Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

02.18.12 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Royalty Question

Someone recently told me that Roth made a ton of money in 2004 because VH played several of the old songs that he helped write. I am curious if anyone out there (and I'm sure there is) knows and can share how the royalties framework is typically set up. I thought Royalties were only paid on material that is released in recorded form, not on live performances.

I'm not looking to start a thread of speculation...I'd like to hear from someone who actually KNOWS how this works. Perhaps 9 is familiar with it? Brett? Anyone?
    "I write and play music for a living, I'm not a businessman. It seems like all attorneys ever do is stir up trouble. They create problems that never existed and ream you for half your money, then they try to fix what they started and nail ya for whatever money you got left. I'll tell ya, man, I don't see how these guys sleep at night." --Edward Van Halen

Last Online

04.24.10 @ 08:04 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't believe royalties are paid from playing songs live. I think that only happens when songs are broadcast, or sold (which can happen in conjunction with a live show, obviously). Dave probably made some cash from the sales of BOBW.

Last Online

08.02.10 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Royalties ARE also paid for live performances. And in a tier system for the income of a gig. VH was charging ridiculous prices for their shows, hence probably the top of the tier for payouts. Right down to the smallest clubs, royalties are paid for the performance of live material (to the 3 major mechanical rights organizations, BMI/ASCAP/SESAC, and usually in a group dispersal type payment) by the owners of the club.
    BACK FROM IRAQ!
    OIF II SEPT 17, 2004 -APR 30, 2005

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up the Sky
    Last Online

01.10.12 @ 05:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A friend who owns a bar was recently visited by an ASCAP rep for not paying his yearly ASCAP fees. Any establishment that has live music (cover songs played) , HAS to pay ASCAP a yearly fee. If memory serves me right, it was about $1500 per year.

Sinner's Swing! the_atomic_punks_rule's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Today- Bottom's Up!
    Last Online

12.20.16 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blfrd
    A friend who owns a bar was recently visited by an ASCAP rep for not paying his yearly ASCAP fees. Any establishment that has live music (cover songs played) , HAS to pay ASCAP a yearly fee. If memory serves me right, it was about $1500 per year.

Strip clubs pay too! I wonder how they can afford it?

If it is $1500, and I do believe that is about right, figure a bar that has 2 nights of live music and plays an average of 20 songs per night, and just say 50 weeks per year,comes to 2000 songs played. That's cheaper than Itunes! The music industry is so screwed!

Last Online

02.18.12 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Thanks for the info...for anyone interested, this guy wrote a pretty good article on the topic.

http://www.woodpecker.com/writing/es...-politics.html
    "I write and play music for a living, I'm not a businessman. It seems like all attorneys ever do is stir up trouble. They create problems that never existed and ream you for half your money, then they try to fix what they started and nail ya for whatever money you got left. I'll tell ya, man, I don't see how these guys sleep at night." --Edward Van Halen

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up the Sky
    Last Online

01.10.12 @ 05:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's another excellent article from Steve Albini on how much a statndard record contracts suck:

http://www.negativland.com/albini.html

It's shocking how little a new artist who sells a million records will get paid.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:54 PM
    Liked 11,602 Times in 4,946 Posts

Dave absolutely got money from the tour, for the old songs the band played.

And yes, clubs are required to pay ASCAP fees for all of us who have gone in there and thrown out even one cover tune in a set.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:06 PM
    Liked 573 Times in 314 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Brett
    Dave absolutely got money from the tour, for the old songs the band played.

And yes, clubs are required to pay ASCAP fees for all of us who have gone in there and thrown out even one cover tune in a set.
    I thought that if a performer was one of the people who originally wrote the songs, they didn't have to pay anyone else to play it live.

'Cause that would mean Dave is paying out some serious bucks to the other guys for every show he plays, especially since he plays nearly exclusively VH songs.

Now is Dave was the only one who was credited for writing the old tunes, then he'd obviously get paid.
    But they all are listed on the credits, and I thought that meant that all four of them could start their own band and play VH tunes, and not pay anything to anyone.
    If not, then that means that Dave has been getting paid for every tour since he's been gone. And Sammy too, in 1998.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb
    I thought that if a performer was one of the people who originally wrote the songs, they didn't have to pay anyone else to play it live.

'Cause that would mean Dave is paying out some serious bucks to the other guys for every show he plays, especially since he plays nearly exclusively VH songs.

Now is Dave was the only one who was credited for writing the old tunes, then he'd obviously get paid.
    But they all are listed on the credits, and I thought that meant that all four of them could start their own band and play VH tunes, and not pay anything to anyone.
    If not, then that means that Dave has been getting paid for every tour since he's been gone. And Sammy too, in 1998.
    That's my way of thinking as well. A band can do any song it wishes during a live performance with no financial obligations to the songwriters. If a band wishes to commercially release someone else's song(s) the orginal songwriter(s) must be compensated. Taking it one step further I believe they must even receive permission before being able to record someone else's music.

At least I'm pretty sure that's the way it is.

I could be wrong. I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

12.23.05 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by EVH FANATIC
    I could be wrong. I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
    "So what's your story? Any tread left on the tires? Or is it like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?" Stewie Griffin

Detroit Red Wings

GP 34 Record: 22-9-3