Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Middle of Tornado/earthquake alley.... so confused!!!
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

07.22.17 @ 01:18 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Default Who has been the greatest influence in your life and why?

I saw this on another forum. It turned out to be a really nice tribute to everyday people. Thought it would be neat to see some of the responses in a musically influenced forum!

There is always that one special person, in each and everyone's life that has a significant influence on their life. Who is that person and how did they influence you? It can be a friend, relative, celebrity, musician, pastor, ect......

Casting Shade
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

05.04.08 @ 05:05 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The greatest influence on me has definitely been my father. He grew up in the tenement slums in Brooklyn and was drafted into the army when he was 18. He was a professional musician playing for the Righteous Brothers and was the lead singer/guitar player of the 1910 Fruit Gum Co. He introduced me to all the different music that I listen to, and has done nothing but encourage my love for music in general. And he also taught me that you can achieve anything if you work hard enough. He worked 50 hrs per week at an auto parts factory and then went to school from 6 to 10pm five days a week for 3 years to earn his college degree, and worked his way up the ladder to be a business executive while at the same time pursuing his music career at the same time. My dad is the perfect example of a self-made man, but the main reason he's had such an influence on me is the fact that he has been a fantastic father. I feel like since my dad has experienced so much more than most people, just in terms of living in extremely poor conditions, and then in great ones, and everywhere between, has made him very wise and very accepting of all sorts of people. He doesn't take anything for granted, and has always taught me to work hard and set big goals, because he is a perfect example that dreams can come true. You just can't give up, and because of my dad's encouragement, I'm never going to.
    "Rehab is for Quitters"

"It is not possible to have life after death since death is the end of life." -OV

"What doesn’t kill you, will only make you pissed off!"
    -Alexi Laiho

"If I know I'm going crazy...I must not be insane." -Dave Mustaine

"Simpson, QUICK! Honk at that broad." -Mayor Quimby

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Very cool thread.

The list would last for a while...

1. James Cameron, Ridley Scott, Luc Besson, Peter Jackson - directors of my most favourite movies which made the most significant influence on me, and helped to make a decision of what I really want to achieve
    2. My Grandfather - who was the first one to inspire me to write, and is the brilliant storyteller
    3. J.R.R.Tolkien - The author of the first book I've read at the age of five, and who's saga was a great foundation for my writing
    4. Stephen King - Well, his 'Langoliers' is still my favourite book to date
    5. Boris Vallejo - IMO the best artist ever lived, it was him who made me approach the art from a very different side and progress the way I did
    6. Zakk Wylde - Last year I've first discovered his music, and I couldn't imagine living without it now. Brilliant songwriting and versatality from tornado-heavy riffs to most passionate emotional solos. The first person I would like to meet from this list
    7. Chester Bennington, Sebastian Bach, Jim Adkins - the guys I have the major influence on my voice from (or whom I'd like to sound like in other words ).
    8. Eddie Van Halen - I really love the guy and despite anything I have a huge respect towards him as a person and as a musician. One of my most favourite music is written by him, and it will remain on top for ever for me.
    Oh and Sammy Hagar as well. A guy with an attitude to life you'd like to have yourself
    9. Harrison Ford, Jean Reno, Tom Hanks - the actors I admire in any movie no matter if I like it overally or not
    10. Gary Oldman - Best actor ever, period
    11. Marie Fredriksson, Per Gessle - IMO among the best songwriters in every aspect, and their music is so much in my art and writing it's just creepy
    12. Yes, Avril Lavigne - no matter that I'm not crazy about her anymore (in fact I never was), my life wouldn't have changed the way it has withouth her influence. And I wouldn't be a person I am now, so despite anything - I'm thankful to her and I will always be
    13. And finally, whom I'd like to call my girlfriend, but I'll limit it to saying the person I've never been in love with as much and who's way beyond my feelings and stuff.. duh kinda yeah, just admiting to myself I've been dedicating everything to her for a long time now. Someone on here would know whom I'm talkin about. Hi Leo . You go to my number 14

And I have to mention my parents as well, who's been a great support to me through all the years.
    Last edited by Mishar McLeud; 08.03.05 at 11:53 AM.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too many!
    Last Online

