Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not the same

Top Of The World
    Last Online

01.24.12 @ 02:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not the same

Things here at the forum are not the same as when Gary was hired then fired. Even during his tenure there were tons of speculations and hopes and dreams of either a Dave or Sam rejoining the band. Now, for me at least, it feels as if the band is done. I don' think it was a mistake last year of Sam and Ed getting back together and touring. The mistake may have been in just doing the three songs and best of hits package. They should have just had fun playing whatever songs they wanted to on the tour and then made an honest effort to put time in the studio afterwards. Who knows? All I know is that the vibe is gone at the moment; perhaps, because there is not much hope VH getting back together. What doesn't make sense is that I enjoyed the concert last year and thought it was a great stepping stone for a new album or at least another tour. All you hear is how Sam is having fun playing (with special guest M.A. or Montrose or "anyone else but Ed or Al". PLEASE!!! For the love of God!!! "Ed, if you are reading this get Sam back into the studio and just play some music."

Yeah, just an empty wish washed down with a big ol' glass of nothin'.
    If it ain't red then paint it!

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by munomi
    Things here at the forum are not the same as when Gary was hired then fired. Even during his tenure there were tons of speculations and hopes and dreams of either a Dave or Sam rejoining the band. Now, for me at least, it feels as if the band is done. I don' think it was a mistake last year of Sam and Ed getting back together and touring. The mistake may have been in just doing the three songs and best of hits package. They should have just had fun playing whatever songs they wanted to on the tour and then made an honest effort to put time in the studio afterwards. Who knows? All I know is that the vibe is gone at the moment; perhaps, because there is not much hope VH getting back together. What doesn't make sense is that I enjoyed the concert last year and thought it was a great stepping stone for a new album or at least another tour. All you hear is how Sam is having fun playing (with special guest M.A. or Montrose or "anyone else but Ed or Al". PLEASE!!! For the love of God!!! "Ed, if you are reading this get Sam back into the studio and just play some music."

Yeah, just an empty wish washed down with a big ol' glass of nothin'.
    Yeah, I had hope that VH would be making a new album soon, but Sammy doesn't get along with Ed, he says anymore. I also don't like hearing that Sammy had fun playing with other bands. He made his fans believe that he would be back with VH for a much longer time.

I will move this topic to Main, since it isn't a Rumour.
    Last edited by YankeeRose; 08.11.05 at 01:08 AM.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Last Online

11.14.12 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

...there is no joy in mudville....
    yeah.......i'm still here.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic - All of FW
    Last Online

@
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soon to be EX-fan
    ...there is no joy in mudville....
    Grow up. Ed and co have given their all. Once a fan always a fan. I hate people that change their colours.

Just insert Fair Warning into the CD player and that should make ya happy for a while.
    "i go over to my "ex's" place and plays really loud with wolfy....
    and it totally pisses her off...." Ed

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

do we really need another thread about this? I may be wrong, but it seems that someone starts a thread similar to this one every other day.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

12.23.05 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRose
    I also don't like hearing that Sammy had fun playing with other bands. He made his fans believe that he would be back with VH for much longer time.
    Well said Yankee, and great point.
    "So what's your story? Any tread left on the tires? Or is it like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?" Stewie Griffin

Detroit Red Wings

GP 34 Record: 22-9-3

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I can't figure out why a Sammy fan would even want him back in Van Halen. He does better work on his own now, and he releases a lot more of it.

You could write a book on all of the mistakes VH made last year, to say nothing of the mistakes that go back even further.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I tend to agree with Glenn. Sam's work over the past decade on his solo stuff shows a dedication and creativeness that he just isn't willing to devote to VH. If you like Sammy, why you'd want him back in VH is a mystery to me.

As for the rest... things change. Tastes change. To be a fan of the same things at 50 that you are a fan of at 20 would be rather frightening. Perhaps that explains a bit with regards to the band itself, eh?

Favorite VH Album

Dave - WACF, Sam - FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight, Dream is Over
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 09:23 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    I can't figure out why a Sammy fan would even want him back in Van Halen.
    Be it Dave, be it Sam, be it Gary, be it Patty frickin' Smyth, we just want some new Van Halen.
    If it's BROWN, flush it DOWN.

GO STEELERS!

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    I can't figure out why a Sammy fan would even want him back in Van Halen. He does better work on his own now, and he releases a lot more of it.

You could write a book on all of the mistakes VH made last year, to say nothing of the mistakes that go back even further.
    My favorite albums that I own are OU812, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, 5150 and Balance. Not Not For Sale and Red Voodoo. Not For Sale doesn't even have guitar solo's in some of the songs! The Waborita's aren't even the same league as Van Halen. When I hear a Sammy solo song that I like, I think that it would be even better with Eddie on guitar and Alex on drums! Does that help you figure it out Glenn?
    Last edited by YankeeRose; 08.10.05 at 02:43 PM.

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL
    As for the rest... things change. Tastes change. To be a fan of the same things at 50 that you are a fan of at 20 would be rather frightening. Perhaps that explains a bit with regards to the band itself, eh?
    It isn't frightening to like things that you liked at 20 when you are 50 to me. I will still like Van Halen when I am 50. My Dad liked The Who and Led Zeppelin when he was 20 and he still likes them in his 50's.

-- John Entwistle

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

So what if there are no EVH-like solos in Not 4 Sale, most of my most favourite songs don't have solos at all. I like Balance more than any Sammy's album but I also prefer every single tune of his post-VH stuff to 3 tunes from BOBW. He's better on his own, and if he doesn't want to colaborate with bros so be it. I don't want to listen to strained mediocre songs by people who don't want to work together

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL
    The fightening part is hanging out and talking about it with a bunch of kids 30 years younger... I'll let you know on the 50 part in about 3 years...
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.10.10 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zahzoo
    The fightening part is hanging out and talking about it with a bunch of kids 30 years younger... I'll let you know on the 50 part in about 3 years...
    *sigh* Zah it's scarey Zah, it's scarey.
    "Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
    --Mark Twain

There's no one as smart as a gambler at the track putting thier last $10.00 on the longest shot of the day.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRose
    My favorite albums that I own are OU812, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, 5150 and Balance. Not Not For Sale and Red Voodoo. Not For Sale doesn't even have guitar solo's in some of the songs! The Waborita's aren't even the same league as Van Halen. When I hear a Sammy solo song that I like, I think that it would be even better with Eddie on guitar and Alex on drums! Does that help you figure it out Glenn?
    Yes, the four Sammy VH albums are better than Sammy's solo albums. That's not the point.

Alone, Sammy has proven an ability to release good rock albums at a regular pace.

Back with VH, they couldn't even make what would amount to an ep, and the songs are all well below the standard of 86-95 VH. And a lot of that is on Sammy himself, because his lyrics were problem one with the quality of the BOBW songs.

You can't change the fact that 2005 Eddie is a bizarre alcoholic that has apparently become extremely difficult to deal with. So you'd rather have Sammy in VH, struggling just to come up with a handful of songs a year, or have Sammy solo where he's proven the ability to get in a studio and produce music, releasing it regardless of sales?

Confounds me! Sammy in VH virtually amounts to no Sammy at all!

As for the Wabos, of course they're not as talented, but they could play a gig tomorrow if they wanted. VH, you'd be lucky to get them to agree to a gig six months from now.