Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

06.21.12 @ 08:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Dave Meniketti (Y&T) & VH

Y&T's DAVE MENIKETTI Shoots Down Rumors He Was Approached To Join VAN HALEN - Feb. 1, 2005

Dave Meniketti of Y&T fame recently interviewed with Hardrock Haven's Derric Miller, discussing the recent releases of "UnEarthed" volumes I and II, the rumors behind him taking over as the frontman for VAN HALEN when Sammy Hagar left the band, his blues solo project, and a myriad of other topics. Here is an excerpt from the interview:

Hardrock Haven: When Sammy left VAN HALEN, were there any queries from the band to gauge your interest in replacing him as their frontman?

Meniketti: "No, I never got anything, no. There was a lot of speculation from individuals and people on different forums, talking about 'Dave Meniketti and VAN HALEN,' so on and so forth. But you know what? They never called me."

Hardrock Haven: Would you have given it a thought?

Meniketti: "I don't know I certainly was asked a lot about it, and at that time, when it was first happening, I just said, 'No.' You know? And I'll tell you why. It's not because I don't like VAN HALEN, I think they are great. I respect all those guys in the band. I always feel like, if you are taking someone else's place, especially someone who was so much a part of what that band is all about, you are really heading into deep water there. I know, for what Sammy did, it actually pulled his head out of the sand, out of the old David Lee Roth band, and really made an impression. It was THE thing he did that was right in his career, no question about it. That really put him over the top. You know, if I was the second singer maybe. If I was the fourth singer, or whatever, in VAN HALEN, absolutely not. The way I feel about those guys is, if they can't get either of their first two singers back to play, I don't want to have any part or anything to do with it. You know, I don't think they should go on. It's too confusing to the fans, it bastardizes the band and their entire career, you know, to me and I just wouldn't have wanted to be a part of that."

You can hear the interview in its entirety at www.hardrockhaven.net. You will need the Windows Media Player to stream the interview.
    "There is just enough Christ in me, to make me feel almost guilty"

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Pretty cool. Dave can sing his ass off and play a mean guitar too. That would have been cool, but I agree with his stance. Sam, Dave or pack it up. Just pick a damn singer already and get out and push!
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep, he sure can. I just saw Y&T play a couple of weeks ago. I would have loved to see them play with Van Halen last summer!

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Not too many Y&T fans on the board I don't think. I never see them mentioned, and they're such a great band. Sometimes I forget how great a player Dave is until I put on a Y&T cd. The man can tear it up. Sam can get down too, but I think Dave would smoke him.

Last edited by SuckaInA3Piece; 08.28.05 at 08:11 PM.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nope, I don't think there are. I haven't posted on here since the tour ended last year! Y&T are actually playing some east coast dates this fall (New York, New Jersey & VA), and are playing with Firehouse in Utah.

You should come check out their forum at www.yandtrocks.com. Great bunch of people on there!

By the way, that is a great shot of Dave. Where is it from? Concord Pavilion??

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece
    Not too many Y&T fans on the board I don't think. I never see them mentioned, and they're such a great band. Sometimes I forget how great a player Dave is until I put on a Y&T cd. The man can tear it up. Sam can get down too, but I think Dave would smoke him.

Put me down as a Y&T fan. They're relatively local and worked the NorCal club circut hard back in the day. Don't think Dave would have been a good fit for Van Halen though. He gave the best reasons in his interview but could you imagine being the "New" Dave in VH?

Y&T was just a great solid blue-collar hard rock band.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea, Axxman...I totally agree with you. Wouldn't be a good fit at all, but I would LOVE to see Dave do a song or two with Eddie and co. But as far as him being IN VH, no way. Y&T actually played Santa Cruz a couple of weeks ago. I saw them in Fairfield when I was in town. It was great to see them again!

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece

I couldn't agree with you more Sucka, on all points! I love playin' a lil Y&T every now and then!

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300
    Put me down as a Y&T fan. They're relatively local and worked the NorCal club circut hard back in the day. Don't think Dave would have been a good fit for Van Halen though. He gave the best reasons in his interview but could you imagine being the "New" Dave in VH?

Y&T was just a great solid blue-collar hard rock band.
    Hey count me in on this one. I believe I've mentioned Y&T songs on the song thread. I was in the Bay Area back in the day and these guys were all over the place, just like Night Ranger and yep even Sammy.

Dave belongs with Y&T, there's nobody else that can duplicate his vocals and his playin!!
    Last edited by smithjc; 08.28.05 at 08:55 PM.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.03.15 @ 02:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Two of the best albums of the 80's! I saw these guys in 1984 at a great old theater that used to be here. The place was built for operas and symphonies and the acoustics were perfect. Absolutely one of the best shows I ever saw!

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MrBrownSound

Two of the best albums of the 80's! I saw these guys in 1984 at a great old theater that used to be here. The place was built for operas and symphonies and the acoustics were perfect. Absolutely one of the best shows I ever saw!
    Who can forget those killer covers???
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

get out there and purchase their Unearthed volumes 1 & 2! Good stuff!

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Davis5150
    get out there and purchase their Unearthed volumes 1 & 2! Good stuff!
    Uhhhhhhh...................OKAY!!!

I still have my old Black Tiger cassette!!
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

10.04.07 @ 10:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah I really liked Y&T back in the day...Until recently I didn't even know they were still around, glad to hear they are!

I remember when people used to ask me my favortite song (in general...not Y&T). I always said Meanstreet (VH). And people used to say I love Y&T...and I always had to explain that Y&Ts song was Meanstreak and that I was talking about Halen's Meanstreet hahaha.

Meanstreak was very cool too, but it was no Meanstreet... Are you with me?
    Dance baby!

I remember of the original rumor back in '84-85 that Meniketti may replace Roth, which I thought would have been kinda cool. But Hagar had a much larger following already and I think was somewhat critical to their success.

I really don't think Cherone was that bad (stop, wait don't kick me). I saw that 3 tour and they sounded VERY tight, and Without You and Fire In the Hole rocked. It was a matter of circumstance plus an over produced record... But what Meniketti said was probably true... I think ANYONE would have been doomed. Except for MAYBE Coverdale (which was a rumor anyway). That really hurt Cherone's career...

Just my 2 cents.
    --Peavey EVH Wolfgang Standard-Black; 5150 Half Stack
    "In the 7th grade, James Sanford got me in to Santana and Van Halen. Who knows what the hell I would have been listening to otherwise. Thanks man, wherever you are!"-JD5150

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

I didn't know that either til recently!!

That Mean Street/Mean Streak is funny!! I think we've all heard that one!!

I think their song Summertime Girls keeps them around since that's all the radio seems to play. Their video to that one was pretty cool, for back in the day. I like the ending!!

My all-time fave song from these guys has to be Forever, followed closely by Black Tiger. There's another slow song on there called Winds of Change (least that's what I think it's called) that I really liked. My Way or The Highway's pretty good too.

I really need to re-buy (is that a word?) that one!!
    Last edited by smithjc; 08.29.05 at 03:38 PM.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen