Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

09.28.05 @ 11:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default The Eddie Van Halen Experience!

Ok, I just wanted to put out there my thoughts to see if someone might share them.

We all know Eddie is the most relevant guitar player of our times. However, I do sense all lot of people in this forums that express themselves like the only options that Eddie have is some kind of "Van Halen" band format (either DRL or Sammy).

I think differently. I almost hope he forgets all about the band and decides to start working on the next step in his carrier, his guitar player virtuoso carrier.

Lets see if you follow me, a talent such as Eddie's one opens a whole lot of options:

1) He can do something in the lines of Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Mailsteen, and start putting out just kick-ass guitar oriented virtuoso stuff. He can do this and tour around with Al in support of the albums. Wouldn't you go out to see them if they come to your town? And with the respect Eddie has in the guitar and rock world, I would not doubt a damn good bass player as Billy Sheehan or other would join them for the tour. I sure as hell will pay to see that.

2) He can also do something in the lines of Jimi Page, Neil Schon, Slash, Richie Blackmore, and others like them and hook up with some other well established rock personalities (singers and musicians) and do a brand new super group. Not "Van Halen", a brand new super group. Jimi Page himself has been in two of the most influential rock bands: The Yardbirds and Led Zeppelin. Richie Blackmore was responsible for also two of rock most influential bands: Rainbow and Deep Purple. Neil Schon sold a geezillion records on Bad English after Journey (although he still tours with the present water-down version of Journey). Even Slash is kicking ass in Velvet Revolver and putting out music that rocks. Like them I am sure there are a few others very successful examples putting out awesome shows and CD's like Megadeath and Audioslave to name a few.

So basically, he is not tigh up to only do "Van Halen." I would love to see him go out with a completely different, concept. Not preconceived by the notion that it should be a Van Halen version, but something new.

OK, I will start dodging tomatoes and beer cans now!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.20.09 @ 07:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just want to see the man play. I'm so over the "who is gonna be the next VH singer", and I actually hope they are too. Just go out a play already.
    "Who tha' F@*$ is Eddie Van Halen?"...scratch that..
    "WHERE tha' Fuck is Eddie Van Halen?"

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

That's "Jimmy" Page, and "Ritchie" Blackmore.

And apparently, we all have more confidence and visualised ideas than Ed Van Halen does at this point.

...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

Did you hear Ed's solo spot from the '04 tour? Do you really want 90 or 100 minutes of that?

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kowski
    Did you hear Ed's solo spot from the '04 tour? Do you really want 90 or 100 minutes of that?
    Owch...the memory is far too painful.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

Ditto
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Actually, i love this idea. and yea, i would pay to listen to eddie do 90 minutes of the solo shit.
    When i saw him last year he used the same line of "I'm just gonna fuck around here for a bit, if you get bored throw shit at me" line he apparentley used elsewhere on the tour. He wasn't being an asshole,he was trying to say, "i'm going off into my own little world here for a bit,and you're invited!!"
    i'm aware that some of the people i was with, and obviously some of the people here, don't get it.
    Folks keep saying wouldn't it be great to hang out at 5150 and just listen to Eddie jack off for a bit. to me, that's exactly what he did for about 15 minutes and i loved all of it.
    Was he at his best that night? I don't have a fucking clue,but it doesn't matter.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Well as a proponent of retiring the VH name on a high note deserving of their legacy, I'd love to see Edward out there again doing his thing. The idea first posted sounds great to me.

But as pointed out by the Chef man, some of us have a more optimistic vision than does Edward at the moment.

I was just damn glad to see them last year!!! A megaband with Edward would be great, IMO. He's got too much talent to retire now altho I'm not sure how he is health-wise.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
    Actually, i love this idea. and yea, i would pay to listen to eddie do 90 minutes of the solo shit.
    When i saw him last year he used the same line of "I'm just gonna fuck around here for a bit, if you get bored throw shit at me" line he apparentley used elsewhere on the tour. He wasn't being an asshole,he was trying to say, "i'm going off into my own little world here for a bit,and you're invited!!"
    i'm aware that some of the people i was with, and obviously some of the people here, don't get it.
    Folks keep saying wouldn't it be great to hang out at 5150 and just listen to Eddie jack off for a bit. to me, that's exactly what he did for about 15 minutes and i loved all of it.
    Was he at his best that night? I don't have a fucking clue,but it doesn't matter.
    Exactly! I could listen to Eward doodle around all day (at least I think I could, LOL)

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 854 Times in 399 Posts

Premium Member

Default Ed

I don't think it's a bad idea at all. I would rather see him with some huge, take over the whole world Van Halen tour with Dave/Sam, whoever they could get along with, but just to see him play in any way would be incredible.

