Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts

Donor

Default John Lennon

Don't know if this has been posted , but it was so sad , I just had to post it !

'Lennon,' the Yoko Musical, Needs 'Help!'
    July 21, 2005
    By Roger Friedman

"Lennon," the Broadway musical that's supposed to be about or inspired by John Lennon, is a horrid wreck of a thing that needs major overhauling before it opens Aug. 4.

Yesterday afternoon, I let curiosity get the better of me. On a whim, I called up May Pang, Lennon's girlfriend for a big chunk of the 1970s, and suggested we go take a look at what Yoko Ono and friends had whipped up for Broadway audiences.

This is not a review, since "Lennon" has not officially opened yet, and should not be quoted as such. These are just observations, from a Beatles fan and from a woman who knew John and Yoko better than most. We are very protective of the Beatles legacy, you know, those of us in our later years!

"Lennon," you should know, is a biographical musical that almost completely avoids the Beatles. There is no mention of the group, and scant reference to its other members.

A heavyset black actor plays Paul McCartney. Ringo Starr and George Harrison are mere blips in the script.

The show boasts not one actual Beatles song, with the exception of "The Ballad of John and Yoko," which was written and recorded by Lennon and McCartney together. (That point is not made, however, because McCartney is meritless in Yoko's universe.)

Otherwise, no "In My Life," "Come Together," "Help!," "A Day in the Life," "I Feel Fine," or any of the other Lennon standards from the Beatles catalog.

At one point the opening guitar chord from "A Hard Day's Night" is heard, and then dropped.

Indeed, from Lennon's solo repertoire, "Jealous Guy," "No. 9 Dream" and "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" are noticeably absent as well.

That's because Ono, no matter how much you may think she's either a widow still in pain or a genius performance artist, has made "Lennon" all about her.

I've no doubt that Cynthia Lennon, John's first wife, and Julian Lennon, his eldest son, will skip the show entirely. Ditto McCartney, Starr and George's widow, Olivia Harrison.

They would all cringe as the show quickly dismisses the entire Beatles era so it can get to Lennon proclaiming his love and adoration for Yoko. She's his "Ono and only."

The whole experience was bizarre, made more so by the fact that May Pang was my companion for the afternoon.

After all, Pang went to work for the Lennons in 1970 and had a nearly two-year-long affair with John in 1973-74. She was there for the recording of his "Rock & Roll" and "Shaved Fish" albums. She lived with him in Los Angeles during his infamous year-and-half-long "Lost Weekend."

So imagine her reaction when "Lennon" just skips any reference to her. It's like being airbrushed out of a picture.

"I sent John to Los Angeles," Ono played by talented, attractive Julie Danao-Salkin declares at that point.

Pang almost did a spit-take at that point.

"No," she informed me, "I took John to Los Angeles."

Though the Lennons are reunited on stage during a romantic song, Pang points out: "Yoko summoned John home. She told him she could cure his smoking through hypnosis."

She rolled her eyes. "When I saw him again, it was as if he was a different person altogether."

Also not mentioned is that Pang who tried to reunite Lennon with McCartney continued to have a friendship with Lennon until a year before he died.

But that's the problem with "Lennon." Ono and pals have so rewritten or unwritten history that you have no idea who John Lennon was. You get no sense of his humor, of how he wrote songs or of his actual friendships with the other Beatles.

How could a man who helped compose dozens of catchy melodies with McCartney be rendered on stage as a cipher? Where is the magic of writing "Michelle" or the satisfaction of producing the "Sgt. Pepper" album? It's as if none of it happened.

Imagine, if you will, a McCartney musical that only focused on his participation in Wings.

Instead, "Lennon" throws in a lot of unimportant songs, mixes them with events to which they had no attachment and jumps back and forth in time until it's almost too confusing to figure out what the heck is going on.

Does an audience paying $100 a ticket really want to hear "Mother," "Mind Games," "Steppin' Out" and a torch-song rendition performed off-key of "Woman Is the ****************************** of the World"?

I think not.

And we did not need a screechy that's the only way to describe most of the female voices in this cast rendering of "How Do You Sleep?"

The show does boast two unrecorded Lennon songs, "India India" and "I Don't Want to Lose You." The former is pretty; the latter is a bit pretentious and not Lennon's best work.

Neither one of them is presented very well, with "India India" used really to mock the Beatles' famous trip to that country. Another "lost" Lennon song, called "Cookin' (in the Kitchen of Love)," promised in press materials long ago, is not included.

"Lennon" has already been cited by my colleague Michael Riedel in the New York Post for being in trouble. But really, this is the kind of trouble the creative team could only have brought on itself.

The show reminded me of the god-awful TNT "Tribute to John Lennon" Ono produced four years ago. That was another show that omitted the Beatles and promoted the latter part of Lennon's career.

For the record, the Broadway show seems to still be in flux. Two songs "New York City" and "Oh My Love" were in the printed program, but didn't make the cut. The orchestrations, by the usually more level-headed Harold Wheeler, are almost all wrong for the songs.

Lennon must be turning in his grave. (So, too, must former Yippie Jerry Rubin, who really gets a raw deal by being portrayed as a buffoon.)

What can director Don Scardino do? Postpone the opening for two more weeks. No one really cares at this point.

Re-title the show "In My Life." Tell the story in proper chronology, not jumping all over the place. (There is much that should have been fact-checked.) Add "Across the Universe" and maybe a half-dozen Beatles songs (Michael Jackson needs the money, after all).

