Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:40 PM
    Liked 1,595 Times in 981 Posts

Donor

Default Sammy Hagar On The Beach

So looks like this is the extended plan...Round 20 of SamWank '05, comin' your way.

If Sammy Hagar learned anything from last year's Van Halen reunion tour, it's that he wants to have fun playing music.

Taking that to heart, the self-proclaimed Red Rocker will stage the first of what he hopes will be many festivals, dubbed "The Tequila Made Me Do It!" at 3 p.m. Saturday at DTE Energy Music Theatre in Clarkston.

Sort of a natural evolution of Hagar's no-holds-barred parties-cum-concerts, the event will include a tailgate party, sand volleyball, mariachi music, Mexican food, bikini-clad Cabo Wabo girls, karaoke (dubbed "Sammy-oke") and an area where bronzed beauties and beefcake will spray revelers with suntan lotion.

It's a dry run (pun intended) for a possible summer festival tour. If the show's a success - and with fewer than 3,000 tickets left, it's looking pretty good - Hagar hopes to sell the idea to promoters around the country.

"In Detroit, we're writing the manual, recording and filming this whole thing from beginning to end, from load-in in the morning to the dump trucks full of beach sand being dropped off," the 55-year-old ex-Van Halen frontman said in a recent interview. "We're making a 15-minute instructional film of how this is the way Sammy wants to play."

In addition to the food, libations and eye candy, Hagar is making the choice real easy for hardcore and casual fans. Tickets are only $10 for lawn seating, $20 for pavilion - unusually low for a star of his stature. Hagar admitted that the hefty $350 VIP packages for last year's Van Halen tour "bothered me every night," so he consciously decided to keep prices down to attract larger crowds (DTE holds 16,000) who'll keep concessionaires busy.

"Ticket prices (today) make me sick. I happen to be a fortunate human being. That's why the slogan for the whole concept is 'The Tequila Made Me Do It!' I have the No. 2 premium brand in America," he said, referring to his popular Cabo Wabo Tequila line. "I don't have to make music my business anymore. I haven't for a long time."

The concept is simple: Recreate the simple pleasures he's enjoyed for years in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, where Hagar has a home and a popular nightclub, Cabo Wabo (he also has a club in Lake Tahoe).

"I'm trying to create in one fenced-in area the whole thing, what happens on the beach, downtown, the club, the music, the food, the taco stands. I'm trying to put it all together like that," he said.

"One of the main keys to Mexico is when the sun goes down, smelling the barbecue, all the taco stands, hearing the mariachis down the road. ... It gives me goose bumps now, just thinking about it."

The show has its roots in a "Cinco de Cabo" tour stop last May at the Fox Theatre in Detroit. Hagar and his manager invited officials from Clear Channel Entertainment's Detroit-area office Palace Sports & Entertainment, which owns DTE, to, as Hargar put it, "create this thing so Sammy can go out."

He drew additional inspiration from Jimmy Buffett's shows ("He's the godfather ... of the party") and his frustration with last year's Van Halen reunion tour, in which his touchy relationship with guitarist Eddie Van Halen deteriorated again.

"I'm very spontaneous and emotional about everything I do. Like the Van Halen thing just taught me so much, that this is not as much fun (as it should be)," he said. "This is one of the biggest bands in the world, selling huge amounts of tickets at huge prices and the fans are so happy and I'm up there going, 'Damn, this could be a lot of fun.' But we did the same show every night, and Eddie and I were not getting along offstage."

So don't hold your breath waiting for another Van Hagar reunion. Hagar has no misgivings about doing encores Saturday at DTE, Aug. 13 in Lake Tahoe and Aug. 14 in Concord, Calif., with Montrose, which will include guitarist Ronnie Montrose, bassist Bill Church and drummer Donny Carmasi.

"We're doing each other a favor," said Hagar, who is working on a song for Ronnie Montrose's upcoming duets album. Plus, "it's a nice perk for hardcore, old-time fans."

It's too early to tell if promoters will go for the whole enchilada, but Hagar says that if they want him to tour in the future, they'll have to step up to his table. "If you wanna book Sammy and the Wabos," he said, "this is what you gotta do."

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

One foot out the door
    Last Online

09.02.05 @ 03:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Way to go Sammy, throw some more dirt on top of your Van Halenized coffin. If you are having fun great, keep it that way without pulling in the negativity.
    "My son, ask for thee another kingdom...for that which I leave is too small for thee"- King Phillip of Macedonia to Alexander the Great-339 B.C.

4/1/85-We remember.....

