Live Right Here, Right now
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround
    Last Online

11.19.10 @ 01:05 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Swedish Festival Sammy Review

From Rockunited.com

One of the line-ups that raised questions was SAMMY HAGAR. Some were totally against seing him, while some were huge fans. Hagar has pulled two shows in Sweden with Cabo Wabo earlier, but the fans who came to see the show seemed to be happy to be seeing him again. And as expected, Sammy pulled quite a show on Festival Stage, going "Waitress, may I have another cocktail please" along with the act, as he ordered a drink from the stage bar, which was one of the sets among others on stage. He had brought some beautiful women there as waitresses, who were claimed to be swedes. He'd also brought a bunch of fans to cheer on stage in the background bridge. Those people were the luckiest fans in Sweden Rock this year for sure. Earlier during the day while Hammerfall was playing, some of the band members were seen in the crowd, maybe they were just relaxing before the show or picking the fans for the show at the time. The fans might've been members of a fan club also. while Hagar was doing "Mas Tequila", they brought the biggest ever pinjata on stage in the shape of a bottle and Hagar hit it with his eyes shut, spreading loads of confetti everywhere. One of the disappointments must've been when he played a lame version of "Right Now", but his voice was in shape so it was a pleasant show with the good band, consisting of a female bassist Mona, David Lauser on drums and the guitarist Victor Johnson. Sammy also played some guitar. They also had a percussionist on stage, so the show offered a wider range of experiences than an average show would.

Setlist: Bad Motor Scooter (Montrose), Shaka Doobie (The Limit), There's Only One Way To Rock, Serious Juju, When The Hammer Falls, Give To Live, I Can't Drive 55, Right Now (Van Halen), Top Of The World (VH), Why Can't This Be Love (VH), Red, drum and percussion solos combined, Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin), Heavy Metal, Mas Tequila, Rainy Day Women 12 & 35 (Bob Dylan), Stand Up, High And Dry Again, Hands And Knees, Three Lock Box, Cabo Wabo (VH, accapella)

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo67
    From Rockunited.com

Setlist: Bad Motor Scooter (Montrose), Shaka Doobie (The Limit), There's Only One Way To Rock, Serious Juju, When The Hammer Falls, Give To Live, I Can't Drive 55, Right Now (Van Halen), Top Of The World (VH), Why Can't This Be Love (VH), Red, drum and percussion solos combined, Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin), Heavy Metal, Mas Tequila, Rainy Day Women 12 & 35 (Bob Dylan), Stand Up, High And Dry Again, Hands And Knees, Three Lock Box, Cabo Wabo (VH, accapella)
    Just curious about the VH songs. Does anyone know or has anyone ever heard Sammy talk about which VH songs he chooses to do? Does he pick ones that he personally likes or was more involved in writing, does he just do bigger ones he thinks the fans will like? With four albums worth of good material, just wondering how he goes about paring it down to four songs. Any thoughts?

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Sammy should play some other VH songs, but I'm sure they are restricted musical ability wise.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.21.08 @ 02:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

On Some of the Sam & Dave shows Sammy's set was over 50% VH material.

I expect they just play the ones that Sammy wants to play

They've done a whole bunch of VH tunes live, here are the ones I know of:

Best of Both Worlds
    Why Can't This Be Love
    Dreams
    Finish Waht You Started
    Black & Blue
    When it's Love
    Cabo Wabo
    Top Of The World
    Right Now
    Poundcake
    Runaround
    Amsterdam
    Seventh Seal
    Running With The Devil

I also seem to remember them doing Don't Tell Me a while ago, but I can't find anything to confim it - does anyone know for sure if they ever did that?

Have I missed anything off?

Dave
    Last edited by dave.thomas; 08.02.05 at 10:31 AM.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:03 AM
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

They played Up for Breakfast at the Tahoe shows earlier this year.

Favorite VH Album

The 6 pack....
    Last Online

02.19.13 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TOM_5150
    Sammy should play some other VH songs, but I'm sure they are restricted musical ability wise.
    Doubtful.

DLR7884
    Hagar plays the VH songs he likes the most....just like DLR.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dave.thomas
    They've done a whole bunch of VH tunes live
    Yeah. It was neat to see Sam do stuff like "5150" and FWYS on the Sam & Dave tour, because we'll probably never see those songs again at a VH concert (if VH ever tours again). Same goes for Dave's setlist, which had stuff like "Atomic Punk" and "Everybody Wants Some!!"

Last Online

07.11.17 @ 08:13 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kowski
    Yeah. It was neat to see Sam do stuff like "5150" and FWYS on the Sam & Dave tour, because we'll probably never see those songs again at a VH concert (if VH ever tours again). Same goes for Dave's setlist, which had stuff like "Atomic Punk" and "Everybody Wants Some!!"
    I can't believe Sam played 'Stand Up' It's very ambitious of him to cover a song from Skyscraper!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.02.12 @ 03:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You know, I can't believe that Sammy plays "Why Can't this Be Love" when he plays solo too. My God, if I never hear that song live again it'll be too soon. What is the attraction for Sammy and Van Halen to play that song in every concert they've had since 1986? Same goes for "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love." I could kind of understand that being a Dave-era song that Sammy was willing to sing, but they played it almost every show with Gary, too. I don't understand why they always play these standards, but even worse, Sammy is playing them again less than a year later. I guess he throws in Cabo Wabo (which you know VH will never do again), but that's just part of the tequila show. I loved Sammy in VH back in the day, but I'm really bored with him now. Not that VH is very entertaining at the moment, but Sammy seems to have a schtick now, and that's all you can expect to get out of him. Same problem with Dave, I guess. Oh well, I guess that's what happens after 30-ish years in the business by all parties involved....they just start phoning it in.
    "People say that life is a cesspool of darkness and dispair. Well we of Van Halen are sailing through it in a yacht!"--David Lee Roth

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.21.08 @ 02:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's simple...both Sammy and VH play what the people want to hear. Why Can't This Be Love, Ain't Talkin' Bout Love, Jump, Right Now etc were all hits and that's what the concert going public want to hear.

The small minority of us die hards who would love to hear Judgement Day, Good Enough, Mine All Mine, etc, etc...are just that - the minority....we are few and far between these days I'm afriad...

Sad but true...

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

He played "When The Hammer Falls"?????

I wanna hear that one live, godfuckit!
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 1,462 Times in 898 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Halen1984
    You know, I can't believe that Sammy plays "Why Can't this Be Love" when he plays solo too. My God, if I never hear that song live again it'll be too soon. What is the attraction for Sammy and Van Halen to play that song in every concert they've had since 1986? Same goes for "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love." I could kind of understand that being a Dave-era song that Sammy was willing to sing, but they played it almost every show with Gary, too. I don't understand why they always play these standards, but even worse, Sammy is playing them again less than a year later. I guess he throws in Cabo Wabo (which you know VH will never do again), but that's just part of the tequila show. I loved Sammy in VH back in the day, but I'm really bored with him now. Not that VH is very entertaining at the moment, but Sammy seems to have a schtick now, and that's all you can expect to get out of him. Same problem with Dave, I guess. Oh well, I guess that's what happens after 30-ish years in the business by all parties involved....they just start phoning it in.
    I understand what you are saying even though I think that Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love should ALWAYS be played. Sorry but I'm biased because it's my favorite song by them. I do agree that there are plenty of other songs in their catalog that we would all love to hear.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by dave.thomas
    It's simple...both Sammy and VH play what the people want to hear. Why Can't This Be Love, Ain't Talkin' Bout Love, Jump, Right Now etc were all hits and that's what the concert going public want to hear.

The small minority of us die hards who would love to hear Judgement Day, Good Enough, Mine All Mine, etc, etc...are just that - the minority....we are few and far between these days I'm afriad...

Sad but true...
    I know he's gonna play hits, but VH had a dozen or so "hits" while Sammy was in the band. Just wondering why he plays WCTBL,Right Now, and TOTW as opposed to say Dreams, BOBW, When It's Love, FWYS, Poundcake, Runaround, CSLY, etc. Just wondering if he's ever on record stating a preference for playing certain ones, or if he had more to do with writing them, or anything like that. Maybe he just constantly rotates them? Just seems pretty hard to me to whittle down the Hagar era to four songs.

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

What were they referring to in the review when they said it was a lame version of "Right Now"?
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.22.16 @ 05:50 AM
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by axebrian
    What were they referring to in the review when they said it was a lame version of "Right Now"?
    It's "Right Now" like you've never heard it before. Kinda acoustic, but more just toned down.