Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

12.23.05 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Default Ray Daniels interview from 1996..

Saw this at the Army, not sure if it's legit, or if the guy that posted it is, maybe Max or Nick can chime in:

Special Report

Van Halen vs Sammy Hagar

An Interview with Ray Danniels

Sammy Hagar recently told the press he blamed manager Ray Danniels for his exit from Van Halen. Hagar said if longtime manager Ed Leffler was still alive, the split would have never happened. Hagar said the dispute with Danniels stemmed from the manager's idea of releasing a "best of" package; Hagar vehemently opposed the idea. Hagar said Leffler and the entire band had agreed to focus on new material rather than look back. Hagar refused to go into the studio for a "best of " release but did agree to record two songs for the "Twister" soundtrack. When he discovered that one of the songs was being used for the "best of" record, he said he felt conned. Then, when he got into a dispute with Eddie Van Halen over one of the songs lyrics, he discovered his band mates had already been "secretly" recording with David Lee Roth. Hagar said he was devastated and disappointed, especially since the band brought Roth into the studio. "I've been with this band for 11 years and I now that David Lee Roth was the enemy," he said. "The three of the guys in the band hated him more than anyone on the planet." In a rare interview, Danniels answers some of Hagar's allegations.

Q: Was Hagar conned into doing a song for the "best of" release?

A: No one was tricked into doing anything. Sam knew for a year there were discussions about a "best of" record. The reason he didn't like the idea was based on not wanting to have his material on the same record as Roth. Throughout Leffler's tenure and since Sam came into the band, he (Hagar) had done everything he could to ignore that part of the group's history. He felt that this was going to expose that and create comparisons and [make people] pick singer one or singer two. I, on the other hand, felt that was insanity. After 10 years plus, get over it.

Q: Hagar says a "best of" record will the make the band look bad.

A: That's just absurd. He did his own greatest hits record right after Ed Leffler passed away. [And] within their contract, Warner Bros. had the rights to a greatest hits record. Sammy had signed that deal. Ed Leffler had signed that deal. The other guys had signed that deal. I didn't create something that wasn't already there. And there are many active artists with greatest hits records. Elton John has got at least three of them. Eric Clapton has numerous. Billy Joel has numerous. And what about Bruce Springsteen: is that a dead act? I don't think so.

Q: What instigated the work on a collection at this time?

A: Eddie brought it up saying, "How come we've never had one. I can't believe it." It became a topic of conversation and I picked up on it and said, "Let me check your contract." I came back to them and said, "One day this is going to happen. Do it now. Why not? You're coming off a successful record." What I didn't want was this to be something that happened later. That may have suited Sam's purpose. It didn't suit the band's purpose as a whole.

Q: Hagar said Roth was viewed as public enemy No. 1 to his band mates. Then Hagar said he had no ill will towards Roth. How do you see it?

A: At the point these guys separated 11 or 12 years ago, they were 12 years younger and...it was a very different time. There were at least two alcoholics in the band and things were said that the three guys I'm still working with certainly would not say today. I can only tell you that Sam was very much behaving like the second wife in a marriage that wanted the first wife to not exist --- no pictures, no reference, don't mention the word. And when Ed was alive and he managed them, they pretty much successfully eliminated David.

Q: Did you want to do a "Sam and Dave" tour?

A: I certainly didn't suggest a reunion tour and I didn't suggest they get back together. But I wasn't going to treat a guy who'd been part of their initial success and sold 35 million records with them as a bad word. To me that was childish. But they will not tour until they've made new music with whoever the singer is. If the chemistry with David is right and David wants to go forward, and they want to go forward, then we'll see. It would be very easy to go out and just do it, but that's not where we're coming from.

Q: Everyone agreed to a "cool down" period after the split but Hagar took it to the press, saying he was devastated and disappointed.

A. I understand him being upset and angry. This is a guy who somehow managed to blow being a member of the biggest American rock band, period and heís smarting. But unfortunately, heís created this situation for himself. Heís been his own worst enemy and he continues to be.

Q: Hagar said the tensions were fueled when you started managing.

A. Iíd like to go on record as saying when Ed (Leffler) died, it was Sammy Hagar that changed the rules. It was Sammy Hagar that immediately went to Geffen Records and did new songs for a greatest hits record of his. It was Sammy Hagar that re-did an old deal at Warner Music and started to write and provide songs for Meat Loaf and various other acts. And it was Sam who seemed more focused on his outside projects then he was on Van Halen. And you know what? Ed Leffler probably wouldnít have allowed that, either. Maybe thatís the difference between Ed Leffler and Ray Danniels; Ed Leffler could have stopped Sammy Hagar from doing some of the things he did that caused friction. I didnít have the ability to do that. I didnít have the history with them. So from that standpoint, heís absolutely right. But he fails to recognize heís the cause of the friction. The truth of this, more than anything else, is Eddie Van Halen got sober and is capable of making judgement calls today and cares about things that he probably let go for many many years. The boy became a man. And he took his band back. Itís as simple as that.

Q: For the record, whoís idea was it to start working with Roth again?

A. David made a call to Ed. These were two guys who had spoken twice in 11 years. Once by sheer coincidence, they bumped into each other on the street in New York and exchanged pleasantries. One other time, David had been gracious to call Ed and Al when their father passed away seven years ago. So there had been no communication. Warner Bros. Had sent Dave a courtesy letter telling him about the "best of" package. He called with his encouragement and talked to Ed and they hashed an awful lot of things out on the phone. And the timing was right. But this was after this situation with Sam had deteriorated to the point that it is right now. Unfortunately, Sam seems to think that somebody had this great idea that we would divorce wife number two and go back with wife number one, and that is as far-fetched as it can get.

