Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Default SAMMY HAGAR: 'A Shot At The Cabo Wabo And Birthday Bash' Dates Announced

SAMMY HAGAR: 'A Shot At The Cabo Wabo And Birthday Bash' Dates Announced - Aug. 25, 2005

The Cabo Club has announced that Sammy Hagar will play his world-famous Cabo Wabo Cantina for the annual "A Shot at the Cabo Wabo and Birthday Bash".

"A Shot at the Cabo Wabo" will take place on October 1, to be followed by the "Birthday Bash" on October 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13.

Sammy Hagar stated, "I need a night to recover in between shows." When asked about guest stars for this year's festivities, Sammy continued, "Mikey [Anthony], of VAN HALEN fame, will be joining us for a few nights." He also said, "Kenny Chesney is threatening to come down to Cabo again this year!"

At last year's Baja Blowout, Kenny Chesney's band tore up numerous David Lee Roth-era VAN HALEN tunes. Billy Duffy of THE CULT ripped open classic CULT riffs and almost stole the show. The guest stars often take over the stage during the yearly Cabo Wabo Rock celebrations at the seaside mega-resort town of Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.

SAMMY HAGAR AND THE WABORITAS have been touring this summer in their "The Tequila Made Me Do It". New sets, new music and Sammy's announcement of future free shows has generated lots of interest from the normally outrageous "RedHeads", Sammy's core group of fans. All of the shows this year in Cabo are free.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:57 AM
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

New setlists? Free shows? Seven dates instead of the usual extended weekend? And Mikey and undoubtedly Los Tres Gusanos?

$am's such a hack.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 1,463 Times in 898 Posts

I hope Sammy does this in 2007 when I head down to Cabo with the wife for out 10 year anniversary.

How about "special guest" Eddie Van Halen showing up this year?
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    New setlists? Free shows? Seven dates instead of the usual extended weekend? And Mikey and undoubtedly Los Tres Gusanos?

$am's such a hack.

There's a cash grab in there somewhere, goddammit.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

12.23.05 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Too bad $ammy did take that new setlist attitude with him to Van Halen.
    "So what's your story? Any tread left on the tires? Or is it like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?" Stewie Griffin

Detroit Red Wings

GP 34 Record: 22-9-3

Top Of The World
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGuitars99

I don't think $am remembers the lyrics for Judgement Day or Get up or Mine All Mine or AFU.....*sighs*...... fuck it.

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGuitars99
    I think it's relatively obvious that the undeviating setlist wasn't Sam's choice. I wonder, why can he improv and switch it up with the Wabos, but not Van Halen? Gee, I just wonder. It couldn't be Edward's issues, could it? Nah...who are we kidding. Ed's a rock.
    Last edited by Van Squalen; 08.26.05 at 10:05 AM.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

I think it's relatively obvious that the undeviating setlist wasn't Sam's choice. I wonder, why can he improv and switch it up with the Wabos, but not Van Halen? Gee, I just wonder. It couldn't be Edward's issues, could it? Nah...who are we kidding. Ed's a rock.
    It`s odvious it was, during the press for the Best Of Vol 1, they stated many times about $am`s insecurities about having equal amount of Sam and Dave tunes on the record, about how they basically performed the same Dave era songs for almost 10 years, nice try though, maybe if the offered $am more $$$ he would have done it.
    "So what's your story? Any tread left on the tires? Or is it like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?" Stewie Griffin

Detroit Red Wings

Last Online

Donor

Best of Vol. 1? That was ten years ago. And let's face it, nobody in this band can be trusted for accuracy. Ed's word isn't gospel.

We're not talking about whether Sam upped the Dave song quotient, we're talking about why the setlist wasn't mixed up on the '04 tour. There are plenty of Sam era songs to choose from. Unlikely that Sam didn't wanna sing 'em. More likely Ed didn't wanna drag out the 12 string for Cabo Wabo, or the mini for Summer Nights. Etc.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

Donor

More likely Ed didn't wanna drag out the 12 string for Cabo Wabo, or the mini for Summer Nights. Etc.
    Or re-learn those songs, he was having a hard enough time with the same set they did every night. Some nights "on" some nights yikes.....

It's pretty damn obvious Sam likes to mix up the setlists, his solo shows prove that. With VH, the only thing he seems to be against is doin the Dave stuff and I don't blame him either, I wouldn't want that pressure. Half the people bitch that he doesn't sing ENOUGH or different CVH and the other half bitches BECAUSE he sings CVH.

It's always has been a no-win for Sam on that one.
    Last edited by Greenpaw; 08.26.05 at 11:50 AM.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw
    Or re-learn those songs, he was having a hard enough time with the same set they did every night. Some nights "on" some nights yikes.....

