Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

03.22.09 @ 10:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Doc Gooden wanted by Police after fleeing after DWI stop

CBS Sports

Former baseball star Dwight Gooden allegedly fled police after being stopped for drunken driving -- and his nephew, New York Yankees outfielder Gary Sheffield, says there is nothing his family can do to help anymore.

"I've done pretty much everything you could possibly do," Sheffield said Tuesday at Yankee Stadium. "It just comes to a point where you have to let him go through what he's got to go through. Sometimes, it is God's plan for us to back off and let him do it, because the family has tried everything."

Gooden, who has a history of drug abuse, left the scene of a traffic stop early Monday after refusing to get out of his 2004 BMW to take a field sobriety test, police spokeswoman Laura McElroy said Tuesday.

The officer stopped Gooden's car because he was weaving in traffic near downtown Tampa, McElroy said. Gooden, a Tampa native and resident, is awaiting trial on a domestic violence charge.

"The officer pulls over the car and immediately notices that the driver is under the influence," she said. "He has bloodshot, glassy eyes, his speech was slurred and he has a strong odor of alcohol."

Gooden handed the officer his driver's license but refused two requests to get out of the car, McElroy said. He then drove off with the officer still holding his license.

Police chose not pursue for safety reasons, McElroy said, but went to his two known addresses to look for him. They also contacted the Yankees and his mother, she said.

Gooden was a special adviser for the Yankees, but the team says he quit in April -- about a month after he was arrested for allegedly hitting his live-in girlfriend.

Yankees spokesman Howard Grosswirth said Tuesday that team officials don't know his whereabouts.

"I feel very sorry for Dwight," Yankees owner George Steinbrenner said through spokesman Howard Rubenstein.

Gooden is wanted on felony charges of DUI and fleeing police, and a misdemeanor charge of resisting arrest without violence.

"At this point he is in a lot of trouble, and the only way he can help himself is to come forward and take responsibility for his actions," McElroy said Tuesday. She did not immediately return a call early Wednesday for an update on the search.

The 1984 National League rookie of the year and the 1985 NL Cy Young Award winner while with the New York Mets, Gooden went 194-112 with a 3.51 ERA before retiring in 2001. He also pitched for the Yankees, Cleveland Indians, Houston Astros and Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Gooden was arrested by Tampa police in 2002 on a drunken driving charge, but later pleaded guilty to reckless driving and received a year probation. He was arrested in March and charged with hitting his live-in girlfriend in the face during an argument. He was charged with misdemeanor domestic battery, and the case is pending.

Peter Hobson, the lawyer representing Gooden in the domestic violence case, said Wednesday he could not comment on the disappearance.

During his playing days, Gooden was suspended for 60 days in 1994 for testing positive for cocaine while with the Mets. He tested positive for cocaine again while on suspension and was sidelined for the 1995 season.

"I'm sure everybody in a family has a person in their family that has a problem - drug related or whatever," Sheffield said. "He happens to be the one. It's just one of those things where when he hurts, I hurt."
    “I made some mistakes tonight but we sing and play our f***ing instruments. Accept no substitute “ Tom Petty at the Darien Lake Performing Arts Center July 3, 2002

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too many!
    Last Online

03.12.07 @ 01:18 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

DOC GOODEN....LEGAL PROBLEMS? Pfffft you have GOT to be kidding right? What is the world coming to?
    "Maybe I was the only one, but I really felt like we could surprise these guys. Obviously, that was not the case."

Brett Favre 09/10/06

http://www.myspace.com/lionzrule

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

how far can he fall...im willing to bet he had cocaine in his fucking rosin bag.
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:46 AM
    Liked 73 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

That's a damn shame. I had actually thought he turned his life around and was working on positive things.
    Not sure how many chances someone is supposed to get, but I imagine he is about done.
    Between him and Strawberry they wasted more talent, potential and opportunity then anyone I can think of.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

He's also setting a wonderful example for Dwight Jr.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow
    He's also setting a wonderful example for Dwight Jr.
    I thought I read somewhere recently that he'd already been in trouble...

When did Gooden play for the Devil Rays?

I agree, Gooden and Strawberry have to represent the biggest amount of talent wasted by a pair of teammates ever. Too bad Al Davis doesn't own a baseball team...

Favorite VH Album

All (Yes, even "VH 3").
    Favorite VH Song

All (except "How Many Say I")
    Last Online

08.31.17 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts

Fuck Gooden, his gangsta kid and his thug nephew, Gary "I didn't know it was steroids" Sheffield.

Just because the guy once wore a Yankee uniform I suppose I'm suppose to feel sorry for him. He's had his share of chances and then some. I have no remorse for someone who can't look in the mirror after a gazillion chances to do the right thing and still fuck up their lives, their family and everything good that has ever come to them.
    Last edited by atomicpunk5150; 08.24.05 at 05:44 PM.
    "Question is,not does love exist,but when,she leaves,where she goes. I got a feeling she don't know either. Wait like the wind,watch where she blows..."

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by billy007
    I thought I read somewhere recently that he'd already been in trouble...

When did Gooden play for the Devil Rays?

I agree, Gooden and Strawberry have to represent the biggest amount of talent wasted by a pair of teammates ever. Too bad Al Davis doesn't own a baseball team...
    Yeah, he was busted earlier this month for violating probation and posessing marijuana. Like father, ......you know the rest. It's pretty sad.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Once a crack head, always a crack head.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Ex-MLB star Gooden surrenders to police

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Former baseball star Dwight Gooden, sought by police since he fled a DUI traffic stop three days ago, turned himself in at a county jail Thursday, police said.

Gooden, 40, showed up at the jail warrants facility about 5 p.m., police spokeswoman Laura McElroy said. He had been missing since early Monday, when an officer pulled over his 2004 BMW near downtown Tampa on suspicion of drunken driving.

He twice refused to get out of the car for a field sobriety test, then drove away suddenly, police said.

Gooden, who has a history of substance abuse and currently has a domestic violence charge pending in the court, was booked on a felony charge of fleeing police, and misdemeanor charges of DUI and resisting arrest without violence.

He was being held under a $3,000 bond, a jail spokeswoman said. McElroy said Gooden is scheduled to appear in court Friday morning for a hearing to revoke his bond on the March domestic violence charge.

"We're relieved that he has come forward, and this may be the first step toward him getting the help he needs," McElroy said.

Police looking for Gooden had talked to his attorney, Peter Hobson, on Wednesday about the possibility of Gooden surrendering, but he did not indicate if or when it was going to happen, McElroy said.

Hobson contacted the Hillsborough sheriff's office earlier Thursday and made arrangements for Gooden to surrender, sheriff's spokeswoman Debbie Carter said.

A call to Hobson's Tampa office was not immediately returned.

Tampa Bay Devil Rays manager Lou Piniella said Gooden's situation is sad.

"He needs to get his life in order," Piniella said before Thursday's game against Cleveland. "He's a good young man. He just needs to get his priorities straight. He's got a long life ahead of him and a lot of people that care about him. The only problem is he's got to help himself."

The 1984 Rookie of the Year and the 1985 NL Cy Young Award winner while with the New York Mets, Gooden went 194-112 with a 3.51 ERA before retiring in 2001. He also pitched for the Yankees, Cleveland Indians, Houston Astros and Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Gooden was arrested by Tampa police in 2002 on a drunken driving charge, but later pleaded guilty to reckless driving and received a year probation. He was arrested in March and charged with hitting his live-in girlfriend in the face during an argument.

During his playing days, Gooden was suspended for 60 days in 1994 for testing positive for cocaine while with the Mets. He tested positive for cocaine again while on suspension and was sidelined for the 1995 season.

He recently worked for the Yankees as a special adviser but quit in April.