Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

04.01.06 @ 07:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Adios...

Well linkers, I don’t know about you, but it is time to say good-bye. I know, I know, don’t every applaud at once! This is my last post here at VH Links so there are some things I’d like to say and some people I’d like to acknowledge.

First and foremost, Brett, outstanding job on the site. I’ve been here since ’99 and although you and I have had it out several times, I respect what you’ve done with the site and how you have brought the VH masses together to celebrate, argue, debate, and speculate about one of the greatest bands in rock n roll history. I really mean that.

To you die hard Dave, Sammy, and Gary (just being fair here) fans, all of the eras of VH have been great and each has provided us with something great to look back on. There is no winner in this perpetual fight over who’s the best singer. Everyone loves VH for one reason or another and singers are only part of it. I’ve had great times during all of it and it marked different periods in my life. Stop fighting about it already for God’s sake.

To you EVH apologists… you are fighting the fight that I fought several years ago for Eddie. After the Sammy break-up and Dave fiasco of ’96 I was first in line to say that Ed was innocent and that he was dealing with two ego maniacs who were jealous of his incredible talent. To me, Ed did no wrong and that was that. You guys are brave and your loyalty is commendable. However, I don’t fight that fight anymore and it really leads into the whole reason for my departure from the links.

For the last several weeks (months), we have been given some information from members of the band that things were not cupcakes and lollipops on the reunion tour last year. Some of these interviews from Ed, Sam, and Mike have revealed a lot about a group of guys that got together and tried to make it work again. Sadly though, it didn’t.

After I saw VH in St. Louis last year, I walked away very disturbed by what I saw. The band that I had seen before live and in concert videos no longer existed. Regardless of how you want to lay it out, Eddie was incapable of playing his instrument, which he has been crowned king of. He was just horrible. Blame it on the booze if you like, but he is almost 50 years old. A little responsibility to your “paying” fans would have been nice. It is what most professionals do. The band was also fighting very badly by this time as reported to the links by me from information that I had gotten from a very close friend in the industry. A lot of people were saying the same thing. At that time, I was poo-poohed and told to go away because unless anything was said by the band, then it was not to be believed. Fine…

Now along come Sammy and Mike and start telling the world about what went on last year and everyone is having a shit fit. “Mike and Sammy should shut there mouths”, “they have no right”, “they are nothing without Eddie” etc. etc” My question is why? Why should they shut up? Why does everyone fail to see what all of this leads to? When the truth of the situation comes out and all the evidence points in the same direction???…come on people.

You can call Sammy a sell out all you want, but my guess is when he agreed to the huge ticket prices, he also expected a lot more out of Eddie and how the performances would be. Sammy loves music. Sammy doesn’t need Eddie and Eddie doesn’t need Sammy, so everything is fine. Sammy is one hell of a businessman who is staying relevant in rock music any way that he can. If Mike goes along, fine by me.

What is disappointing is that Eddie is becoming irrelevant by his obvious self destructive behavior. A behavior that he seems to be unwilling or incapable of changing. Look, he has come close to death, lost his wife, lost the band(as we know it right now), many of the relationships that he had, and by many accounts is heading back towards death with continuing failing health because of his inability to quit drinking and smoking. I’ve read some of you in here say, “it’s his life”, “we know he’s a mess”, “who are we to judge” etc. etc. Sorry, but that shit is not good enough. I cannot stand watching my “hero” do this to himself, I don’t know about all of you. Doesn’t it just kill you to see this happen to Eddie? At some point you gotta’ be held accountable for your behavior.

Sorry if this is too deep for some of you. It goes beyond being a “fan” folks… I’m human. The man truly seems to be miserable, for what reason, I don’t know. He has achieved more than most of us could in 10 lifetimes. He has influenced a whole planet to play the guitar and influenced them to become something extraordinary. He has seen and played to the world. Most importantly, he has a son and brother who need him. Why be miserable? I’m not the only one who is bothered by this, but there seems to be this constant barrage of insults for anyone who tries talking about this or takes what Sammy or Mike says seriously. Some of you are just into the music and don’t worry about the human stuff… whatever.

