Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Once
    Last Online

12.17.12 @ 06:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Altering My Strat

Hey there, everyone. Have some questions for all of you guitar experts. I was thinking of doing some major alterations to my strat: an Alncio II in the bridge, a '59 Seymour Duncan in the neck (the spacings in the body are adequate for humbuckers), replacing the 5-way switch with a 3-way, and using only one tone knob for both pickups. Is any of this possible? My biggest concern was whether the poles would line up with the string spacings.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

Not only possible, but quite simple. Pole pieces should line up just fine. There are standard, and F-spaced pickups. If you have a standard bridge, just get the standard spaced pickups.

I've never been a big fan of tone knobs. I think they rob more tone than they change. If it were me, I'd just have two volume knobs, one for each pickup, and eliminate the switch all together.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

01.03.07 @ 12:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos
    I've never been a big fan of tone knobs. I think they rob more tone than they change. If it were me, I'd just have two volume knobs, one for each pickup, and eliminate the switch all together.

Agreed.

Like he said, ditch the tone(s) and have a volume for each pickup.
    (.)(.)

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Almost all good points. Two separate volume knobs are a good idea, but don't eliminate the switch. You can do a lot more with a switch, unless you just want one sound, and adjusting separate volumes won't do that. A switch will enable you to blend better.
    Also, tone knobs do not take anything away from the sound at all if configured properly. The big problem is that people don't have a fuckin clue as to what tone caps to use so they figure it's all the same and blame the tone control. Different types of caps as well as value make a huge difference in tone, and the right tone caps can give you a soft sound like a standard rolled off tone(which I don't care for either) or different types of quack, or even a type of wah sound that's my favorite. After experimenting with tone caps for the last year or so. I can get my strat to sound like a wah just by rolling off my tone. It sounds great and adds another dimension to my sound while I'm playing.
    Don't limit yourself to one sound just cause Ed says he doesn't like tone knobs. If you just want to follow blindly then stripe everything you own, suck back 4 bottles of thunderbird and away you go. You won't have to worry about tone cause you'll only be playing the same solo over and over, and tone will be the last thing on your mind.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Once
    Last Online

12.17.12 @ 06:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, guys. I will probably keep a tone knob only because I hope to get back into playing some jazz music in addition to rock. And there are times with the jazz genre when a tone knob is valuable. So I was hoping to connect both pickups to one tone knob and put some humbuckers in there because single coils drive me fucking crazy. I was going to buy a Les Paul, but after buying a house and a truck I am fucking broke. So I will mess with my Strat. No stripes, no EVH imitations, just a different sounding guitar that fits my tastes.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

I would have tone knobs on a regular Strat with single coils. I've just found that, for myself at least, I usually end up turning my tone knobs all the way up and leaving them there on any humbucker guitars I've ever played. I've never experimented with the caps on the tone knobs, but I may start. I have removed tone knobs from guitars I've owned, and I always thought the tone was better afterward, but they were probably crappy tone caps come to think of it.

I don't own, nor have I striped any guitars, but I have been known to suck back 4 bottles of Thunderbird Tribb.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.22.09 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Convert the tone pot to no load. At 10 it'll be out of the circuit, 9-1 it functions like a normal tone pot.