Ed's solo spot on the '04 tour was different but he warned you it was gonna be. If he did the same old routine people would bitch about that. He dicks off and improvises his genius, (some nights obviously better than others) and people bitch about that. Go back to the bootleg dvd's of the last tour. I'm telling you, in the comfort of your own couch just hanging out with a beer or 12, you'll love the solo's. I think I'll drink and watch some tonight just because he's so much fucking better than anyone else on the planet.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

12.23.05 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig
    Owch...the memory is far too painful.
    I would agree with CC, I would love to listen to Ed noodle for hours when he actually gave a shit, what he did to pass time during his solo spot on the o4 tour wasn`t noodling, it was wasting time. I am so surprised that people didn`t start throwing things at him. If he gets his shit together again it would be great, but if it is a continuation of last year, no thanks.
    "So what's your story? Any tread left on the tires? Or is it like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?" Stewie Griffin

Detroit Red Wings

GP 34 Record: 22-9-3

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hack
    I don't think it's a bad idea at all. I would rather see him with some huge, take over the whole world Van Halen tour with Dave/Sam, whoever they could get along with, but just to see him play in any way would be incredible.

Ed's solo spot on the '04 tour was different but he warned you it was gonna be. If he did the same old routine people would bitch about that. He dicks off and improvises his genius, (some nights obviously better than others) and people bitch about that. Go back to the bootleg dvd's of the last tour. I'm telling you, in the comfort of your own couch just hanging out with a beer or 12, you'll love the solo's. I think I'll drink and watch some tonight just because he's so much fucking better than anyone else on the planet.
    Well Said Hack!!

Favorite VH Album

BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

Crossing over
    Last Online

04.03.12 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

40-90 min are you f**ing kidding me!?!?, after 5 it all sounds the same.
    Sam, Dave,Gary... who cares. its all about what makes you feel good.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:55 AM
    Liked 122 Times in 44 Posts

I would pay to see him play Mary Had a Little Lamb!! Don't give up on them just yet.

Last Online

05.18.07 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I would pay big bucks to see Ed anywhere on stage live doing what he does. The guy is just...well, I hate to put it this way because I am a grown man, but the guy is my hero! And I think a lot of you feel the same way or you wouldn't be on this site!! The man is great, not...WAS great, IS great. I saw two five stars last year and it was great to see him on stage that close... ripping into Drop Dead Legs, and Feel Your Love Tonight..that was magic man...are you kidding me!! I had a smile on my face the whole time...couldn't stop if I wanted to. I really get tired of so called experts on this site bashing on his sound or his last solo at this or that concert...blah, blah, blah. If those people know quality sound so damn well, then they should be so busy producing people in the music industry that they don't have time to be on this site. Do you really think with this guy, having the talent and EARS he has...that anyone here is in a position to tell him how his sound should be?? Bottom line is, I'd pay to see Ed anywhere, anytime...the single greatest musician of our time!! IMHO.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

I got no problem at all listening to what Eddie did on the 04 tour. I could sit in front of him all day and not get bored. I don't know what people are complaining about. Eddie said he was gonna fuck around and that's exactly what he did. I loved every minute of it, mistakes and all. I would also love to hear what Eddie would do on a solo project-some piano, some bass, lots of guitar, the tuba, whatever. Eddie is a truly gifted musician, and I think the music he makes that we will never get to hear is probably a lot more interesting than the official VH releases we all love. I ain't really interested in Sam or Dave anymore, but I'm still extremely intrigued with the music. Bring on an EVH solo project and bring on an Eddie and Al tour where all they do is fuck around for two hours-I'm there!