Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

07.20.14 @ 01:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default does this pedal exist?

i need an effect that is similar to this for live playing: just stomp on the button and WHAM, huge volume boost. Im not talking about alittle volume boost, like HUGE volume boost for cutting throught the mix for a solo. Since i play at my school alot and we dont play through a pa, something like this would be very helpful. can anybody help me out?

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.10 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a pedal that's called a micro amp by MXR. it's pretty good for that. Or just get a 2 channel amp and crank the second channel with some gain!! Good luck.

Favorite VH Album

Tabula Rasa
    Last Online

09.26.16 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

You could put a volume pedal in your effects loop. Or ask a friend to make for you a device to decrease the volume in your effects loop, and bypass it when you want to crank it up.
    Be ready for my new amp "III OSIS" produced by H^3 in stores soon [that was funny in 2006]

http://myspace.com/danielbacic ...actually not anymore

www.bacic-tech.com ...gone
    www.viba-sas.it ...website of my old company... gone.

Favorite VH Album

Tabula Rasa
    Last Online

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

If you don't want to affect your distortion/sound, then you have to work between the preamp and the power amp, if you put a device in front of your preamp it will change your sound. However if you use a tube amp decreasing the volume on the power amp will change your sound too, but that's another story. If you have money to spend consider buying a separate preamp and power amp, this will give you maximum flexibility.
    My basic signal path is currently as follows:
    guitar -> patchmate -> JCM900 if I need hi gain i switch on a DS-1
    One signal from JCM900->rocktron harmonizer (right)->power amp-> 4x12 marshall cab
    One signal goes to harmonizer (left) -> alesis midiverb -> tube amp -> 5150 cabinet
    I never had to boost my signal because it gets lost in the mix.
    Maybe it's also a matter of EQ.
    Be ready for my new amp "III OSIS" produced by H^3 in stores soon [that was funny in 2006]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:15 PM
    Liked 11,565 Times in 4,929 Posts

Here's something I used to do way back when.

I have a two-channel amp though.

I'd have the one channel set on clean, for a clean sound. The other channel I'd have as my dirty channel. Then I used a Boss Overdrive OS-2 as a boost pedal for solos. But you'd turn that and the clean channel on at the same time, you don't want to put the overdrive on with the distortion channel or you'll blow up the world. So I had the OS-2 taped near the amp pedal so I could stop them both at the same. Worked pretty well.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the two channel thing sounds nice, but unfortunatley that is not going to work.

about volume pedals though: can you set them at like a "minimum" volume so that way after i crank it up for a solo i dont have to find the "sweet spot" again?

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

you could use a eq pedal and crank everything equaly. has to be one you can switch on and off or bypass. will change your sound a little even equally cranked, byt a very simlpe way to get more gain.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:03 PM
    Liked 726 Times in 343 Posts

A Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster pedal works very well for this on clean channels. Dirt channels are a different story though. When you try to use it for a volume boost on dirt channels, it really just "fattens up" your distortion. Sounds really cool, but doesn't boost your volume much. I've also heard of using an EQ pedal to boost volume for leads.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i did some research, the steve vai little aligator volume pedal seems like something i want because of the minimum volume feature. you can set this nob to where you have your rythym sound in the "down" position, and then when its time for a solo you just crank the pedal up.

Favorite VH Album

Tabula Rasa
    Last Online

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

The roland volume pedal has a pot on the side to set the minimum volume.
    The last time I used one of those was back in '96, so I don't really know if they make still that item.
    If you plan to put it in your effects loop (to me the best choice, to NOT degrade the sound) please remember to buy a pedal suitable for line level signals. Or you could do by yourself a pedal with a relay and a pot. The potentiometer is used to reduce the volume in your fx loop, the relay will bypass it. It's a simple project. I made two or three of them for friends.
    Last edited by batch; 08.22.05 at 02:30 AM.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

08.06.08 @ 04:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

try this ...

in a project box, wire up two 1 Meg potentiometers. The center lug of the left pot goes to the left contact of one side of a footswitch (DPDT switch). The center lug of the right pot goes to the right hand contact of the footswitch. The center of the footswitch goes to the output jack which feeds your amp.

The input will connect to the other side of that footswitch in the center pole. The outer connections on the switch will go to the left hand lug of each pot, respectively. The other remaining lugs on the pots will go to ground (similar to your guitars volume control).

In essence what I've described is a preset volume control in a pedal thats switchable between 2 pots. Set one to "5" on the dial, and set the other to "10" and you can switch between the 2. This will give you presets for your volume better than using a volume pedal will (since you're looking for a sweet spot). However, remember that this will also tame your gain as your input signal will be significantly reduced as if you're messing with your guitars volume knob, because in essence, you are.

Also, remember that a pedal with boost will also only take you SO FAR with a boost before you overload the input on an amp. If you're looking for a HUGE difference in volume, you'll be considering two amps and switching between them using an A/B box (which many pro players do).

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

05.29.12 @ 03:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default MXR Micro amp!!!!!!!!! GET IT NOW

I've been looking for the same thing for 10 years at least. All I wanted was a pedal that I could stomp on and give me more volume (create a lead patch essentially), specifically on the dirty channel on my marshall head. I tried java boost, DS-1, loads of other booster pedals and stuff and even the tube screamer, which I am definatelt keeping, I've even asked a friend to make something up for me based on the alligator because I didn't want a wah style volume, but last month I was turned on to the micro amp and got it two weeks ago and have used it once. Read all about it on harmony central, but as it says, if you run it straight into the amp/head you will be disappointed, if you run it through the loop (preferably at the end of the loop), all I can say is WOW!

I run it on 9-11 o'clock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also RUN THE MXR WITH THE TUBE SCREAMER..........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, I created myself a new "classic rock" patch by using the tube screamer with the clean channel.

Plus, even though it doesn't colour the sound in anyway I just seems to make the whole sound (of or on!!!) a lot smoother. I know that sounds weird, but to my ears its true.
    Last edited by timstar; 08.25.05 at 04:32 AM. Reason: new text