Try some laughs. Even putting in the rollicking blues number "Oh Yoko!" would do more to explain Lennon's interest in his mysterious wife than presenting her as a misunderstood martyr.

Lose the all-female rock band with big hair from the '80s, the ones who inexplicably shriek the Motown hits "Twist and Shout" and "Money."

Lose the multiple actors playing Lennon, keeping only the very talented Will Chase. Another "Lennon," Terrence Mann, who looks more like Boz Scaggs, could be recast as an older McCartney.

Ease up on the "I told you so" speeches by Yoko. Really. Otherwise call the show "Ono."

Finally, at least for now, I can't get over the irony of Clear Channel Entertainment producing a John Lennon musical. Clear Channel, destroyer of radio, masticator of the concert business, would have been Lennon's archenemy had he lived.

Clear Channel certainly has the money and power to have a place on Broadway. But you almost feel that this show, of all shows, is haunted by inappropriate corporate sponsorship. It's a little icky.
    Last edited by Lodewijk; 08.10.05 at 06:05 AM.
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Jesus...What a freakin' debacle....
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts

Donor

Man ,I didn't realize how long that post was , sorry !

Anyway , here's the part that had me rolling on the floor............

"A heavyset black actor plays Paul McCartney".
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

07.13.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

LOL....this is gonna bomb, their probably trying to emulate the Billy Joel show "Movin' Out" Poor Lennon!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Well it is a creation from the one and thankfully only Yoko Oh no!!

Can we honestly say that we're that surprised??

She's always been kinda out there.

I agree with this properly titled thread. John's probably doin some heavy rollin right about now. What an insult to his music legacy.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

"We live in a country where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono is standing right next to him, NOT ONE FUCKING BULLET!!! EXPLAIN IT TO ME GOD, EXPLAIN IT TO ME NOW, JESUS CHRIST!!!!! Now we've got 25 more years of AYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAAYAAAAAAA!!!!! Yeah, I'm real happy now, GOD. I'm wearing a HUGE happy hat... JESUS CHRIST!!!!!!!" -Dennis Leary

'nuff said.
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Ventura
    "We live in a country where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono is standing right next to him, NOT ONE FUCKING BULLET!!! EXPLAIN IT TO ME GOD, EXPLAIN IT TO ME NOW, JESUS CHRIST!!!!! Now we've got 25 more years of AYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAAYAAAAAAA!!!!! Yeah, I'm real happy now, GOD. I'm wearing a HUGE happy hat... JESUS CHRIST!!!!!!!" -Dennis Leary

'nuff said.
    "Excellent" - Monty Burns

Great post!!
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 1,351 Times in 927 Posts

I've always tried to cut Yoko some slack because, for reasons we can't understand, John truly loved her. But damn, sometimes I have to wonder at the way she reciprocates that love.

Good thing out of this (thread) and seeing "I'm Stepping Out" on VH-1 Classic last night is it made me want to spin some Lennon.

As cruel and probably wrong as it is, I LOVE the Leary quote!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.10.10 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes Dennis Leary is a wise man isn't he. When I was in Liverpool I saw banners of boobs and ahhhh hoo hoos up all over downtown. It was an art display of Yoko's.
    "Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
    --Mark Twain

There's no one as smart as a gambler at the track putting thier last $10.00 on the longest shot of the day.

Last Online

06.10.07 @ 04:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Some people don't know when to leave well enough alone.

Hang 'Em High Blind Lemon Loons's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth!!
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty Whooooo! Look Out!
    Last Online

12.03.17 @ 07:20 AM
    Liked 154 Times in 114 Posts

Donor

Worst thing 'bout Yoko is her acting on,"One Day At A Time."

And then that Toronto Peace Festival when Clapton was playin' with Lennon...great set until she gets onstage and starts...inward singing or something...

Same thing with the Rolling Stones Rock N Roll Circus...
    ASHES TO ASHES...DUST TO DUST...IF THE WOMEN DON'T GET YA, THE WHISKEY MUST!!...

"I used to play the blues alone in all the local joints," he explained. 'The only thing that I can really play on guitar to this day is the blues. I heard Doc Watson and his son playing 15 years ago, and from there I got into Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker."--DLR

If you pay attention -- what I sing, the guitar sings, too, and what the guitar says, I say.--Mississippi Fred McDowell

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 1,351 Times in 927 Posts

Next time the kiddies act up I think I'm gonna threaten to make 'em listen to side 2 of Live Peace In Toronto!

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Lemon Loons
    Worst thing 'bout Yoko is her acting on,"One Day At A Time."
    LMAO

Yoko would like to ignore John's life before he met her.

Hang 'Em High Blind Lemon Loons's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth!!
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty Whooooo! Look Out!
    Last Online

12.03.17 @ 07:20 AM
    Liked 154 Times in 114 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by billy007
    Next time the kiddies act up I think I'm gonna threaten to make 'em listen to side 2 of Live Peace In Toronto!
    LOL! Reminds me of an ol' Hank Williams, Sr. quote,"Boys, it's tough when you got a wife that wants to sing. And it's hell when you got a wife that wants to sing and can't."

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Lemon Loons
    LOL! Reminds me of an ol' Hank Williams, Sr. quote,"Boys, it's tough when you got a wife that wants to sing. And it's hell when you got a wife that wants to sing and can't."

Yep she's a strange one.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen