Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

04.01.11 @ 07:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Mars visible to the human eye

Subject: FW: Last Chance Viewing In This Lifetime

Mars

The Red Planet is about to be spectacular!
    This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars in an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the Last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification

Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye.
    Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at 10 pm. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m.

By the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30 a.m. That's pretty convenient to see something that no human being has seen in recorded history. So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month.

Share this with your children and grandchildren.
    NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL EVER SEE THIS AGAIN
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.
    False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil.
    Compassion is the basis of all morality.
    The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.
    www.myspace.com/getracefan8

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Awesome! I can't wait to see it
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by racefan8
    mwuhahahahahaha!

[/diablo voice]

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:40 PM
    Liked 1,595 Times in 981 Posts

Donor

I'd heard it WON'T be as big as a full moon.

Man, I hope I'm wrong. That would be awesome. And a little freaky.

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There's no possible way it'll be as big as a full moon, or even a tenth as big.

It's saying that, magnified 75 times, Mars will look as big as the full moon does to the naked eye. Bad wording there.
    Last edited by janthraxx; 08.12.05 at 10:51 AM.
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    I'd heard it WON'T be as big as a full moon.

Man, I hope I'm wrong. That would be awesome. And a little freaky.
    It will be with a scope at x75 power, which is still incredibly close.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Last Online

Donor

Exactly. My understanding is it's only gonna be a bit larger than it currently is. That said, still cool beans. The Red Planet, boo ya.

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad
    It will be with a scope at x75 power, which is still incredibly close.

Do you telescope as a hobby? Always wanted to get into that.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 04:17 AM
    Liked 432 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

I will look for it now in the nite-time sky. Will be spectular I'm sure. As a side note, I remember back in '86 on whenever it was, my dad and all four of us brother's went out to the Bay Bridge at 3am to look at Haley's Comet. Not alot of people can say they did that.
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Unchained only letters and numbers's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

10.28.14 @ 02:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by racefan8

Hey, just like last year's Van Halen tour!
    January 5, 2005 - Resurrection

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    Do you telescope as a hobby? Always wanted to get into that.
    Negative. I've wanted to also. I've found myself carousing ebay and craigslist recently....
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

04.27.16 @ 06:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That's amazing! I've always had an interest for astronomy, but I don't really know that mcuh about it
    ***OFFCIAL TLW 8 VIRGIN/SURVIVOR!***

"Mean ass calendar!"-TST

"GYPSY DILDO PUNKS!"-Harry Dean Stanton

I'm Polish but I don't speak any of the language or know anything about it's culture other than getting mowed down by Hitler...-fast98dodge

My head is freshly shaven and I have cleaned the house before my departure-Viking preparing for TLW

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by janthraxx
    Bad wording there.
    I thought so, too. This is just pasted from an email I received. I didn't have time to revise. Still, this will be pretty cool.
    False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil.
    The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

07.12.08 @ 04:41 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

MARS HOAX

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story...8-DBC85D804690

Beware of the ‘Mars Hoax’
    LAST UPDATE: 8/12/2005 6:37:48 AM

By Bob Kelley, Scobee Planetarium

Recently, astronomers world-wide, the Scobee Planetarium included, have received thousands of emails containing incorrect information about the planet Mars. Apparently, an erroneous email is spreading across the Internet stating that Mars will be extremely close to Earth this month. Furthermore, this email claims that on August 27, 2005, “Mars will appear as big as the full Moon.”

Not only is the information flawed, it references a not so “close encounter” that took place between the Earth and Mars two years ago!

As Earth and Mars circle the Sun, they come near one another every 2.13 years or 2 years and 2 months. During the most recent passage of Earth and Mars in August 2003, the separation between the two planets was near historic minimums - 34,626,960 miles. You might remember the headlines. By a few miles, this would be our best view of Mars in almost 60,000 years - a sight that would not be rivaled until the year 2287.

When will Mars pass by the Earth again? The next close approach between these two worlds happens on October 30th, 2005. However, because of the elliptical nature of both the orbits of Earth and Mars, the minimum distance separating the two on October 30th will be 43,109,000 miles - almost 10 million miles further away than it was on August 27th, 2003.

In late October and early November, Mars will sparkle above the eastern horizon with a fiery orange hue, outshining everything in the night sky with the exception of the Moon, Venus and Jupiter. Still, Mars will appear only as a bright “star-like” object, not as “big as the full Moon” as claimed in this bogus email! If Mars were to appear as big as the full Moon, our planet would suffer dire atmospheric and geological consequences. By the way, the Scobee Planetarium will host a special “Mars Party” in mid November to observe the red planet with a variety of telescopes. More details on this at a later date.

Therefore, beware of the ‘Mars Hoax!’ If you receive such a bogus email, request the sender provide current information, not something about Mars that took place 2 years ago – news that the Pony Express could have delivered faster! As for this hoax, do astronomers a favor and spread the correct information!

Awww, bogus!
    Last edited by Kevy5150; 08.12.05 at 04:01 PM.
    Respects.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevy5150
    http://www.woai.com/news/local/story...8-DBC85D804690

LAST UPDATE: 8/12/2005 6:37:48 AM

By Bob Kelley, Scobee Planetarium

Recently, astronomers world-wide, the Scobee Planetarium included, have received thousands of emails containing incorrect information about the planet Mars. Apparently, an erroneous email is spreading across the Internet stating that Mars will be extremely close to Earth this month. Furthermore, this email claims that on August 27, 2005, “Mars will appear as big as the full Moon.”

Not only is the information flawed, it references a not so “close encounter” that took place between the Earth and Mars two years ago!

As Earth and Mars circle the Sun, they come near one another every 2.13 years or 2 years and 2 months. During the most recent passage of Earth and Mars in August 2003, the separation between the two planets was near historic minimums - 34,626,960 miles. You might remember the headlines. By a few miles, this would be our best view of Mars in almost 60,000 years - a sight that would not be rivaled until the year 2287.

When will Mars pass by the Earth again? The next close approach between these two worlds happens on October 30th, 2005. However, because of the elliptical nature of both the orbits of Earth and Mars, the minimum distance separating the two on October 30th will be 43,109,000 miles - almost 10 million miles further away than it was on August 27th, 2003.

In late October and early November, Mars will sparkle above the eastern horizon with a fiery orange hue, outshining everything in the night sky with the exception of the Moon, Venus and Jupiter. Still, Mars will appear only as a bright “star-like” object, not as “big as the full Moon” as claimed in this bogus email! If Mars were to appear as big as the full Moon, our planet would suffer dire atmospheric and geological consequences. By the way, the Scobee Planetarium will host a special “Mars Party” in mid November to observe the red planet with a variety of telescopes. More details on this at a later date.

Therefore, beware of the ‘Mars Hoax!’ If you receive such a bogus email, request the sender provide current information, not something about Mars that took place 2 years ago – news that the Pony Express could have delivered faster! As for this hoax, do astronomers a favor and spread the correct information!

Awww, bogus!
    Wow - you're shittin' me. Really? I saw this on the news last month. Of course, that could just be Indiana for ya. Boy, am I gullible. Thanks for letting me know!!

"Somebody tell that racefan chick to get her facts straight before she posts!"
    Last edited by racefan8; 08.12.05 at 04:17 PM.