Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Middle of Tornado/earthquake alley.... so confused!!!
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

07.22.17 @ 01:18 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Default Sports Oddest Superstitions

Saw this on Foxsports... thought it was pretty interesting. Anyone hear of any other odd superstitions, or have any yourself?

Putting the 'super' in superstitions
    Elliott Kalb / FOXSports.com

Some athletes credit hard work for their success. Some admittedly get lucky.

But others are superstitious, and believe in doing things a certain way. Here are some of the more quirky superstitions in sports history.

*Joe Louis, the great heavyweight champion, believed that he would lose a fight for sure if his right glove was put on and tied before the left one.

Joe Louis was like any every fighter - he put his gloves on one hand at a time. (Allsport UK/ALLSPORT / Getty Images)

*Hall of Fame baseball player Kiki Cuyler did not play at all in the 1927 World Series because manager Donnie Bush wanted Cuyler to play center field and bat second in the lineup. Cuyler was extremely superstitious about batting in the third spot. Bush benched him, saying Cuyler would not play in the Series unless he would agree to bat second in the order and publicly say he liked it. The Pirates lost the World Series in four straight games to the Yankees.

*Lou Gehrig had superstitions. He and his mother used to fish for eels, and his mother would pickle them. Gehrig believed eating the eels helped his batting. This was the same Hall of Famer who, according to legend, heard a story early in the 1929 season that it was going to be a great year for left-handed pitchers and a terrible year for left-handed batters. He believed it or let it get into his head and went from hitting .374 in 1928 to .300 in 1929. The next year, he batted .370.

*There are tons of baseball stories about old-timers' superstitions. For example, Joe DiMaggio would never run from the outfield to the dugout without touching second base.

*Satchel Paige was convinced that an axle-grease rubdown of his arm allowed him to pitch nine innings every day.

*They called Lou Skizas, a major-league outfielder in the late '50s with New York and Kansas City, "The Nervous Greek." He used to rub an Orthodox medal in his back pocket between pitches.

*Tito Fuentes, a second baseman in the '60s for San Francisco, paid a visit to a witch doctor to cure a shoulder ailment.

*Mike Cuellar, the Orioles pitcher from the early '70s, insisted that the baseball be sitting on the mound when he went out to pitch. He refused to accept it from a player or umpire.

*Former Dodger third baseman Ron Cey used to wear a Superman T-shirt under his uniform.

*Wade Boggs was well known for his superstitions. He ate three chicken meals a day, which started when he had a good week in 1977 in the minor leagues. He always had chicken at exactly 2:00. He had to come out for batting practice at 5:17. And the "Chicken Man" ran sprints for every night game at 7:17.

*Nomar Garciaparra is another player with obsessive routine. He gets dressed the same way every day, makes sure to step on each dugout step with both feet, and tugs at his batting gloves and taps his toes during each at-bat.

*Pitcher Turk Wendell had to brush his teeth between every inning. He also had to eat four pieces of licorice every inning.

*Patrick Roy admitted to talking to his goalposts. Another hockey player, Bruce Gardiner, dipped his hockey stick in the toilet before going out to play. The late hockey goalie Pelle Lindbergh had some unusual superstitions. Between periods, he wouldn't drink anything but a Swedish beverage called Pripps and would only take a sip if there were exactly two ice cubes in the cup. A particular team trainer, by the way, could only deliver that cup to him.

*Golfer Paul Azinger marks his ball with a penny, always heads up, and always with Lincoln looking at the hole. Jack Nicklaus always carries three coins in one pocket. And Mark Wiebe only used coins minted in the '60s, because that's what he intended to score.

*When Goran Ivanisevic won Wimbledon in 2001, he made the ball boys and ball girls retrieve the same ball every time he served an ace, while refusing to use balls which he had just used to serve a fault. Ivanisevic would always try to be the second person to get up from his chair on the changeover and would try to never step on any of the lines.

*Michael Jordan had to wear his lucky blue University of North Carolina shorts under his Bulls or Wizards uniform.

*Bill Parcells was one of the most superstitious people in football that I've come across. He wouldn't pick up pennies unless they were heads up. One year the Jets won the same week that he went to the dentist. Although he was finished with the appointment, the next week he still went to the dentist. He didn't have any work done, just stayed there enough time to shoot the breeze and then left, all because his team had won.

*And I have to credit my friend, Charlie Jones, the great announcer, for this item. He collected a quote from Rick Rice, a journeyman minor-league pitcher, circa 1920. Rice supposedly said, "I always eat frogs' legs before I pitch. They make my fastball jump."
    http://www.myspace.com/texaschic22
    It's private.. but if you at least say who you are from VH links I will add ya!

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Perfect for the play ball forum.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad
    Perfect for the play ball forum.
    Ok move it.... didn't know exactly where to put it since I don't go to that forum.
    http://www.myspace.com/texaschic22
    It's private.. but if you at least say who you are from VH links I will add ya!

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Poundcake
    Ok move it.... didn't know exactly where to put it since I don't go to that forum.
    Um, yes dear, it actually already is moved. You're in that forum now.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Welcome T.P.!! You a Brewers fan?
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

That Nomar routine needs to be amended. He taps his shoes and adjusts his batting gloves between every PITCH.

It can get annoying when he has a long at bat!
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by BREW CREW
    Welcome T.P.!! You a Brewers fan?
    Brewers fan.... is that football?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

Brewers fan.... is that football?
    LOL! No, it is baseball....my wife needs to teach you about sports dear.
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by BREW CREW
    LOL! No, it is baseball....my wife needs to teach you about sports dear.
    Told ya I am not a sports girl.. Hey I did watch ESPN2 last night. They had the world champ eating competition in Vegas! It was awesome! Really would like to know though..... if you are into sports, do you have any type of ritual/superstition? I know a friend of mine had to wear the same exact pair of socks during her game.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

Told ya I am not a sports girl.. Hey I did watch ESPN2 last night. They had the world champ eating competition in Vegas! It was awesome! Really would like to know though..... if you are into sports, do you have any type of ritual/superstition? I know a friend of mine had to wear the same exact pair of socks during her game.
    I rarely talk about an upcoming game of my favorite sports team....it seems if I talk my team up, they lose....and if I do not say much they win. Sooooo: LOL! It's true! I jinx when I talk trash.
    Just go for it!