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

i gotta say this:
    from a business perspective, i like the way he handles his "franchise", so to speak..i admire his business sense and his drive and the fact that it DOES create a better value and an overall good time for the fan.
    of course, im sure he makes loads of money off of concessions and stuff,, but i never harbor jealousy for a businessman making as much as he can. if i dont want to buy it, i dont have to.
    And if its that hard to get along with Ed..if he truly is a downer, i dont think he should slam him, out of respect, but i cant say i blame him for not wanting to make music or tour w/ him.

I just wish Ed was/is the happy guitar guy..

oh, and yes, i may be schizophrenic!!
    Last edited by perticelli; 08.11.05 at 10:07 AM.
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Sam's just havin fun now...VH is over, glad i saw em one last time. Just waiting for Sammy to come back to SA or Austin- his shows are always a good time.
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:11 PM
    Liked 2,051 Times in 665 Posts

Bring on an Eddie Van Halen solo cd...
    Sammy's music is good...it's ok....

I want to hear Eddie and Alex
    Let Eddie play bass and release something next year

Sammy's gone

Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Well since it sounds like VH is next to done with sam, I wonder if that means that Satch and Vai will come knocking on ed's door for a G3 tour which would be fuckin awesome!
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you Sammy if you read this post! It appears you've listened or read something to make you rethink what you say.

I have absolutely no problem with any of his comments. It's simply stating that he wanted it to be more fun than it was and he and Ed didn't get along like he would have liked. No finger pointing, no blame, no calling someone out on their personal issues.

THANK YOU SAMMY. That's showing alot more class and tact. I'm glad he is at least keeping us posted of his thoughts and some of his plans plus having a good time making a buck. Nothing wrong with that.

Oh yeah, and Edward, we are looking forward to that solo CD!

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Tickets are only $10 for lawn seating, $20 for pavilion - unusually low for a star of his stature. Hagar admitted that the hefty $350 VIP packages for last year's Van Halen tour "bothered me every night," so he consciously decided to keep prices down to attract larger crowds (DTE holds 16,000) who'll keep concessionaires busy.

"Ticket prices (today) make me sick. I happen to be a fortunate human being. That's why the slogan for the whole concept is 'The Tequila Made Me Do It!' I have the No. 2 premium brand in America," he said, referring to his popular Cabo Wabo Tequila line. "I don't have to make music my business anymore. I haven't for a long time."
    Every time someone blames Sam in a cashgrab I'm gonna re-post this
    Last edited by Mishar McLeud; 08.11.05 at 12:21 PM.

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

Hagar admitted that the hefty $350 VIP packages for last year's Van Halen tour "bothered me every night,

So he didn't show up!, he prefered to get the money and don't give the FANS what they paid for.

Sammy, you defenetly are not a TEAM PLAYER, remeber this is (was) a band, not a solo act.

Now we all understand that you prefer to be the boss, and do things your way, not a band way.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If the $400 (not 350) price tag for 5-star tickets bothered him so much, why didn't he come out to soundcheck, mingle with the fans, sign autographs, etc., and hence give us our money's worth??

I'm starting to get just a little bit sick of him.
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:40 PM
    Liked 1,595 Times in 981 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ED-A-HOLIC

Now we all understand that you prefer to be the boss, and do things your way, not a band way.

Dude, NONE of them have done things in a 'band way' since WACF, with the likely exceptions of Mikey and Gary. Dave liked to call the shots, and so did Ed and Al.

One thing these guys will never be accused of is perfect harmony.

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    Dude, NONE of them have done things in a 'band way' since WACF, with the likely exceptions of Mikey and Gary. Dave liked to call the shots, and so did Ed and Al.

One thing these guys will never be accused of is perfect harmony.

At least they looked like a band until 93, it just seems Sam, doesn't know that this type of comments only affect VAN HALEN fans, which he was part for a long time, and made all his money from, that's what bothers me.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 06:02 PM
    Liked 720 Times in 290 Posts

I really don't think that there will ever be a VH with Sammy again. I'm ok with that. Sammy just wants to be Jimmy Buffet anyway....

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:11 PM
    Liked 2,051 Times in 665 Posts

Maybe they'll do something with Sammy again

One day...like a full cd and final tour but who knows when???

Maybe Dave will be back for a full cd or a box set of rare stuff and a few new songs...and a tour... but who knows when????

Maybe Eddie and Al will release an instrumental cd...
    or an all-star cd

Or Eddie will score a film...

That's about all we can ever expect

It's all over for a while
    unless a solo thing comes out
    or dave
    cause the sam thing IF it did happen would be in like 3 years...

Last Online

02.10.12 @ 07:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Boxer 9901
    Well since it sounds like VH is next to done with sam, I wonder if that means that Satch and Vai will come knocking on ed's door for a G3 tour which would be fuckin awesome!
    I doubt it. Those tours are for guitarists who remember how to play their guitars, not drunken ass-pipes like Eddie. Rock on Sammy!
    "Alex-bocephous-Bo-Halen AAOOUGHH!!"