03.12.07 @ 01:18 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

My father is and has been VERY influential in my life. I must say though that upon being blessed with my two beautiful kids that they have had the most profound influence upon me.
    They have changed my life, made me realize what unconditional love REALLY is and they are my motivation to get up and go each and every day in efforts to make their lives as sweet as can be. The way they look at me makes me melt EVERYTIME! Today was my little guy's first day of school(he's 3). When my wife and I left him he cried quite a bit. They went outside with him to let him get some air and hopefully to tire him out a bit. I told them that whoever took him out there better have sunscreen on because he is one tough and often times stubborn little fella. Our daughter is in the same school(she is 5) and she checked on him throughout the day. The teachers said she would come into the room and they would just hug and kiss each other and she kept saying 'It's okay Ty...sissy is here with you!'
    I sat here aching all day hoping that he is happy and getting adjusted. I just spoke with my wife and after the initial heartache...he sat down in his class, did his finger painting and then wouldn't shut up for the rest of the day! That's my boy!

I know this turned into a ramble...my overall point is:
    They are my foundation...my motivation...and my influence to be the best man and role model that I can!
    Last edited by BottomzUp; 08.03.05 at 12:24 PM.
    "Maybe I was the only one, but I really felt like we could surprise these guys. Obviously, that was not the case."

Brett Favre 09/10/06

http://www.myspace.com/lionzrule

Last Online

06.10.07 @ 04:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

As soon as I read this, I thought of my old neighbor. His name was Charles and he lived about two houses down from me.

Let me start with some background. I used to be crazy about dill pickles…I absolutely loved them! I still like them, but nothing like when I was a kid. Anyway, I was about 9 years old when I met Charles out in his front yard. He was sitting in a lawn chair eating pickles. The old fart actually had a jar of pickles and was eating them one at a time. Well, I was a very direct child, never shy, and I just walked right up to him and asked to have one. He laughed and tossed one over. He was very kind, would ask me questions, and really seemed to want to know about me. After that first day, I went by everyday. We would eat pickles and talk. This went on for a several years…not everyday mind you…eventually it would be every couple of days.

When I was a teenager, I still made time for Charles. By then our conversations had matured more and we talked about everything. He is where I got my fascination with WWII. He was an infantry man and told very good stories…he was masterful at it. He was a very old school guy and I learned a lot from him. I never had a dad, but Charles was the closest thing to one. He wasn’t married and he had no children. When I moved off to college, my mom would say, “Charles asks about you all the time. He says he sure misses your pickle talks.” He was a hell of a good man. I miss him a lot. He died my senior year in college.

So, I would say that Charles had and still has a big influence on me.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

This is a nice thread, great idea.

Well aside from the obvious, one Edward Van Halen, I have several influential people, and all for different things. But in the interest of keeping the post short, I'm just gonna name my main influences:

1. My mother and father.
    2. My grandparents from both sides.
    3. My aunts and uncles from both sides.
    4. My children.

I lost my mother when I was 7, my dad five years ago, my grandparents, aunts and uncles at varying times over the years. I now have three aunts left, and one uncle. I really miss them but they've all taught me a great deal about handling life's problems and spirituality. I do miss being a child. But my children keep me going too, they're pretty much all I live for now.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 PM
    Liked 732 Times in 296 Posts

1) Jesus Christ - He taught me that all things are possible through Faith.

2) The Incredible Hulk / The Six-Million Dollar Man - Watching these shows as a child, I became obsessed with having super-human strength.

3) Pink Floyd - Waters lyrics/Gilmours guitar spoke to me when I was only 4-years old.

4) Farrah Fawcett / Jacklyn Smith - My first true loves.

5) Shannon Hoon - I still remember hanging out with you at the Ramada after Woodstock '94. I'll see you October 21st. Peace, brother.....

6) Bruce Lee - Watching his movies, I'm inspired to still be in awesome physical shape at 32 years old.
    Last edited by EJC; 08.03.05 at 01:37 PM.