Q: So one was not the cause of the other.

A. Oh God no. Absolutely not. If things with Sam were good, why would you want to disrupt a band that had survived the onslaught of new bands and new music and was one of a handful of elder bands that still had the juice? Why would you mess with that?
    "So what's your story? Any tread left on the tires? Or is it like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?" Stewie Griffin

Detroit Red Wings

GP 34 Record: 22-9-3

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/Mean Streets/Humans Being
    Last Online

06.04.06 @ 08:07 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A: At the point these guys separated 11 or 12 years ago, they were 12 years younger and...it was a very different time. There were at least two alcoholics in the band and things were said that the three guys I'm still working with certainly would not say today. I can only tell you that Sam was very much behaving like the second wife in a marriage that wanted the first wife to not exist --- no pictures, no reference, don't mention the word. And when Ed was alive and he managed them, they pretty much successfully eliminated David.

Sort of makes me wonder... People have complained about the lack
    of info about Dave on BOBW and the fact that the 3 live songs are by
    Sam and not Dave... Wonder how much of that was Sam's doing?

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

$am isn't in my good books, but we have to remember who is saying this shit. I just want to know who's brainstorm is was to put How Many Say I on record, and more importantly who's idea it was to have Ed do it live? I had to witness that in Detroit. It is a interesting read though.
    Last edited by LittleGuitars99; 08.28.05 at 06:04 PM.
    "So what's your story? Any tread left on the tires? Or is it like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?" Stewie Griffin

Detroit Red Wings

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/Mean Streets/Humans Being
    Last Online

06.04.06 @ 08:07 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like VHIII.. But How Many Say I might be the worst song
    ever. Was it as bad live as it is on the album?

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

They brought out the big white grand piano for the encore, Ed played it and sung, Gary stood off to the side, they put the light on him during his harmony parts, other then that it was dark where he stood, it sounded good for what it was but not what you would expect at a Van Halen show.

Detroit Red Wings

Eruption
    Last Online

12.22.16 @ 05:50 AM
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGuitars99
    Saw this at the Army, not sure if it's legit, or if the guy that posted it is, maybe Max or Nick can chime in:
    It's legit, just really old. July of 1996:
    http://www.vhnd.com/archive/0796raydanniels.shtml

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

It pisses me off that Hagar would oppose a Greatest Hits album with Roth on it. That's freaking childish. How could people "make a choice" about the lead singer if both are on ONE cd? Sure, some like Dave more than Sammy and some like Sammy more than Dave. Some like them equally. But to think a Greatest Hits album would cause Van Halen's downfall makes me upset.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Where's FORD when you need 'im???
    Last edited by smithjc; 08.28.05 at 09:40 PM.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by smithjc

Ditto.

FUCK RAY DANNIELS

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Ray Danniels is indeed Satan and any words that come from his lips are the spawn of Beelzibub himself..........
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

VH1, FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of The World, Show No Merc
    Last Online

10.20.06 @ 08:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To defend Sam a little, his own "best ofs" were released becuase the record company owned his songs and had the right to release them without his consent or participation. Capitol released a "best of" in 1992 that Sammy ignored and refused to promote since he was with VH.
    "Unboxed" came out in 1994 during a down time for VH and was part of the contract between Geffen & Warner that allowed Sam to join VH in 85. Again, this best of would have come out with or without Sam's involvement or approval. Sam added 2 VH rejected songs and got paid to buy out his ex-wife. Depending on what you want to believe, Sam had VH's blessing to do this.
    Sammy Hagar, the solo act, was a "dead act" and thats why he had a few best ofs as other labels tried to cash in on Sammy being the singer for VH. Sam had little to nothing to do with them, except for "Unboxed"

Sam is not blameless as him wanting no comparisons to Dave was silly.
    Van Halen Live: 15 shows.
    Have I seen my last one?

Favorite VH Album

BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

Crossing over
    Last Online

04.03.12 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGuitars99
    They brought out the big white grand piano for the encore, Ed played it and sung, Gary stood off to the side, they put the light on him during his harmony parts, other then that it was dark where he stood, it sounded good for what it was but not what you would expect at a Van Halen show.
    Every concert needs a piss & get another beer break...
    Sam, Dave,Gary... who cares. its all about what makes you feel good.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rockygotfingered
    It pisses me off that Hagar would oppose a Greatest Hits album with Roth on it. That's freaking childish. How could people "make a choice" about the lead singer if both are on ONE cd? Sure, some like Dave more than Sammy and some like Sammy more than Dave. Some like them equally. But to think a Greatest Hits album would cause Van Halen's downfall makes me upset.
    As much shit as Daniels receives from the fans (including myself), I tend to believe this interview. And let's be honest, at this time in VH's history, it was pretty obvious Sammy was always apprehensive about comparisons to Dave. I think Sammy was actually dismayed that Ed had the balls to actually confront him and tell him to put some effort into VH or hit the road back to solo land. Daniels is eluding to this when he mentions "Ed getting sober and taking his band back." I think the levy broke when Sammy refused to put any effort into the Twister thing. It's interesting how the work ethic issue has been suppported by several other people. Daniels is also hinting at the problem in this interview as well. The more time has past, the more I believe what Daniels said in this interview: "Sammy is his own worst enemy."
    Last edited by chain; 08.29.05 at 09:15 AM.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:45 PM
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by smithjc
    Where's FORD when you need 'im???
    Bite your tongue.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by scotty5150
    Bite your tongue.

C'mon, you know you all miss him!!!

Always up for interestin debatin, partic on his fave subject!!
    Last edited by smithjc; 08.29.05 at 10:15 AM.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One