Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

People Try to Lose Weight at McDonald's

Inspired by the documentary "Super Size Me," Merab Morgan decided to give a fast-food-only diet a try. The construction worker and mother of two ate only at McDonald's for 90 days and dropped 37 pounds in the process.

It was a vastly different outcome than what happened in the documentary to filmmaker Morgan Spurlock, who put on 30 pounds and saw his health deteriorate after 5,000 calories a day of nothing but McDonald's food.

Morgan, from Raleigh, thought the documentary had unfairly targeted the world's largest restaurant company, implying that the obese were victims of a careless corporate giant. People are responsible for what they eat, she said, not restaurants. The problem with a McDonald's-only diet isn't what's on the menu, but the choices made from it, she said.

"I thought it's two birds with one stone to lose weight and to prove a point for the little fat people," Morgan said. "Just because they accidentally put an apple pie in my bag instead of my apple dippers doesn't mean I'm going to say, 'Oh, I can eat the apple pie.'"

Spurlock, who turned his surprise-hit movie into a TV show on the FX network, isn't talking about Morgan or the many other McDieters who have criticized his film and found success losing weight by eating healthy foods off the McDonald's menu, said his agent, David Magdael.

One person went so far as to make her own independent film about dieting at McDonald's. "Me and Mickey D" follows Soso Whaley, of Kensington, N.H., as she spends three 30-day periods on the diet. She dropped from 175 to 139 pounds, eating 2,000 calories-a-day at McDonald's.

"I had to think about what I was eating," Whaley said. "I couldn't just walk in there and say 'I'll take a cinnamon bun and a Diet Coke.' ... I know a lot of people are really turned off by the whole thought of monitoring what they are eating, but that's part of the problem."

As might be expected, McDonald's also objected to the impressions left by Spurlock's film. Walt Riker, the company's vice president of corporate communications, said Oak Brook, Ill.-based company is pleased but not surprised that some customers have lost weight eating only at the fast-food giant.

Spurlock's film "really spurred a backlash based on common sense," Riker said.

Morgan used nutritional information downloaded from McDonald's Web site to create meal plans of no more than 1,400 calories a day. She only ate french fries twice, usually choosing burgers and salads. Those choices are a stark contrast with those made by Spurlock, who ate every menu item at least once.

At the end of the 90 days, she had dropped from 227 to 190 pounds.

"It feels great," she said. "Because, the truth of the matter is that beauty is power, and if you're fat, or your overweight, then people don't really take you seriously."

Dawn Jackson Blatner, a registered dietitian and spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association, agreed that a low-calorie, McDonald's-only diet can help people lose weight but said it may not offer enough long-term variety. Whatever an individual does to lose weight, they need to do for the rest of their life, she said.

Morgan said she hasn't decided if she will stick with the McDonald's-only plan to reach her goal of 150 pounds. But she does have one complaint about McDonald's.

"If I could suggest anything to McDonald's, I would suggest the McMargarita," Morgan said. "Dine-in only, of course."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

04.01.11 @ 07:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah! Finally a common sense report. Spurlock is an idiot.
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.
    False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil.
    Compassion is the basis of all morality.
    The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.
    www.myspace.com/getracefan8

Good Enough
    Last Online

06.29.07 @ 03:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think if most people ate Micky Ds for three meals a day, they would gain weight and feel like shit with all those chemicals that are in fast food. That has been my own personal experience....."Super Size" me is a really cool documentary that I recommend if you have not seen it.

Spurlock ate what most people eat when they go to Mc Donalds.....the combo meals and that added up to 5k calories a day. The lady in the article only had 1400k calories a day.

Morgan used nutritional information downloaded from McDonald's Web site to create meal plans of no more than 1,400 calories a day. She only ate french fries twice, usually choosing burgers and salads. Those choices are a stark contrast with those made by Spurlock, who ate every menu item at least once.
    1400 calories a day!?!? You usually get that after one big mac, large fries, and coke! She was eating salads!!! Most people go there to get burgers...not freaking salads!!
    From 3-13 to 10-6 and NFC South Champs.....go Saints!

My Hurricane Katrina pics

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I've always felt that purchasing a salad at MacDonald's was similar to buying a loaf of bread baked by the Exxon Corporation.

Odd about the McMargarita...I remember when a local Arby's here in South Florida did in fact sell bottled beer!

Now that I think of it, so did Chucky Cheese...my friends and I would get loaded, go outside and smoke a bowl or two, come back in and blast away at video games (it was the early eighties, after all).

...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig
    I've always felt that purchasing a salad at MacDonald's was similar to buying a loaf of bread baked by the Exxon Corporation.

Odd about the McMargarita...I remember when a local Arby's here in South Florida did in fact sell bottled beer!

Now that I think of it, so did Chucky Cheese...my friends and I would get loaded, go outside and smoke a bowl or two, come back in and blast away at video games (it was the early eighties, after all).

...craig
    CC,

The salad thing reminds me of my obese uncle. He would eat like a freaking horse and then top it off with a diet coke. That allways made me chuckle....

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    CC,

The salad thing reminds me of my obese uncle. He would eat like a freaking horse and then top it off with a diet coke. That allways made me chuckle....
    Too true. Do you remember when Wendy's had a salad bar?

I distinctly recall going there at lunchtime with a co-worker, and our entertainment would be to watch overweight folk come by and assemble these "volcano island" sized monstrosities, half a foot tall and wash it down with Fresca or something!

I remember actually saying out loud: "Christ, how much can one person eat?"
    To which my buddy laughed so loud the "consumer" complained to the manager.

Thing is, although the manager (a very nice fellow) asked us to leave, as we had already finished eating, he agreed with me, and said the store was losing money big time on the salad bar.

Sure enough, it was gone within 6 months!

It was around this time MacDonald's introduced their idea of a salad.

Another monster is the salad available at Taco Bell (I believe they still offer it, I may be wrong). It comes in an edible "bowl", roughly the size of John Wayne's hat.

Think of the concept: One devours a bowling ball sized salad, then one gets to eat the fucking bowl it came in!

Great to hear from you Den...hope all is well at home.

All the best.
    ...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All is well, thanks CC!

I remember those Wendy's salad bars. You could pile your plate and comeback for more...

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:50 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

Those people also cut there calories down. Well, yeah, you will lose weight if you do that. What it didn't say was how much the people were excercising. That will make a HUGE difference.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Last Online

03.25.16 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Fat people always look for an excuse as to why they are larger. Put down the Mcfatty burger and get off your ass.

Why are these people that lost weight on the McD's diet overweight to begin with? They would have lost the weight no matter where they ate as long as they cut their calorie intake.

America has too many fat fuckers. Although fat VH fans will always be alright with me.

Last Online

Well diet is based upon upbringing also, don't forget.

I have many friends from the Bahamas, for instance.

Every freaking meal includes rice .

Christ, with that much starch in your diet, you could shit out an ironing board.

If parents continue to shove food down the throats of their children, without any regard to diet or discipline, this "food-chain" will never be broken.

As a parent, if you take the kids to "insert fast food place name here", paying attention to what you purchase for them is a good place to start, rather than throwing burgers and fries in the kid's faces to shut them up.

Then again, the only "fast-food' that I eat anymore is Taco Bell ( ), and that's only when I'm shit-faced.

...craig
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig
    Then again, the only "fast-food' that I eat anymore is Taco Bell ( ), and that's only when I'm shit-faced.

...craig
    LMAO! That's really the only good excuse for behavior like that.

Personally, Del Taco is my drunken/stoned vice
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

04.01.11 @ 07:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by janthraxx
    LMAO! That's really the only good excuse for behavior like that.

Personally, Del Taco is my drunken/stoned vice
    LOL - now I know why we all get along so well here. Nothing like a Burrito Supreme when fucked up.

But I have to say, each time my kids beg for McD's, I cringe and order the salad. I just can't digest that greasy shit anymore.
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.
    False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil.
    Compassion is the basis of all morality.
    The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.
    www.myspace.com/getracefan8

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:20 PM
    Liked 1,617 Times in 994 Posts

Donor

You know what they say about Taco Bell hot sauces....

Remember when they came in the peel-off squares instead of the current ketchup-like packets, sort of like butter pat squares, right?

You could drop a penny into one of 'em, wait 30 seconds, and the sucker would come out bright and shiny copper new.

Always remember doing that after a twelve pack of Silver Bullet and too many clove cigarettes at 1 am in some godforsaken Taco Bell in the middle of the desert.

Chef, that stuff'll kill ya. That said, I had some this week.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah, can't say it much better than craig, but these guys are missing the
    point. Super-Size Me is about what this shit can and will do to you if you eat
    what people typically eat there in any quantity for a length of time. It's like
    trying to demonstrate that cigarettes aren't bad by, well, eating a salad...
    How hooked on that crap do you have to be to make this kind of argument?
    Last edited by mistere; 08.12.05 at 10:40 AM.

Last Online

03.25.16 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mistere
    How hooked on that crap do you have to be to make this kind of argument?
    I completely agree. The lengths people will go to.