It's pretty damn obvious Sam likes to mix up the setlists, his solo shows prove that. With VH, the only thing he seems to be against is doin the Dave stuff and I don't blame him either, I wouldn't want that pressure. Half the people bitch that he doesn't sing ENOUGH or different CVH and the other half bitches BECAUSE he sings CVH.

It's always has been a no-win for Sam on that one.
    What I wondered about was why Ed always tore through CVH songs during sound check that he had to know weren't gonna get played. We know that Ed probably would've loved to play something like I'm the One or some other older songs but Sammy was against it, so why bother?Why not practice some other tunes that maybe Sam would've done like 5150 or Mine all Mine, or what not. They could've been trying new songs out at each sound check and then later mixing some in the actual shows, rather than practice songs Sam would never agree to.

For the record I think Sammy's biggest mistake was not embracing and performing the CVH catalog from the start. He could have turned it into a non issue for fans--and for his bandmates. Do you realize that VH has performed songs like Panama and Jump far more often with Sam than Dave? If some fans don't like it, too god damn bad. The important thing is hearing Ed play those tunes.They should have done five CVH per show but mixed them up from tour to tour IMO. Now it's such an issue, I'm sure he wouldn't want to give Ed the satisfaction.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Best of Vol. 1? That was ten years ago. And let's face it, nobody in this band can be trusted for accuracy. Ed's word isn't gospel.

We're not talking about whether Sam upped the Dave song quotient, we're talking about why the setlist wasn't mixed up on the '04 tour. There are plenty of Sam era songs to choose from. Unlikely that Sam didn't wanna sing 'em. More likely Ed didn't wanna drag out the 12 string for Cabo Wabo, or the mini for Summer Nights. Etc.
    I don`t think Ed wanted to add to $am`s "Promote Cabo Wabo " tour 2004, Ed has issues going on, but to say $am is a factor or the final line when it comes to the setlist is crazy, Mike has even said $am picks the tunes, he has always been insecure about the Dave era tunes or they would be changed up or maybe the odd extra one, they had to fight to get Jump in the 5150 set. $am does like to mix up the setlists in his own shows, because it`s about the thing he loves best "$am". Van Halen is a different story, weather he did a 5-star for you or not, for a guy that was against all this he could have shown up for all or 90% of them, think of all the Cabo Wabo shit he could have peddled, move over G$n$ $immions, $am is catching up, mind you $am has him beat in the crying to the press department.

Detroit Red Wings

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow
    What I wondered about was why Ed always tore through CVH songs during sound check that he had to know weren't gonna get played. We know that Ed probably would've loved to play something like I'm the One or some other older songs but Sammy was against it, so why bother?Why not practice some other tunes that maybe Sam would've done like 5150 or Mine all Mine, or what not. They could've been trying new songs out at each sound check and then later mixing some in the actual shows, rather than practice songs Sam would never agree to.

For the record I think Sammy's biggest mistake was not embracing and performing the CVH catalog from the start. He could have turned it into a non issue for fans--and for his bandmates. Do you realize that VH has performed songs like Panama and Jump far more often with Sam than Dave? If some fans don't like it, too god damn bad. The important thing is hearing Ed play those tunes.They should have done five CVH per show but mixed them up from tour to tour IMO. Now it's such an issue, I'm sure he wouldn't want to give Ed the satisfaction.
    My guess is ego on both sides.

Ed wants to play CVH and Sam wants to do his own stuff......neither want to comprimise.

Mature, grown adults here.

Last Online

Donor

Where is the source of Mikey claiming Sam chose the setlist?

Moreover, again, this isn't about Dave tunes in the setlist, this is about mixing up Sam era tunes night to night. It's cool, you can believe Sam's a sellout and all his motives were questionable , but it's stretching to think he was the high maintenance one last year, and not another member of the band. All you had to do last year was open your eyes and ears to figure out who was requiring baby steps.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Where is the source of Mikey claiming Sam chose the setlist?

Moreover, again, this isn't about Dave tunes in the setlist, this is about mixing up Sam era tunes night to night. It's cool, you can believe Sam's a sellout and all his motives were questionable , but it's stretching to think he was the high maintenance one last year, and not another member of the band. All you had to do last year was open your eyes and ears to figure out who was requiring baby steps.
    Not saying Ed was a bunlde of joy, $am has wore out his welcome with me personally that is all, it`s almost like when a couple breaks up, usually the one who runs and tells anyone who will listen their side, usually is the insecure one, or is really worried about pulic opinion or even more guilty of something, while the other one goes about their life. This is a pattern to which $am is guilty of and that is fact. Ed was out of control and I personally don`t think we will see another tour, but becuase he is the drunk of the 4 he is to blame for the setlist? It`s his band, and he plays on all of it so what diff does it make to him?

Detroit Red Wings