Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

Default van halen-the music,legend, a year ago today

this is a thread to be dedicated to all things van halen. no ribfest, no bullshit, just fuckin vh.

was a year ago today i saw vh for the first time in six years like may of you in phoenix, arizona. and to commemorate the day, i went out n bought the rhrn dvd to put on my fuckin new 52 inch sony. and man oh man, does it look and sound fuckin stellar!!! the killians tastes good too

man i have so much to say, but i thought this would be a cool time to say what ya love about the band, your memories, etc, what vh means to you, that kinda shit ya know peeps?

let's make this a fookin 5150 thread, somethin that will always be here to look back at and smile.

to all things van halen and the music behind it all

cheers to eddie, mikey, alex, sam, dave, and gary...and the best fans on the fuckin planet!

bottoms up!

Last edited by JMJ; 08.05.05 at 11:27 AM.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:17 AM
    Liked 1,474 Times in 899 Posts

What VH means to me???

A lot! Their music has inspired me in so many ways. From athletics to my mini-band with a friend, VH has always been there. Their music is almost like a drug. No matter how many times I've heard a song, if I'm flipping thru the stations and it is on, I stop right there and turn it up.

I've enjoyed going to all the concerts that I've attended (Hagar and Cherone). I haven't witnessed DLR with VH but that would truely complete the circle. The musicianship, the stage show, the fun, it's all part of the VH Experience.

I could go on and on but I don't want to take up so much space.

In conclusion, VH will always be with me thru my life.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

VH means a lot to me. It all started with my old girlfriend wanting to play Panama on my radio show. I was hooked. I went out and bought all of VH's stuff, up to 3. I wound up buying 3 in the special edition tin off ebay for like 15 bucks. No other band has made me but their entire catalogue within the span of a few months like Van Halen. I mean, VH is something that's a huge part of my life, as dumb as that may sound.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.22.16 @ 05:50 AM
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ
    was a year ago today i saw vh for the first time in six years like may of you in phoenix, arizona.
    And the following day Sammy and Mike missed their flight to Vegas.

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It was like the actualization of a total wet pipe dream when I got to see them for the first time in Anaheim, CA. And then the next night, it was an even bigger dream come true when I saw them front row! My favorite band, kicking ass like six feet in front of me!!
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

as much as i enjoy writing, i dont know if i could adequately express how VH touches me.
    Music has always touched me deep, but the sounds that come out of the hands of EVH and his equipment just seems to have the digital and analogue coding that matches up with the code of my soul. Ive been listening since the day the first album detonated on the world, way,way back in the time of knee-high white socks, cut-off shorts and bobo sneakers..then along comes this little alien from Ca..and it was all over.
    I admit, it took me some time to get my head around what i was hearing, but when i finally did, i was a goner, and have been since then..If they were around at my birth, i'd had them play "eruption"..And when they bury me, i'll have them play "D.O.A. "

actually, i want to think about that funeral durge..but something VH..!!
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Favorite VH Album

Balance-F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

01.06.08 @ 04:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

VH is the greatest rock band, period. They are in a class all by themselves. For me, I'm a huge Ed fan. IMO, no one can touch the genius of Ed. By this I mean the combination of lyrical songwriting, rythym chops, and solo chops. He's by far the best when you take all these categories into account, but what really impresses me the most is his songwriting ability. Also, he has amazing tone, killer feel, and is probably one of the most versitile players out there, while still sounding like no one else one the planet.

I started listening to VH shortly after FUCK had come out. Funny enough though it wasn't fuck I was listening too. I got into VH shortly after STevie ray vaughn had inspired me to want to learn guitar. The song that got me going on VH was Panama After I had been taking lessons for a few months, I saw the Panama video and it blew me away(the song anyway)
    I brought it in to my teacher and he had nothing but praises about Ed's playing. He kinda played it right away and I was mezmorized, like a kid in a candy store. I was hacking through parts at that point and for a while after but that's what set it off. It kinda snowballed after that. 1984 was the first album I bought, followed by fuck. Man, VH just blew me away everyday I listened to them. In a matter of months I had gotten their entire library and developed a love and appreciation for their music that to this day is still alive and kicking.
    Last edited by Van Murphenstein; 08.06.05 at 11:55 AM.

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Wow, a year ago I saw them live for the first time in 9 years. My family and I took a trip to San Jose to visit my grandma and see the concert. Hearing every VH song A-Z on the local rock station before the concert made it feel like the old days. I had 7th row, while my family was farther back in the cheap seats. Nothing could compare to that moment when the lights went out and I could hear Ed wailing away. I could see the guys getting ready and Sammy walked over and hugged Ed. Then, "Helllllooooooo baby!" and into Jump. That was a great night. And it wasn't even the best show I saw that year, the one in Portland in October was even better, and I was in the 2nd row.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

think i might have to go n buy some cabo tonight

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Van Halen is No. 1

What does Van Halen mean to me? Gee sounds like an essay on my favorite subject is callin!!

For me, it was when the lights went down after hearing Foreigner's Women, and then hearing Edward's wailin guitar and Mikeys' thunderin bass. Then the lights came up and they hit the stage runnin!! They had so much energy and Dave was all over the place. Edward's solo was long and unforgettable!!! This band has been a part of my life since 1979. Buying the new Circus and Creem mags for pics and interviews of these guys gave me something to look forward to. I recorded a few of their radio interviews which I still have. For me the defining albums from VH has gotta be the first four albums. Partic WACF. Man hearing Fools for the first time just blew me away!!! Uhh, the pics inside the album didn't hurt either!!

Seeing Edward and Val get married was great, their pics which I still have was so awesome. I thought they'd be together forever. She once said seeing Edward's pic on the WACF album were what caught her eye (and mine too I must say!!). I don't blame her one bit!!!

Watching the drama that has become somewhat a trademark for this band over the years, to me it's always been about Edward and his music. No matter who was singing, as long as Edward, Mikey and Big Al were there, I was there. I've got so many memories from their music, it's been a big part of my life for many years now. I'll probably be 70 and still listenin to 'em!!!

It's funny that someone whose name starts with Pert mentioned about wanting to have something VH playing at his (perish the thought!!) funeral. I've often thought the same thing. What would I want to hear and what would I want to share with my family when that day comes??? I still don't know, but I thought it was interesting that someone else had that same thought as I did.

Van Halen's always gonna be a part of my life no matter what. Until Edward passes on or I do. He's got so much talent, it's pretty amazing. I only hope that we hear some new music from him whenever he's ready to amaze us once again.

Wow this is a heavy subject, so I'm done now.
    Last edited by smithjc; 08.06.05 at 02:04 PM.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 1,599 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ
    think i might have to go n buy some cabo tonight

Boo ya! Will down a Cabo shooter at the poker table tonight in honor of Joe's Good Vibrations.