Casting Shade
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

05.04.08 @ 05:05 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod
    Ya know, I've been on that website before and my dad's pic isn't on it. He's no longer in that band, and even the story on it isn't really true. 1910 Fruit Gum Co. and Ohio Express were actually the same band, but they were all studio musicians who didn't want to tour. So my dad's agent got him a tryout for the auditions of the two groups as singer/gtr and the audition went so well that they gave him his choice of which group he wanted to front. He chose 1910 Fruit Gum Co. because he disliked less of their songs than Ohio Express songs. He hated most of the music he played in that group with the exception of a few tunes like Indian Giver and 1-2-3 Red Light, but he got to tour with that band for 3 years and made some good cash, and he still had a good time. It's funny how they still act like it was a real band.
    "Rehab is for Quitters"

"It is not possible to have life after death since death is the end of life." -OV

"What doesn’t kill you, will only make you pissed off!"
    -Alexi Laiho

"If I know I'm going crazy...I must not be insane." -Dave Mustaine

"Simpson, QUICK! Honk at that broad." -Mayor Quimby

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Default kinda long...once I started I couldn't stop

It would be VERY hard for me to say that there is ultimately ONE person who has had the greatest impact on my life because there have been several who've helped to make me the person I am today. One thing ALL these people have had in common, however, is how they demonstrated God's love to me in one way or another. That has helped shape my faith and my understanding of who God really is to me.

Tim Scott---I guess you could call him my "counselor/big brother" figure. I got to know him in jr. high in my youth group. He was in college and was an intern youth director one summer. He was wise beyond his young years and taught me so much about exploring my beliefs and how to find the answers. I feel like my faith journey really began after meeting him. We kept in touch throughout his college years and my high school years. Later, he was a professor at Texas A&M when I was a student. Our relationship changed from counselor/jr. high kid, to mentor/college student, to friends. He was a very positive influence on both me and my husband and will always be a close friend.

My mother---taught me about grace, strength, and dignity. She was diagnosed with liver cancer shortly before my sr. year of high school. Never once did I hear her complain about the cards she'd been dealt, never once did she show that she felt sorry for herself, and never once did she lose faith. She showed more strength and grace than anyone I've ever known. Oh...how I would've loved to have had more time with her but she left me with some of life's greatest lessons: love deeply and passionately, give more than you take, and always believe that you are very special---not because you are better but because you are a child of God.

My husband, Eddie---has taught me the importance of loyalty. You could never find a better or more loyal friend than him. He is probably the most intelligent person I've ever known (OK...he's a total brain) and his career is something that I can neither pronounce nor explain, however, you would never know it talking to him. There is never an ounce of egotism or pretense about him.

My dad---has taught me that a real man is not afraid to share his most innermost thoughts and feelings with those he loves. He is a man of strength and great character. He showed me the type of man I wanted to marry by being the most wonderful husband to my mother.

My sister---a great woman of faith (there's no better way to describe her)

My closest friends---each have had different impacts on my life. Some I've known for 20 years and some I've known for only a short time. Each one, however, has shown me what true friendship is all about. They each make me feel important in their world and have shown me how to be a better friend. We have each shared loss with one another, we have shared laughter, we have shared pain, but most of all we've shared our hearts and our souls. I'm a better friend and a better person for knowning them and I love them each deeply.
    Meet me in Cabo!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Good idea...

In no order, but the top spots...

Christ in more ways than I can imagine...

My wife, who has tolerated much BS lo these 11 years, and helped me be the dad and husband I want to be...

My high school history teacher, Barbara Diddle. She was one of those teachers that was unpopular and those were the ones I always liked the most...It was in her freshman history class that I actually decided to become a teacher and I was able to tell her that before she passed away a few years back...

My folks, for teaching me the power and consequences of choices and letting me choose my own way...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

according to the women in my past.... my dick
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

pretty much all of them
    Last Online

04.02.13 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hmm interesting question.

Id say every and anybody.

I learn a little something from everybody ranging from what to do and how to NOT do something.

I dont have anybody in my life that i really idolize though.
    What do you mean i dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

My parents, my Wife, children and Brothers. They know who they are to me and why. 'Nuff said!
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

my kids
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett