Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Should I buy the Charvel EVH?

Ok, I'm gonna let the forums help me make a decision. I have a buddy that works for a large music store who is going to get me a deal on a new EVH Charvel Art Series. I'm able to get one shipped to my door for the total cost of $2250.

Here's my dilemma. I have never played or seen one in person. I really want to get one (from a collector and VH fan stand point) I own an EBMM and Wolfgang, so I think it's only appropriate to complete my VH collection.

I have read a lot of comments on the Art Series but very few informative opinions on the quality and playability. I expect it is a fine instrument as all U.S. made Charvel's I have played are very nice. I would not really consider buying one for $2600 plus tax but $2250 flat price I feel is really a good deal and should not be passed up.

My major problem is deciding on the color. I don't care for the black and white version. I really like the Yellow and Black. I totally dig the Red and White. My friend's store has 2 Yellow and Black in stock and can get me one delivered in like 2 days. A Red and White one would be delivered in about 1 month or less. From a collector's stand point I think the Yellow/Black may be a better option since fewer are being sold. (this happened with the EBMM

What do you all think? Is $2250 a price I shouldn't pass on? Should I go for Yellow/Black or Red/White? I like the Red/White ones better since they are more 'traditional' VH but something about the Yellow/Black is calling out my name as well.

I've also got a friend who makes replica Kramers that are SWEET but at this point I want something that is certified EVH. I can always buy or make a replica.

HELP!!
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Last Online

01.26.10 @ 12:30 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

GET ONE ! THATS A GOOD PRICE!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.02.16 @ 08:31 AM
    Liked 8,009 Times in 3,353 Posts

The replicas are almost always better guitars man, it's not worth the price. It just isn't.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

11.26.16 @ 01:00 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i still cant justify 2200 bucks for a basswood body and bolt on neck.

id rather have a PRS or one of Rols tone guitars.

the evh art series seems like a striped up wolf special to me so i would pay 700 to 800 yes but not in the 2000 s

when you go into the 1000.00 range it better be a nice guitar and a workhorse too.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I feel the same as everyone else because I don't have any desire to collect any kind of guitar.

But thinking like you I would jump at the chance to buy a brand new EVH Charvel for $400.00 off the original price, you can't easily beat that for a used one, if you find one in Yellow (which I also think you should go with because it's the closest to what Ed actually played between the three, it's also the coolest looking, and it has a chance at being the most collectable of the 3 in the end as well) you should jump at it. If you don't you will always kick yourself in the ass for not pulling the trigger, especially when you find yourself finally caving in later on for a more expensive new one, or a less "mojo" used.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

You said you've got the other Ed endorsed guitars so I'd ask myself why the "Charvel?" It's highly doubtful these guitars will become collectible, so you'll lose money right away in potential resale. If you want to complete your Ed shrine, only you can put a price on that. If you're a player, are you really going onstage with an EVH striped out guitar?

I play, so there's no way I'd spend the dough...I'd buy 2 G&L's for 200x the quality...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

07.15.16 @ 11:31 PM
    Liked 286 Times in 141 Posts

Donor

I would probably use the money and buy something unique like a Telecaster and use the rest on a trip to Vegas!
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Last Online

12.01.16 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 125 Posts

Why do you care about the playability if you just want it "from a collector's standpoint"?

It's your money, so if you want it, get it.

I have played one, (Black & Yellow), and as someone also mentioned, it felt ALOT like my Ivory Wolfgang Special, but with no neck pickup, and a few stripes...I bought that (Peavey) for $550 w/case out the door last Christmas.

Don't buy into the hype. These guitars are not going to go up a whole lot in value. It still amazes me that people were paying over 10k for one that Ed played for one song on tour last year....

A Les Paul is going to hold it's value WAY better over the years....

But, to each his own.

My final word:
    I am a HUGE Randy Rhoads fan.....
    Even though I only really play Fender strats, and Wolfgang's, I dropped over $2000 on a USA made Jackson Rhoads V a few years back. They were making them with the polka dot design, and I had just gotten a new credit card with 0% interest for a year. I had to buy the thing.... After looking at it for a few days in my living room on it's stand, I realized I was never going to play it in public. I took it back to the store and returned it.

~Peace~
    Last edited by EJC; 08.04.05 at 08:22 AM.

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You might want to read this first: The Kramer 1984 Reissue vs the Charvel EVH Reissue
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I am going to hold off for now. $2250 is a great price but I'm going to hold off and try to get one used down the road. I don't think the market value will increase a whole lot (if any) and it's too much money to complete my Eddie Shrine. Besides, I would never play out with it, and I have plenty of guitars to keep me busy for years to come. It would cool to have, but just not to the point where I see it as a must buy.
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.11.06 @ 05:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I is not worth the money at all. You can build a beautiful Frankenstrat with top notch fixin's for less than a third of that. The paint is not my personal cup 'o tea anyway.

Last Online

11.28.16 @ 05:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it's funny that everybody that's replied saying that it's not "worth the money" doesn't have one. Go to the Jackson/Charvell site and read the review's from people that do own one and a BIG difference in opinion. Just remember that your great playing $500 replica is still worth $500....(not that there's anything wrong with that)

p.s. let's see how many feather's are ruffled over this opinion, and we all know what opinion's are like. ..........
    Last edited by Wolfgang Bob; 08.05.05 at 02:42 PM.
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............... Dirty Harry

Last Online

12.01.16 @ 03:45 PM
    Liked 382 Times in 189 Posts

I don't find it suprising at all that the people who say that the guitar is not worth the money don't have one. I simply think that is an illustration of their opinion that it is, in fact, not worth the money.

I also wouldn't be too shocked that somebody who just dropped $2500 on a guitar they wanted is giving it glowing reviews.

I'm sure that it's a great playing guitar, but no amount of EVH mojo is going to change what it really is. It is a basswood strat copy with one humbucker and no tone control with a nostalgic paint job.

From most posts that I've read, nobody really plans to play out with these guitars. People are buying them to either put them away their case as an investment, or to display them. Either way, playability is not a real big issue, unless you intend to live out some sick EVH fantasy in front of the mirror in your parents basement.

If the only intention is to display it, I've seen a hell-of-a lot more accurate replicas done by guys in their garages. They might not be as playable, but if your only going to look at it, what's the difference?
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Bob
    I think it's funny that everybody that's replied saying that it's not "worth the money" doesn't have one. Go to the Jackson/Charvell site and read the review's from people that do own one and a BIG difference in opinion. .

Yeah, alot of people like to justify their purchase by telling others how great it is... It's like back in '79 when Billy from down the street just got the new $30 X-Wing fighter toy for his birthday, he felt it neccesary to come to my yard and brag about how awesome it was, and even showed me how you could press R2-D2's head and the wings would expand....

I, in-turn brought out my nunchucks, that I made myself for about 5 bucks in my garage, and proceeded to have way more fun chasing Billy down the street with them than he ever got out of his X-wing fighter....

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Bob
    I think it's funny that everybody that's replied saying that it's not "worth the money" doesn't have one. Go to the Jackson/Charvell site and read the review's from people that do own one and a BIG difference in opinion.
    Yeah, the Jackson/Charvel site, I'm sure that's VERY objective. Do you really think a review that says: "Man, I can't believe I just dropped over $2,500 for a basswood strat with one pick up and a fancy paint job" would be listed on their website??

I'm not pickin on you man, but it's common sense that only "glowing" reviews are going to be shown on the companies own website. I'm pretty sure they have an agenda.

The whole "review" thing has gotten out of control anyway... If you go to Harmony-Central, and check out the 1st review of a new piece of equipment, you can tell it's usually been written by someone from the company.

If you need a $2600 guitar to be able to play well, you shouldn't be playing anyway. Like Ed himself said "it's just wood and metal". The sound comes from your hands, not an "EVH" sticker on the headstock.

If you put too much creedence in what people say on the internet, then you get stuck believing shit like this:

"this is my first time being on a message board...n this is my first post...
    Lately kids in my skool have been arguing about whos better Angus or Eddie?! They both r amazing but Angus is the better of the 2...n anyone can agree or disagree but thatz my opinion. Angus can play as fast as Eddie with one hand(literally)!! aight thatz my input 4 now"

I found that on a Washburn site.....Thought it was funny....