the old board got hacked I posted that I heard Stephen Davis was going to retire. I had actually forgotten about that until you just brought up his progress at rehab. I heard he's done and will probably hang em up. We'll see though. There's a guy that the Eagles could use if he was healthy. I actually think the Birds might make a run at Maurice Clarett.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

01.03.12 @ 02:46 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece
    I actually think the Birds might make a run at Maurice Clarett.
    Is he actually going to be at the combine or is he gonna sit that one out to?
    Official driver of the "Fire Brad Childress" Bandwagon!

"Straightjacket Memories, Sedative Highs..."

"I love ya baby, but all I can think about is..."

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by spin5150
    Is he actually going to be at the combine or is he gonna sit that one out to?
    LOL I heard he's gettin very antsy about the combines and wants to put on a good showing. I'm a Buckeye's fan so in a way I'd like to see him do well, but on the other hand I remember him sitting out multiple games with a damn shoulder stinger.
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Anybody need a punter? The self-professed greatest of all-time, Todd Sauerbrun, is on the verge of being dropkicked off the Panthers' roster, probably by the end of the week. The team picked up former KC punter Steve Cheek.

Anybody need some depth at QB? Rodney Peete, who has played everywhere and has a fine, fine wife, is probably going to be scrapped, along with former Seifert-era starter Chris Weinke. Possible further trimmings may also include beat-up guard Doug Bryzynski (sp), and maybe cornerjogger Artrelle Hawkins as well.

And I'm hearing from my dubious and sundry sources that Muhammad isn't expected to take any offers to stay. I think the feeling is Moss will stay in Minnesota and Moose would get a lot of interest from around the league, so the team will be forced to let him go rather than pay $10 million to keep him. Screw it, David Patten anyone?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

01.03.12 @ 02:46 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Moss Trade Rumors Won't Die!!!!

By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports
    February 21, 2005

If the sale of the Minnesota Vikings goes through and prospective new owner Reggie Fowler gets his way – i.e., brings wide receiver Randy Moss back next season – he will need to facilitate damage repair. A mutual friend of Moss and Daunte Culpepper said this week that the two haven't spoken since the season ended and that Moss feels that Culpepper sold him out when he suggested recently that it might be time for Moss to move on.
    One thing is for sure: Moss isn't going anywhere until the Vikings are sold. As for possible suitors for Moss, the Ravens might not be as cushy a landing pad as popular perception suggests. A league source said last week that internal concern remains over Baltimore's current locker room chemistry and a fear that Moss would fracture a team that is already flush with egos.
    This just won't go away! If the sale goes through, it should be interesting for sure.
    Official driver of the "Fire Brad Childress" Bandwagon!

"Straightjacket Memories, Sedative Highs..."

"I love ya baby, but all I can think about is..."

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

I'll say it again, I don't see how trading Moss makes that team better. IMO Mike Tice isn't a very good coach, atleast not yet. They need to choose a damn RB and decide if they're gonna be a passing or running football team. Get some secondary help, better linebackers and a monster DT.
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

-- Jets Free Agency Update --
    Tue Feb 22, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com
    The Star Ledger reports the Jets may be interested in former Titans WR Derrick Mason, who was released yesterday in a salary-cap crunch. Mason, 31, played under new Jets OC Mike Heimerdinger in Tennessee, where the wideout led all NFL receivers in 2004 with a career-high 96 catches for 1,168 yards and seven TDs. He was the first player in franchise history to have four consecutive 1,000-yard receiving seasons. The Jets have made offers to NT Jason Ferguson and RB LaMont Jordan, both of whom become unrestricted free agents on March 2. They are optimistic they can reach an agreement with Ferguson but less so with Jordan. OT Kareem McKenzie will probably become a free agent. DT Josh Evan has rejected the Jets' offer of a veteran's minimum deal and will test the market. Dolphins QB Jay Fiedler, a Long Island native expected to be released, has told friends he is interested in joining the Jets as QB Chad Pennington's backup.

-- Jets Working to Reacquire Coles --
    The Star Ledger reports the Jets have had cursory talks with the Redskins about reacquiring disgruntled WR Laveranues Coles from Washington, but substantive trade discussions won't take place until at least the NFL scouting combine later this week, a person familiar with the situation said last night. Before serious talks can take place, the Redskins must first clean up their salary-cap situation. The Redskins and Coles' agent met Sunday and The Washington Post reported they reached an agreement on Coles' release, though the Redskins could be rethinking the deal because they would absorb a $9.2 million salary-cap hit. In an unprecedented move, Coles offered to waive the final $5 million installment of his $13 million signing bonus to get his release. That payment is due April 1. But the players union and the league could fight that move. One NFL source told the Post yesterday that it would be "almost impossible" for the Redskins to trade Coles because of the huge salary-cap hit. But Coles would count for $5.7 million -- still steep, but more affordable -- under the cap if he's allowed to forfeit the bonus payment.

-- Steelers Won't Tag Burress --
    The Post Gazette reports the Steelers likely won't protect WR Plaxico Burress from becoming a free agent when the deadline rolls around to designate their "franchise" player at 4 p.m. today. The Steelers will have to release some players before March 2 to comply with the NFL salary cap that goes into effect starting that day. Each team's salary cap should rise to around $85 million for 2005, up from $80.582 million last year, when the new figure is calculated soon. Despite the increase, the Steelers would be over the cap unless they cut salaries or players in the next week. At least two veterans affected by this are CB Chad Scott and Bettis. Both could be released before March 2, although in Bettis' case it might not be final. Today is the first day veterans can be released.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

The Jets want both Coles and Mason? I wonder what they're cap situation is like. Must be good I now that. If they land both of those guys that'll really open up that offense.
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Good Enough namedmydaughterHALEN's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

vh II OR balance
    Favorite VH Song

damn near all of them!
    Last Online

04.19.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Red
    And I'm hearing from my dubious and sundry sources that Muhammad isn't expected to take any offers to stay. I think the feeling is Moss will stay in Minnesota and Moose would get a lot of interest from around the league, so the team will be forced to let him go rather than pay $10 million to keep him. Screw it, David Patten anyone?

no no no....... what sources????????
    that blows... cant say i blame him though.... he should get some big money. just wish it was with carolina......

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

Donor

Default Cream of crop in free agency yet to be identified

Cream of crop in free agency yet to be identified

By Jeff Reynolds  (jreynolds@pfwmedia.com)
    Feb. 21, 2005

The cream of the free-agent crop isn't even available yet.

Nothing against Charles Woodson and Gary Baxter, two of the top available free agents at cornerback, but we'd prefer Ty Law or Patrick Surtain. Law, of the fabled $12 million cap number in New England and Surtain, holding a cap charge of $4 million less than Law and three full years younger, are more attractive at this point. The problem is, teams can only speculate as to when, and even if, either might hit the open market.

Bidding for Surtain is open, but the Dolphins want to let him go for a player or draft pick comparable to the prowess of the 28-year-old; Surtain has Pro Bowl credentials and has more interceptions in the last four years than anyone.

The CB market — scouts are sure Anthony Henry and Ken Lucas can cash in — has some value. But adding a player the caliber of Law, Surtain or Ronde Barber, rumored to be on his way out in Tampa Bay, would be too good to pass up.

So who else might join the free-agent fray? PFW spoke to a number of scouts to find out who will be filling out the Free Agency Class of 2005.

CB Ronde Barber / Buccaneers
    The problem with Barber in the eyes of most scouts is that he can’t play press coverage and is strictly a zone cornerback who has earned Pro Bowl recognition for his development as a cover-2 player. Good news, though, for Ronde — the Colts are crossing their fingers a No. 1-type cornerback finds his way to Indianapolis to lead Tony Dungy’s cover-2 defense. If Barber hits the street, expect Dungy to be there to scoop him up, with curbside-service included. The Buccaneers want him to reduce his cap figure from $4 million, but Barber has all but ignored such overtures on at least two occasions.

QB Aaron Brooks / Saints
    A base salary of $5.5 million isn’t ridiculous for a quarterback, but Brooks' development seems to have plateaued or, in the eyes of some, completely regressed. Brooks has been enigmatic at best over the last 25 games. Also, WR Jerome Pathon ($2.5 million base) won’t be back in New Orleans at that price.

LB Derrick Brooks / Buccaneers
    Salary negotiations wiggled Brooks’ base salary to $1 million for 2004, but Bruce Allen might not be able to generally manage his way out of Brooks’ cash-heavy deal this year. His cap figure exceeds $10 million, meaning Brooks takes up more than 10 percent of the total cap allotment for 2005. Among other veterans, QB Brad Johnson is headed to the guillotine because of his $5.75 million base salary this season and $6.75 million in 2006.

DE Courtney Brown / Browns
    Injuries have cost the former No. 1 pick more money than he can count. After restructuring his deal in 2004, Brown’s contract now calls for $5.5 million in 2005 and $7.5 million in ’06 with a balloon bonus that year. He has played just 47 regular-season games since being picked first overall in the 2000 draft and has 17 sacks in those five seasons.

QB Brian Griese / Buccaneers
    Griese has been stubborn to take less than market value from Tampa Bay. But, other than Dallas, San Francisco and Arizona, few opportunities exist for a starter with an unfavorable history as a long-term starter. Knowing that, the Buccaneers are likely to take contract negotiations to the final gun (March 1) and may determine at that point whether the $6 million roster bonus Griese's due March 2 can instead be made into a signing bonus, greatly reducing Griese’s cap number if he gets a few more years tagged on.

WR Az-Zahir Hakim / Lions
    He’s not worth $4 million, which is the tax bracket Hakim is in in 2005. Signed in 2002, Hakim had a solid first season with the Lions but hasn’t been the same slot-WR dynamo that he was in the Rams’ spread passing game. In the last two seasons, serious hip and ankle injuries have limited him to 17 starts and a total of 11 catches of 20-plus yards. Newcomer Roy Williams will start at “Z” for the Lions next season and Charles Rogers figures to be the “X.”

CB Ty Law / Patriots
    Law’s cap number is $12.5 million next season and he’s in the twilight of a brilliant career. Plus, he's coming back from a season-ending foot injury that reportedly included a stress fracture and ligament damage.

WR Derrick Mason / Titans - CUT
    It's not often that the NFL’s leading receiver gets dumped but Mason, who had 96 catches, more than any other wide receiver in the league, could be looking for work shortly. With QB Steve McNair, DL Kevin Carter and CB Samari Rolle expected to be potential cap cuts between now and mid-June, Mason’s release is looking more and more imminent for the cap-troubled Titans.

CB R.W. McQuarters / Bears
    There’s less room at the inn now that McQuarters, who finished the year at safety, has stiff competition from Nathan Vasher, Jerry Azumah and others. McQuarters could stay around as a hybrid defensive back, useful in a coverage-disguising scheme like Ron Rivera’s, but not at the $3.05 base salary he’s due. Just 27 years of age, McQuarters’ open-market value could be higher than some expect.

WR Muhsin Muhammad / Panthers
    Unwilling to pay the $10 million roster bonus due Muhammad for fear of crossing the “Welcome to Cap Hell” greeting mat, the Panthers feverishly worked to renegotiate the pact with a few years tagged on the contract. But the Eagles and Falcons, both of which reportedly have strong interest, have apparently persuaded Muhammad the grass can be greener.

ORT Jon Runyan / Eagles
    Runyan made $4.5 million last season and gets a $1 million raise for ’05, salary figures that his play simply doesn’t justify. Shawn Andrews, the team’s top pick in 2004, is a natural replacement whose salary is far more palatable.

OLT Chris Samuels / Redskins
    An albatross of a cap number ($9.6 million) makes moving Samuels a must for Washington. He’s not worth the level of signing bonus he could command with an extension and so, as with other veterans, Washington plans to cut its losses sooner than later. WR Laveranues Coles is reportedly ready to be released and WR Rod Gardner may be traded, leaving the Redskins holes to fill and, surprise, more money to spend.

OT Kyle Turley / Rams
    He hates his coach and, frankly, the feeling is mutual. Turley didn’t play this season (back surgery) and is a literal unknown headed into 2005. A team will take a chance on the intense offensive tackle, but the money won’t be what Turley wants it to be.

OLG Mike Wahle / Packers
    A hefty cap figure exceeding $11 million is the reason Wahle, an up-and-comer, has to be released. Green Bay wants to work on a new deal and keep Wahle in the fold, but don’t expect the Packers to get a hometown discount with Brett Favre’s future up in the air.

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

I think the free agent market stinks this year. Teams better have good scouts because the draft is going to be key. I still want the Birds to take a run at either Moose or Lamont Jordan.
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

Donor

I think Jordan will end up a Raider.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

I didn't even think about that. Yea there's a good chance of that happening.
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook