Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Opinions: Am I too old to learn

how to play bass at 36?
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:34 PM
    Liked 593 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

Never too old to rock, bro.

Hang 'Em High Blind Lemon Loons's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth!!
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty Whooooo! Look Out!
    Last Online

12.03.17 @ 07:20 AM
    Liked 154 Times in 114 Posts

Donor

Age is a state of mind rather than a time of being.--Robert F. Kennedy

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

36? Still in your PRIME...go for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Thanks for the feedback guys... I just think most people learned how to play at a young age... Sorta wondering if anyone else around here learned how to play later in life...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Voivod, you should play man, age has nothing to do with it.

Especially bass, as soon as you get used to the extra tension (compared to guitar) it's all down hill from there. If you really get into it, learning the notes on the fret board, roots of chords, different techniques, etc. is easy (and more fun then guitar). I have been playing for a while now, but I still enjoy just turning on the radio and playing along to whatever song comes on, it's not really that hard, and would almost be impossible on the guitar (assuming it's a song you may have never heard or don't know how to play), you learn lot's of different ways to play, and the bass fit's in nicely in the mix, unlike a guitar.

A bass like this would work out great, not to expensive but still nice and good to learn on (plus you wont outgrow it). Also the resale value is pretty good on these.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/511024/

And I have this amp just for practice, but it sound's nice as shit. It's to small to get a decent sound with a drummer, but it's perfect for everything else. And again the resale value is pretty good on these, as it is for all Ampeg products. If you want something big you need to get about 500 watts minimum.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/481776/

So that's about $900.00 for everything, that probably sounds like a lot, but it's a nice rig that you will never out grow (you may get something bigger if you really get into it later though), and you won't get killed if you decide to sell the stuff later on. If you go the ebay route it's gonna be cheaper:

Ebay Jazz (not that much less then a new one really, but that's how much they go for):

http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-JAZZ-BASS...QQcmdZViewItem

Here's the Ampeg amp (it's got 2 days left, it will sell for nearly $300.00 probably):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ampeg-BA-112-Bas...QQcmdZViewItem

Also, considering your wanting to do this at 36 it's probably the best instrument to do it with. Within the first 6 month's to a year you will know 90% of whatever technique's you will know in your lifetime, the only thing that may change is how tastefully you play, that's been my experience at least. Plus if you ever want to play out bands are always looking for bass players, guitar players are a dime a dozen (even good ones), bass is hard to come by. I played guitar from 15-22 (I still play guitar every day), then the bass bug bit me so that has been my main instrument since (im 32 now). I also started playing the drums (by default) about 3 years ago, I can get by but don't ask me to play anything specific, im more Phil Rudd then Neil Pert (I love them both).
    Last edited by willy4pres; 08.26.05 at 03:11 PM.

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I kind of did. I took percussion lessons and was in the Jr. High symphonic band for a couple of years, but my parent wouldn't buy me a drum set so I quit. 20 years later I bought myself a drum set retaught myself as much as I could remember (which wasn't a whole lot). I'm not Alex Van Halen, but I'm not Meg White either. So yeah, it can be done. All you need is desire, patience, determination and a little bit of natural ability. Go for it.
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Preachin' Blues

The great Son House, who taught Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson, didn't pick up guitar until he was 28 or 30...an' he was a POWERHOUSE on the steel guitar...a runaway locomotive on de strings nah...grabbed dat geetar like a hound dog shakin' a stick nah yez...
    ASHES TO ASHES...DUST TO DUST...IF THE WOMEN DON'T GET YA, THE WHISKEY MUST!!...

"I used to play the blues alone in all the local joints," he explained. 'The only thing that I can really play on guitar to this day is the blues. I heard Doc Watson and his son playing 15 years ago, and from there I got into Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker."--DLR

If you pay attention -- what I sing, the guitar sings, too, and what the guitar says, I say.--Mississippi Fred McDowell

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Blind, do you actually listen to delta blues musicians or is this part of some strange act?

Im not giving you shit, I just recently got turned on to Robert Johnson (I have been familiar with a few other's as well) and was wondering, by the way, Robert was a freak'n monster on guitar.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by willy4pres
    Blind, do you actually listen to delta blues musicians or is this part of some strange act?

Im not giving you shit, I just recently got turned on to Robert Johnson (I have been familiar with a few other's as well) and was wondering, by the way, Robert was a freak'n monster on guitar.
    I listen to the blues e'ery day...lately I been on a Lead Belly, Johnny Shines, and Blind Willie McTell blues streak nah...I wake up with the blues...I've got the blues...blues y'all can use nah...the blues is my fuel...
    ASHES TO ASHES...DUST TO DUST...IF THE WOMEN DON'T GET YA, THE WHISKEY MUST!!...

"I used to play the blues alone in all the local joints," he explained. 'The only thing that I can really play on guitar to this day is the blues. I heard Doc Watson and his son playing 15 years ago, and from there I got into Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker."--DLR

If you pay attention -- what I sing, the guitar sings, too, and what the guitar says, I say.--Mississippi Fred McDowell

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Willy - Thanks for the post!

Voivod, you should play man, age has nothing to do with it.

Especially bass, as soon as you get used to the extra tension (compared to guitar) it's all down hill from there. If you really get into it, learning the notes on the fret board, roots of chords, different techniques, etc. is easy (and more fun then guitar). I have been playing for a while now, but I still enjoy just turning on the radio and playing along to whatever song comes on, it's not really that hard, and would almost be impossible on the guitar (assuming it's a song you may have never heard or don't know how to play), you learn lot's of different ways to play, and the bass fit's in nicely in the mix, unlike a guitar.

A bass like this would work out great, not to expensive but still nice and good to learn on (plus you wont outgrow it). Also the resale value is pretty good on these.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/511024/

And I have this amp just for practice, but it sound's nice as shit. It's to small to get a decent sound with a drummer, but it's perfect for everything else. And again the resale value is pretty good on these, as it is for all Ampeg products. If you want something big you need to get about 500 watts minimum.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/481776/

So that's about $900.00 for everything, that probably sounds like a lot, but it's a nice rig that you will never out grow (you may get something bigger if you really get into it later though), and you won't get killed if you decide to sell the stuff later on. If you go the ebay route it's gonna be cheaper:

Ebay Jazz (not that much less then a new one really, but that's how much they go for):

http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-JAZZ-BASS...QQcmdZViewItem

Here's the Ampeg amp (it's got 2 days left, it will sell for nearly $300.00 probably):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ampeg-BA-112-Bas...QQcmdZViewItem

Also, considering your wanting to do this at 36 it's probably the best instrument to do it with. Within the first 6 month's to a year you will know 90% of whatever technique's you will know in your lifetime, the only thing that may change is how tastefully you play, that's been my experience at least. Plus if you ever want to play out bands are always looking for bass players, guitar players are a dime a dozen (even good ones), bass is hard to come by. I played guitar from 15-22 (I still play guitar every day), then the bass bug bit me so that has been my main instrument since (im 32 now). I also started playing the drums (by default) about 3 years ago, I can get by but don't ask me to play anything specific, im more Phil Rudd then Neil Pert (I love them both).

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

No problem Voivod, hope it helped a little.

Lemon, I really need to listen more to Delta musicians, such a rich and intersting history. I have heard that it's becoming a popular vacation trip to go down to Mississippi and check out all these famous places these cat's used to play at, I would love to check it out. Funny thing is that I went to MOS school there back in 1992, when I was watching that new Blues documentary on PBS they kept referencing places I was familiar with, but I didn't know how significent they were at the time, I completely missed out!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Well I wish I was a catfish

No problem Voivod, hope it helped a little.

Lemon, I really need to listen more to Delta musicians, such a rich and intersting history. I have heard that it's becoming a popular vacation trip to go down to Mississippi and check out all these famous places these cat's used to play at, I would love to check it out. Funny thing is that I went to MOS school there back in 1992, when I was watching that new Blues documentary on PBS they kept referencing places I was familiar with, but I didn't know how significent they were at the time, I completely missed out!
    My ol' evil spirit rode the dog...a greyhound bus down ta Clarksdale, MS a few seasons ago...I was chauffered by a cat named Rat to the Riverside Hotel...a landmark because it is the former hospital where Bessie Smith, The Empress Of The Blues, died. Cool, cool thing to hear the noble ol' folk wakin' up to scratchy Son House records! I went to the Delta blues musuem, saw two members of The Jelly Roll Kings at a juke joint jammin' with some cat named Bobo Davis...went ta see Koko Taylor, Bobby Rush,and Blind Mississippi Morris kick out the blues jams at the Sunflower Blues and Gospel festival...checked out an acoustic gig at the ol' train station where everyone played blues an' country n western...almost got knifed at a juke joint...lost my voice from hollerin' over the music at one of 'em red houses...bought a mojo hand and won 800 dollas in a stud poker game(had to tell the Ballad Of Joe), lost the mojo hand and my money shootin' dice...All Hell Yeah I was a walkin' into Clarksdale...

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

shit, im 40 and still tryin to learn guitar/drums/bass/piano..and i'll never stop ..i veprobably been trying tpo play guitar for 20 yrs, but have put in the same amount of time as if i played everyday for a year or two..so im on the slow learn plan..and i agree,, its all a state of mind..i plan on recording my own stuff and at 45, being the next bigt thing!!!

..at least in my mind

but the joy i personally get out of playing is worth all of it and will be for you aswell !
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)