Regardless, it is frustrating and excessively time consuming to defend yourself or your ideas to the elitists of the links. The arguments never get anywhere and the insults are childish. (C’mon, you guys know who you are!) But keep it up, please. The VH world needs you to guide them!! (Seriously though, how do you guys do anything else with your lives with all of those posts?)

Me… I’ve got 5 great kids and a great wife and it’s time to move away from this like many others have in the last year or so. Time to put my energy into other things and stop worrying/wondering when Eddie is going to snap out of it and be what he used to be. Most of you know the Ed I’m talking about I suspect. He was a great inspiration and I miss him like hell… but I don’t think he’s comin’ back.

Good luck to everyone!

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible to name only one
    Last Online

01.08.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Alrighty then, see ya 'round there feller.

Last Online

02.19.06 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well done sir.

Extremly well said and good luck with all that!!!
    I've been to Rome,Dallas,Tx.=\//-/=UNION`04 AND BEYOND!

Favorite VH Album

BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being / SGMAD
    Last Online

07.29.15 @ 09:07 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

you will be back..... ha ha ha ha (dracula voice)
    Van Halen Is: Edward Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, Michael Anthony, Sammy Hagar, David Lee Roth, Gary Cherone

They will be back.....

Last Online

02.10.12 @ 07:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How sad. He is right, you know. I also feel the same way. I was the worlds biggest VH fan (or so i thought, lol) growing up. i had the LPs, then the tapes, then the CDs, the t-Shirts, the VHS tapes, and would spend hours taping VH snippets and videos off of MTV. The feeling of joy when VH locked in was indescribable. When Sammy came along, I was apprehensive, but 5150 blew me away. I loved everything they did, and then some.

I truly beleive VH died that day in 96, when the split with Sammy was announced.

Still, I troopered on, even seeing the III tour one and a quarter times. i was at the Mansfield, MA show where Gary short-circuited, and we all had to come back again the next night. This, I think, was Eddie's last act of kindness, as the band could have legally said "Too bad", and gone off to the next show.

But something was missing, and my second passion, RUSH, filled the void. Talk about a band that cares for their fans. Three and a half hour shows, No squabbling, no attitudes, and no bullshit.

Edward Van Halen still makes music, But "Eddie" is gone.

R.I.P Eddie....

R.I.P Van Halen.
    "Alex-bocephous-Bo-Halen AAOOUGHH!!"

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

As much as I'd love to hear of VH doing something new, or that Ed and Sam are friends or whatever, thats not the reason I come here. Ed isn't dead yet, and to be honest, even if he was it wouldn't make me any less of a fan, or this board less relevant. Fans of Elvis go to Elvis boards, fans of James Dean go to their boards. Van Halen music will always be a part of my life and to be amongst others who understand that, is the best part for me.
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.21.17 @ 07:13 AM
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BAM66
    Well linkers, I don’t know about you, but it is time to say good-bye. I know, I know, don’t every applaud at once! This is my last post here at VH Links so there are some things I’d like to say and some people I’d like to acknowledge.

First and foremost, Brett, outstanding job on the site. I’ve been here since ’99 and although you and I have had it out several times, I respect what you’ve done with the site and how you have brought the VH masses together to celebrate, argue, debate, and speculate about one of the greatest bands in rock n roll history. I really mean that.

To you die hard Dave, Sammy, and Gary (just being fair here) fans, all of the eras of VH have been great and each has provided us with something great to look back on. There is no winner in this perpetual fight over who’s the best singer. Everyone loves VH for one reason or another and singers are only part of it. I’ve had great times during all of it and it marked different periods in my life. Stop fighting about it already for God’s sake.

To you EVH apologists… you are fighting the fight that I fought several years ago for Eddie. After the Sammy break-up and Dave fiasco of ’96 I was first in line to say that Ed was innocent and that he was dealing with two ego maniacs who were jealous of his incredible talent. To me, Ed did no wrong and that was that. You guys are brave and your loyalty is commendable. However, I don’t fight that fight anymore and it really leads into the whole reason for my departure from the links.

For the last several weeks (months), we have been given some information from members of the band that things were not cupcakes and lollipops on the reunion tour last year. Some of these interviews from Ed, Sam, and Mike have revealed a lot about a group of guys that got together and tried to make it work again. Sadly though, it didn’t.

After I saw VH in St. Louis last year, I walked away very disturbed by what I saw. The band that I had seen before live and in concert videos no longer existed. Regardless of how you want to lay it out, Eddie was incapable of playing his instrument, which he has been crowned king of. He was just horrible. Blame it on the booze if you like, but he is almost 50 years old. A little responsibility to your “paying” fans would have been nice. It is what most professionals do. The band was also fighting very badly by this time as reported to the links by me from information that I had gotten from a very close friend in the industry. A lot of people were saying the same thing. At that time, I was poo-poohed and told to go away because unless anything was said by the band, then it was not to be believed. Fine…

Now along come Sammy and Mike and start telling the world about what went on last year and everyone is having a shit fit. “Mike and Sammy should shut there mouths”, “they have no right”, “they are nothing without Eddie” etc. etc” My question is why? Why should they shut up? Why does everyone fail to see what all of this leads to? When the truth of the situation comes out and all the evidence points in the same direction???…come on people.

You can call Sammy a sell out all you want, but my guess is when he agreed to the huge ticket prices, he also expected a lot more out of Eddie and how the performances would be. Sammy loves music. Sammy doesn’t need Eddie and Eddie doesn’t need Sammy, so everything is fine. Sammy is one hell of a businessman who is staying relevant in rock music any way that he can. If Mike goes along, fine by me.

What is disappointing is that Eddie is becoming irrelevant by his obvious self destructive behavior. A behavior that he seems to be unwilling or incapable of changing. Look, he has come close to death, lost his wife, lost the band(as we know it right now), many of the relationships that he had, and by many accounts is heading back towards death with continuing failing health because of his inability to quit drinking and smoking. I’ve read some of you in here say, “it’s his life”, “we know he’s a mess”, “who are we to judge” etc. etc. Sorry, but that shit is not good enough. I cannot stand watching my “hero” do this to himself, I don’t know about all of you. Doesn’t it just kill you to see this happen to Eddie? At some point you gotta’ be held accountable for your behavior.

Sorry if this is too deep for some of you. It goes beyond being a “fan” folks… I’m human. The man truly seems to be miserable, for what reason, I don’t know. He has achieved more than most of us could in 10 lifetimes. He has influenced a whole planet to play the guitar and influenced them to become something extraordinary. He has seen and played to the world. Most importantly, he has a son and brother who need him. Why be miserable? I’m not the only one who is bothered by this, but there seems to be this constant barrage of insults for anyone who tries talking about this or takes what Sammy or Mike says seriously. Some of you are just into the music and don’t worry about the human stuff… whatever.

Regardless, it is frustrating and excessively time consuming to defend yourself or your ideas to the elitists of the links. The arguments never get anywhere and the insults are childish. (C’mon, you guys know who you are!) But keep it up, please. The VH world needs you to guide them!! (Seriously though, how do you guys do anything else with your lives with all of those posts?)

Me… I’ve got 5 great kids and a great wife and it’s time to move away from this like many others have in the last year or so. Time to put my energy into other things and stop worrying/wondering when Eddie is going to snap out of it and be what he used to be. Most of you know the Ed I’m talking about I suspect. He was a great inspiration and I miss him like hell… but I don’t think he’s comin’ back.

Good luck to everyone!
    You are a stronger man than me. I have thought many times over the years (especially after the 96' fiasco) that I would just quit caring. However, VH has a grip on me that won't let go, and I just refuse to lose faith that something great is indeed around the corner once again.

The power of EVH I guess...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Happy Trails"
    Last Online

11.17.06 @ 05:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thought you stated your case rather well, myself. I know what it's like to post an opinion that runs contrary to someone else's and have them admonish you with childish crap. And you made some good points. I still intend to post here, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for another VH reunion. If it happens, it happens. It if doesn't...life goes on anyway.

And if you ever do decide to make a return...by all means, do so. Most of us will still be here.

Last Online

09.09.05 @ 12:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

you know i hate to admit it but i think he's right on the money with his statements! i miss the guys! its hard to put into words how i feel about this band. all i can say is that i will always hope to see another record and tour. but i dont really think it will ever be like it once was. but i'm not going anywhere because i always hope to come home from work and see something on here about a new record and or tour. but i will probably be seeing something about edwards death before i see anything about a record or tour! sure i will always have their music to listen to, but its not enough. i always look foreward to their next record. its like im an addict that needs another fix! i will always love van halen but honestly i think their gone!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Although I don't agree with most of your post, good luck down the road. You need to realize Eddie isn't happy with the people he surrounded himself with last year and you'll see a rejuvenated Ed in the near future.

Favorite VH Album

BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being / SGMAD
    Last Online

07.29.15 @ 09:07 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

imagine giving up on this band after being so into them for all these years, then one day someone comes up to you, tells you whats going on with the band, what eds up to, what their new songs sound like etc.........that would drive me crazy
    Van Halen Is: Edward Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, Michael Anthony, Sammy Hagar, David Lee Roth, Gary Cherone

They will be back.....

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:11 PM
    Liked 11,600 Times in 4,945 Posts

BAM, ok man, take care.

But let's put this thread in the right place, and Main ain't it bro.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

For the record: I will never give up hope on a return of VH in any form. I will never stop listening to VH and I will always think that Eddie is the greatest Rock and Roll guitar player ever.
    I also think that when people quit here, they still listen to VH and come back here eventually, so I wish BAM a farewell for now. Take care dude!
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I've learned that in the world of Van Halen, nothing makes sense; and that's the magic. I have always expected Eddie to do a solo record, and so far he hasn't done it. I don't think he lacks confidence, I just think he's never had the vision. I hope the latest dramatic comments from Sammy spur Eddie on to take some time out to show us his solo brilliance.

Van Halen has always proved to be a band who doesn't conform to predictions. I think Eddie is still there, somewhere, and will surprise the die hard fans with some incredible material before the 'fat lady sings'.

Eddie will land on his feet one day, and tell us he has no memory of the past 10 years - and neither will we as we jam our air guitars to those amazing riffs he has lying on the floor in that studio. Make it happen Ed.

Sammy can't really be blamed for not being comfortable. Sure, we hate the thought that the dream is over, but this last year proved that in the right circumstance the doors open and we get to rock again.

Eddie, please please please do whatever you do for your own cause, and know that we love you.

I am also proof that us fans never leave. We go on, and do other stuff for awhile, but we never forget the fun we had, and are quick to try and recapture it when we think it could happen again. If we all had a time machine, I suppose we would go back to that magic moment when Van halen music created an attitude where we were on top of the world as a generation. Just because we've all aged a little, or Van Halen breaks up for awhile, or whatever doesn't erase all the sex, drugs, or rock and roll that burned indullebly upon our brains. Our generation changed the world in a way, the hunted became the hunter, Waldo got laid, and that hot teacher got what she wanted.

Van Halen was the band that crossed over the culture of the jocks and the stoners, and will never become irrelevant.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Even if they do come back - with ANY lead singer - it is almost certain that they will never be the same Van Halen any of us love and adore. We can't change it, and at this point, even I can accept it. I don't like it but it's not our choice. I'm just glad I was alive at this point in time to experience the live version of every incarnation of Van Halen there ever was. No one can ever take that away from me and I'm a better person for it.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman