"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Default The name of this thread is Talking Heads

from www.billboard.com:

Talking Heads Refurbish Catalog For DualDisc

By Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

The Talking Heads have expanded their eight studio albums with previously unreleased content for their release as DualDiscs. Due Oct. 4 via Rhino, the sets will be packaged together in a white molded plastic box that holds eight jewel cases. Each album has also been remastered by Talking Heads keyboardist Jerry Harrison.

The group's 1977 debut, the appropriately named "Talking Heads: 77," will include a 5.1 mix of a previously unreleased acoustic version of "Psycho Killer" and an alternate 5.1 mix of "Uh-Oh, Love Comes to Town." The DVD side sports a live clip of "Pulled Up" taped in 1978 in Berkeley, Calif., and "I Feel It in My Heart" shot in 1976 at New York's now-defunct the Kitchen.

The follow-up, "More Songs About Buildings and Food," is bolstered by alternate versions of "The Big Country," "I'm Not in Love" and "Thank You for Sending Me an Angel," as well as a "1977 version" of "Stay Hungry." The DVD pulls "Warning Sign" from the aforementioned Berkeley show plus "Found a Job" from a 1978 gig at New York's Entermedia Theatre.

Best known for "Cities" and "Life During Wartime," 1979's "Fear of Music" is expanded here with alternate versions of those tracks as well as "Mind," and an unfinished outtake of "Dancing for Money." The DVD side includes performances of "Cities" and "I Zimba" from the German TV show "Rockpop" in 1980.

"Remain in Light" is beefed up with four unfinished outtakes: "Fela's Riff," "Unison," "Double Groove" and "Right Start." "Rockpop" performances of "Once in a Lifetime" and "Crosseyed and Painless" are utilized for the DVD side. The 1983 album "Speaking in Tongues" features an alternate 5.1 mix of "Burning Down the House" as well as videos for that tune and "This Must Be the Place (Naïve Melody)."

"Little Creatures" is filled out with previously unreleased early versions of its most notable tracks, "Road to Nowhere" and "And She Was," plus videos for both songs. The 1986 companion to "True Stories," directed by Heads vocalist David Byrne, includes a bonus Pop Staples Vocal Version 5.1 mix of "Papa Legba" and videos for "Wild Wild Life" and "Love for Sale."

The Heads' final studio album, "Naked," tacks on a 5.1 mix of "Sax and Violins" as well as its video and a clip for "Blind."

As previously reported, the Talking Heads and the spin-off group the Tom Tom Club are represented on the Sire Records box set "Just Say Sire," due Sept. 13 via Rhino.

I have all the albums (except The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads - and I don't have the expanded Stop Making Sense), but I'd like to hear that 5.1 mix of "Sax And Violins" on the right equipment. Wish they'd also find a place for John Goodman's "People Like Us" (from the "Wild Wild Life" single and "True Stories" movie) - I actually like his version better than David's!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

LOVE the talking heads. talk about an underrated band...definitely not enough recognition these days.
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member

looks awesome. I'll pop that on 'the list'
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Default Byrne Turns Factory Into Instrument

from www.billboard.com:

When musician David Byrne says he is going to "play a factory" in Stockholm, he is not planning a gig at a trendy new venue, but talking literally.

The Talking Heads founder has turned a disused paint factory by the Stockholm waterside into a giant musical instrument, constructed around an old wooden pump organ with its entrails ripped out and replaced with wires and pipes.

"The public can just come in and sit down and play what they like," he said this weekend while the installation at "Fargfabriken" ("The Paint Factory") was being set up.

"Playing the Building" is not a Byrne concert but a hands-on art installation that runs until mid-November. The organ's keys and stops are linked to dozens of clear plastic tubes that pump air through the factory vents to make a range of whistle noises, bang hammers that clank against hollow iron pillars and start four engines ranged on the roof.

The resulting cacophony is deafening and the factory, which dates from 1889 and once produced guns, combine harvesters and more recently paint, briefly sounds like it has been granted a new lease of industrial life.

"It's a very democratic instrument -- everyone is reduced to the same amateur level," said Byrne.

He said he wanted this to be a more "hands-on" experience than most installation art. "A lot of the time people think the art world is pulling their leg, that there's an elite crowd that understands what is going on but that the general public is not in on the joke," he said. "In this case I think they don't feel intimidated."

Any of our Swedish or other European linkers check this out?

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

playing the building...

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 6,825 Times in 3,568 Posts

Premium Member

Thanks Voivod.

Beauty in all it's strange glory.

Last Online

10.09.15 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Awesome band. I think byrne has just become a stereotypical self absorbed mind wanker since the True Stories album, but he used to be truely creative.
    Last edited by VF5150; 06.14.08 at 06:34 AM.

"out of the seven threads he's started here, four have been closed for being cluelessly ponderous as well as outright insipid"
    -chefcraig on me

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Premium Member

Default Does anybody have any questions?

Awesome.

BTW Some of Byrnes solo works been pretty good, and his live show is well worth seeing.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Dang, that's one concert film I haven't gotten around to seeing yet - seems as if one had to be in great shape to play with Talking Heads. If you weren't when the tour started, you had to be in great shape by the end of the tour, anyway!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have no problem with Talking Heads' music. In fact, I've grown to appreciate it that much more since having to sit through their sets at CBGBs while waiting for the Heartbreakers. But David Byrne still looks like he has to pee when he performs.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.04.17 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

I heard Life During Wartime on the radio, I haven't heard it in years. What a great song.

I love the video, the way he dances is hilarious. So unique.

Better use it up before it gets old!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 531 Times in 278 Posts

"Stop Making Sense" is due to appear on blu-ray on Oct 13th. Even though the dvd release from a few years ago looks and sounds steller, they went back and did an even more impressive remastered HD version for blu-ray that according to early reviews, blows the dvd out of the water.

T.B.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I love the Talking Heads! They are an absolutely awesome group and I have mad respect for Byrne and his many creative directions.

He wrote the liner notes to Cuba Classics Vol 1, which was a greatest hits of sorts for Silvio Rodriguez. This and his fascination with Cuban music, and Silvio Rodriguez, gave birth to a rumour that there existed a recorded collaboration between the two and an album of Rodriguez songs that Byrne had translated lyrics and sung on.

Sadly, despite years of searching, my father and I have been unable to to find such a unicorn. We've decided that it really doesn't exist. We've run into too many people that would know of such a record who have said they don't think it exists.
    Last edited by broken9500; 09.25.09 at 09:35 AM.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Premium Member

I saw David Byrne earlier this year at the Opera House here. Man he puts on a fantastic show, I urge anyone to go see him if he's in your area.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

I saw a show years back where Byrne was back by a marching band of sorts and was doing a spoken word piece about shopping in a supermarket, and all the adventures he had there.

Maybe I've confused a few things, but does this ring any bells with anyone.

It sounded fantastic.

"Once in a lifetime" is still one of the great early 80's avante garde pop songs.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/