Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Pickup Advice Please

Friends,

I've recently purchased an Agile Les Paul knockoff. I have to tell all of you that this guitar is really very well crafted, and sounds very good. I can't believe that Gibson isn't suing them at this point.

My question to any of you is this...

It has a pretty hot set of ceramic humbuckers. I'd like a lower output pickup, so that I can turn up the amp a bit more. I'm playing an old Bassman, and it really starts to sound great just above 3, but my bandmates are going to throw me out of the room if I can't get the volume down. My guitar accomplice in the band has a Jaguar with a real low output set of single coils on it, he plugs in to the bassman, turns it up to 5 and dear god in heaven, it sounds amazing.

Summary - Low output humbuckers, preferably ceramic, but would consider alnico. (No maple top, so I think the Alnico's might mud up a bit.)

Thanks to all.
    You know the best tone I ever had was with that little bandmaster cranked to 10. Edward Van Halen, 1980, Guitar Player Magazine.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.22.09 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Low output buckers usually use alnico's not ceramic. Ceramics make up for the loss of brightness as the pickups' output goes up. Ceramic's in a low ouput bucker would prob be really bright, but you might dig it.

For the axe you describe I'd get an 9.7/A5 HighOrder bucker with dual adjustable poles(radius the poles to match the bridge/neck, VERY important). Jeff's bucker's are awesome and @ $55 shipped can't beat the price.

Jeff (HighOrder) <highorderpickups@cfl.rr.com>

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.22.09 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's his website:

www.highorderpickups.com

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

SD 59 or Seth Lover?
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by P1
    SD 59 or Seth Lover?
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.11.06 @ 05:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A couple of options come to mind. First, a Duncan '59 set would be a good cost effective solution and improve the Agile sound. However, they won't have less output than that Fender. The High Order pickups sound pretty tempting, but the same thing applies, it will still have more output than the Fender. I have to say that I have gone from Gibson 490, to a Full Shred, (hated it) to Gibson '57 Plus, to a Screamin" Demon, (too trebly) traded that in for a Pearly Gates Bridge (not enough bottom), that is coming out for a Custom 5 all in one guitar.

If you go with a very low output pickup, you will inevitably then want to buy a boost or distortion pedal to get your sound. The whole key to getting a good sound is getting the right amount of voltage into your amp.

Second, you may be at a point that you may wish to evaluate simply getting an attenuator such as a Hotplate or Mass. That way, you can crank your amp and cut the output back to where it is more conducive to you band environment. Perhaps springing for a Hotplate would be more cost effective long term. If you think your Bassman sounds good on 5, try 7 or 8 through the hotplate.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

The High Order pickup is a GREAT recommendation, especially since it sounds like you like your pickups bright (not harsh, but bright)

Otherwise, I'd recommend a DiMarzio Virtual Hot PAF, or on the pricey side, a Duncan '78.

I would NOT go with a totally stock PAF pickup. It's not bad at all, but it's also not what Ed used, except for on a couple of tracks.

Those pickups I mentioned are both about 9.1 to 9.5, which is legitimately thicker/hotter than a stock PAF. The DiMarzio has an Alnico 5, but simulates an A2, and the Duncan '78 flat-out has an A2 magnet.