Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

10.18.06 @ 04:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Goin' to Cabo for the first time

Let me start off by giving respect to the greatest band in the world, Van Halen (with Dave or Sammy). The music of this band is so amazingly talented. However, I am a huge fan of Sammy Hagar. When he joined Van Halen it really was the Best of Both Worlds for me.

That being said, I am getting married on October 1st. We are planning on going to Cabo to Sammy's Birthday Bash for our honeymoon (I also saw Sammy in Detroit for my bachelor party). Just wondering if some one who has been there can give me any pointers on what to do, as I have never been there before. How early should I show up to the cantina? Any info will be great.

Thanks,

Tomahawk

Favorite VH Album

BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

Crossing over
    Last Online

04.03.12 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

first off, after you clear customs, be ready to get hammered by the time share sales force, after you get your rental car, there is only one road into town,the cantina is on the right after the third light. during your stay, you'll get pestered to tour a timeshare, NEGOTIATE, you can get up to 150.00 usd ( which pays for some drinks later ) or a free marlin fishing trip. The Best place to hang out on the beach is " the office". if you plan on seeing Sammy, get in line no later than 4AM or youre running a risk of not getting tickets. Locals will try to sell you wrist bands, dont do it, security has really cracked down and most of them are fakes. plan on dropping some cash at his store, but only buy the Birthday bash shirts there, you can get everything else online ( saves from having to cary it around all day).....anyone else got any pointers????
    Sam, Dave,Gary... who cares. its all about what makes you feel good.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.22.16 @ 05:50 AM
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by servoguy101
    anyone else got any pointers????
    Yes, 4am is going to be too late. Plan to get in line between midnight and 1am.

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk
    Let me start off by giving respect to the greatest band in the world, Van Halen (with Dave or Sammy). The music of this band is so amazingly talented. However, I am a huge fan of Sammy Hagar. When he joined Van Halen it really was the Best of Both Worlds for me.

That being said, I am getting married on October 1st. We are planning on going to Cabo to Sammy's Birthday Bash for our honeymoon (I also saw Sammy in Detroit for my bachelor party). Just wondering if some one who has been there can give me any pointers on what to do, as I have never been there before. How early should I show up to the cantina? Any info will be great.

Thanks,

Tomahawk
    Man are you in luck . We just happen to have our very own VH Links "Queen of Cabo". Her and her hubby vacation there. This lovely lady goes by the name of "ktgiles". PM her if you have questions about Cabo. Or... I'll bet she "sniffs" this thread out and offers her great insight on this fabulous vacation spot!
    Last edited by axebrian; 08.22.05 at 08:27 AM.
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Can\'t decide - I love them all
    Favorite VH Song

All
    Last Online

11.10.14 @ 10:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ron
    Yes, 4am is going to be too late. Plan to get in line between midnight and 1am.
    1am? Last year we got in line between 11pm and midnight. We made it to one of the shows, but missed the actuall birthday show by about 30 people. If you want to go to the birthday show, you might want to get in line around 10:00pm the night before.
    Face Down in Cabo!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.22.16 @ 05:50 AM
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts

Premium Member

Yeah, I thought about the times after I posted. I dunno, it's a crap-shoot depending on which day you want to go. Rumors are that Sammy will be playing more shows this year, but nothing official has been posted yet. If he does play more shows, that should help the general crush of people trying to get tickets.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Congrats on the marriage. Don't drink too much tequila!!

Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Get in line NLT 11:00 pm. Purchase the B'day Bash at the Cantina's store, as this is really the only place to get them As for other merchandise, I'd do it there as well. One, it's cheaper. And tow, not all of the Cantina stuff is available online anymore. Sam used to be affiliated with "Fanfire.com", but not anymore. He does everything via his own website, but I've been reading complaints from people at the SHML that it's taking much longer than usual for their items to be delivered. Plus, what he *is* selling at his site is extremely minimal compared to what used to be at Fanfire.com. So, if you see something at the store you like, buy it, because the store is infamous for selling out of items (and sizes) very, very quickly.

As for arriving in Cabo, yes you will get hammered by the timeshare people. So, use your best judgement. For transportation into Cabo, do not use a cab with just you and your wife. Look for one (van, SUV, etc.) that'll be carrying several people. There's safety in numbers and if he charges 1 person one rate, he has to charge everyone the same, thereby ensuring the rate won't suddenly change between the airport and upon arrival at your hotel.

Above all else, and I speak from personal experience, DO NOT DRINK THE WATER IN CABO! Stick to bottled water. I've been told that the established retaurants use a filtration system, but that still didn't keep me and my wife from getting a serious bacterial infection several days before leaving Cabo.

When standing in line for tickets at night, you'll be sleeping on the sidewalk and in the Cantina's parking lot. Take a beach chair, blanket, pillow, whatever will make your campout a little more comfortable. Leave any and al valuables in your hotel room. A friend of ours had her purse stolen right out from underneath her while she slept one night. There is NO other way to buy your tickets. Don't buy anything from anyone claiming to have "advance tickets". There's no such thing. Each night Sam performs is intimated by a different color wristband. The locals are very adept at bootlegging these wristbands the day they go on sale. I met one person who said he paid $120 for 2 of them, and when I looked at the wristband it was an obvious fake. Needless to say, he didn't get in.

If you buy dinner tickets, you'll stand a better chance of getting to the Cantina long before anyone else. This is about the only "VIP" treatment you'll get. Once you do have your wristband/ticket, keep it on and return to get back in line for the show that night around 3:00 pm. Otherwise, you'll end up waaay in the back for the show. Standby for rude, inconsiderate people too. I witnessed one bitch actually try and climb her way to the foot of the stage over some girl in a wheelchair who had already claimed her spot. I almost got into it with some asshole who said I was "violating his space" just because I turned around to speak with someone.

All that shit aside, you'll meet some really nice people, mostly the REDHeads who flock down there religiously every year. Some are way cool, while others tend to foget who they are and suddenly consider themselves as part of the "inner circle". It sucks, but it happens. Have a great time, though. I went once, and if I ever go back, it probably won't be during a B'day Bash. It gets crazier and worse every year. Like the song says, "You go there once, you'll be there twice."
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by axebrian
    Man are you in luck . We just happen to have our very own VH Links "Queen of Cabo". Her and her hubby vacation there. This lovely lady goes by the name of "ktgiles". PM her if you have questions about Cabo. Or... I'll bet she "sniffs" this thread out and offers her great insight on this fabulous vacation spot!

Here I am, axe! Thanks for the kind words, by the way. I don't have any insider advice on getting tickets to the Bash, etc. as I always go down to Cabo in July and have never been to "mecca" in October. I would register with the SHML to find out about sunset cruises, beach parties, etc. that will be going on during those two weeks. There are a few different booze cruises scheduled but you need to reserve a place, I believe. There's also a beach party at Tabasco Beach Club on Medano Beach one day. Like I said, all that info. can be found on the SHML or at sammyhagar.net in the forums. Sammy has stated on his website that he'll be playing every other night (or something close to that) for two weeks, so what someone said about it possibly being easier to get in this year b/c he's playing more shows is probably correct.

Here are my recommendations on other things to do, where to eat, etc.

*definitely take a boat out to Lover's Beach. Walk over to the Pacific side but DO NOT EVEN put your feet in the water. Several peop. die each year from just getting pulled out while wading knee deep. The undertow, rip tides, and sand cliffs are unreal.

*a day trip to Todos Santos...on the way, go to Art and Beer (a very cool bar that people rave about). It's a quiet artsy town with a really cool feel.

*snorkeling at Chileno Bay or Santa Maria Bay (you can book a snorkeling cruise at the marina)

*best spots on Medano Beach are The Office (esp. for breakfast but you can end up staying all day), Billygan's Island, and The Mango Deck. We also love the Sand Bar.

*best restaurants:
    Pancho's
    La Dolce
    El Taco Loco (cheap cheap cheap tacos and beer)
    Edith's
    The Office
    Mi Casa
    The Trailerpark Restaurant (the one IN town)
    Mama's (for breakfast)
    The Crazy Lobster
    Cabo Wabo Cantina (their dinners are GREAT)

If you have any specific questions about places to stay, please PM me. I know quite a bit about the different hotels and bed and breakfasts. Over the years, we've stayed at 6 different places and have finally found our favorites!

HAVE FUN and congratulations!!!
    Meet me in Cabo!

Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk

Thanks,

Tomahawk
    Here's some info just posted at redrocker.com about Sam's upcoming B'day Bash:

"Yo Redheads!

Thought you'd appreciate some advance info on the tickets for this
    year's Birthday Bash. The Wabos and I will be playing at least seven
    gigs this year: October 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13 (I need a night to
    recover in between!). As always, tickets are free and passes will be
    handed out on a first-come-first-served basis (two tix per person) on
    the morning of each show.

Winners from A Shot at the Cabo Wabo will perform on October 1, so
    heads-up, these tickets will be tough to get because the winners will
    be there.

Mikey's joining us for a few nights. Kenny Chesney is threatening to
    come again – he had way too much fun last year. And who knows who
    else might show up.

That's it for now. More info will come soon.

See ya in Cabo!"
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Eruption
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Congrats Tomahawk

Tomahawk,

Congrats on the wedding and honeymoon. I"m taking my honeymoon down there too this year. Got married in June, but delayed the honeymoon until now, for the B-Day Bash. I was down there in '97 and boy does it sound like it has changed. He had 3 shows that year and I went to all of them. The first 2 shows were $20 a pop and the last show (B-Day show) was free. The only time we had to wait in a serious line was for the first show. We got in line that day at 4:30 PM, so it sounds like it is a different world now.

Is there a designated "hang out" for anyone from this website? I'd like to meet some of you guys and toss back a few with you.

The coolest thing about going to Cabo before was the fact that everyone just wanted to have a good time. I went down with 2 other people. We didn't know anybody down there and by the end of the 3rd night there, we had dinner with a group of 15 people. It was almost like going to a high school reunion. No fights, no BS, everybody just being cool.

Take care everybody!

"F" the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Favorite VH Album

BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

Crossing over
    Last Online

04.03.12 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by cokemach1
    Tomahawk,

Congrats on the wedding and honeymoon. I"m taking my honeymoon down there too this year. Got married in June, but delayed the honeymoon until now, for the B-Day Bash. I was down there in '97 and boy does it sound like it has changed. He had 3 shows that year and I went to all of them. The first 2 shows were $20 a pop and the last show (B-Day show) was free. The only time we had to wait in a serious line was for the first show. We got in line that day at 4:30 PM, so it sounds like it is a different world now.

Is there a designated "hang out" for anyone from this website? I'd like to meet some of you guys and toss back a few with you.

The coolest thing about going to Cabo before was the fact that everyone just wanted to have a good time. I went down with 2 other people. We didn't know anybody down there and by the end of the 3rd night there, we had dinner with a group of 15 people. It was almost like going to a high school reunion. No fights, no BS, everybody just being cool.

Take care everybody!

"F" the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
    Those were the good old days, leading up to the event, we should coordinate.. I am thinking the office...or billigans..
    Sam, Dave,Gary... who cares. its all about what makes you feel good.