Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:59 PM
    Liked 1,025 Times in 500 Posts

Default Setting up a home studio

I am getting ready to set up a home studio (I am a guitarist/singer) to record covers, my own songs, etc... I have looked into a couple of software packages to use on my computer: Cakewalk, Cakewalk for Guitarists, Cubase... Do any of you have experience with these products? How easy are they to use? Any other products I should look at? Would I be better off with a good soundcard or a USB input device? I have been playing guitar for 23 years, but have not ever recorded myself. I have a Crate PA and an Ampeg VL 502 Lee Jackson 50 watt tube amp. I want to record my own bass lines and use drum samples instead of a real drummer (unless I meet a cool, laid back drummer; never met one of those, all the drummers I've ever met are mostly crazy as hell )

Thanks for any info...

Banned!
    Last Online

12.04.11 @ 05:07 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I own or tried everyone of them what you need to know? the best thing I can say to get will be get alittler recording rack for your record track which can be setup with the program you might want. Cakewalk is great program to used but for working stuff like guitar and drums etc. I use Cubase or Protools for editing but Cakewalk might be easy for you to use..also look at the Lexicon Omega Studio its a little cheaper than a Mbox unit which only runs for protools..Omega Studio is a USB unit like a mixer it has some of the features as a Mbox but alittle cheaper price here the site to get more info on this unit I hope this help you out alittle.. need more info or other ideas let me know I'll be happy to help you out on some other stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokgtar
    I am getting ready to set up a home studio (I am a guitarist/singer) to record covers, my own songs, etc... I have looked into a couple of software packages to use on my computer: Cakewalk, Cakewalk for Guitarists, Cubase... Do any of you have experience with these products? How easy are they to use? Any other products I should look at? Would I be better off with a good soundcard or a USB input device? I have been playing guitar for 23 years, but have not ever recorded myself. I have a Crate PA and an Ampeg VL 502 Lee Jackson 50 watt tube amp. I want to record my own bass lines and use drum samples instead of a real drummer (unless I meet a cool, laid back drummer; never met one of those, all the drummers I've ever met are mostly crazy as hell )

Thanks for any info...
    Last edited by Ben5150; 08.26.05 at 07:41 PM.

Last Online

01.26.10 @ 12:30 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rokgtar

Thanks for any info...

DO NOT GET EMU STUFF! ITS VERY DIFFICULT TO USE IF YOU ARE A BEGINNER WITH STUDIO SOFTWARE. IM SELLLING MINE FOR HALF PRICE IF YOU WANT IT THOUGH. NEARLY BRAND NEW!

The Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

unchained
    Last Online

12.22.07 @ 10:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

10-4

I too have the cakewalk program,If you have lots of time to screw with it ,and want to mess with the program rather than play the guitar ,than get it .Im selling my copy too.I tried recording on my computer as well.It will work but you need a good sound card with a mic jack.I dont think you will like the sound quality you get on the computer.Its no cd quality recording.
    Check out my studio.Its sound proof and has everything you listed in it.
    (no www) tromollo.tripod.com
    good luck :joe

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:59 PM
    Liked 1,025 Times in 500 Posts

Thanks all for the replies. As a novice, I am at a loss as to what to buy. I'd hate to buy something and get frustrated trying to learn how to use it. I'm not a computer novice (I'm a network engineer) so setting it up won't be too hard - learning how to use it might be though LOL... As for drums, I may just buy an Alesis drum machine and not worry about the drum samples.

Hey Joey - is the sound quality really that bad recording to the PC? What could I use to get good sound quality?

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

try using two different scenarios.
    1. cheap and easy and decent sound, with lots of easy options..GoldWave

2. tascam sells a decent 8 track digital recorder for @ $300. it's all you need to start out.Has ports to send info to PC so you can burn it on CD. also they sell one where you can burn the cd inside it
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Favorite VH Album

There all good!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

05.23.12 @ 02:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have Magix 2004 software and it seems to be very similar to cubase from what I've seen. It's not the most easy program to use, but once you read the book a little, and start messing around with the demos, you'll get the hang of it pretty fast. It was only 75.00 bucks for the program. A couple of things that havent been brought up here though, that I have had to learn the hard way, is you need to have an interface between your computer and your mic, amp, bass guitar, ect. I had bought an M Audio USB interface and I realized that the tracks weren't syn'ing due to the usb ports are not fast enough to process the info. So, YOu need to get the M_audio Firewire interface. This will run much faster and your tracks will sync right. Good luck!
    "I endorsed the guitar I used to play, I designed this one.....Big Difference!" EVH

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

anyone reccomend software similar to Goldwave? I mean im learning on it and its quite amazing to me, but it has its limitations..anything similar but better?

thx
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)