Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Payola Shocker: J-Lo Hits, Others Were 'Bought' by Sony

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,163537,00.html

I always say when people ask me that the so-called vipers of the movie business would not last a day in the record business. Now Eliot Spitzer's office has decided to prove the point.

"Please be advised that in this week's Jennifer Lopez Top 40 Spin Increase of 236 we bought 63 spins at a cost of $3,600."

"Please be advised that in this week's Good Charlotte Top 40 Spin Increase of 61 we bought approximately 250 spins at a cost of $17K …"

Ironically, it didn't help, as the memo notes that the company actually lost spins — or plays of the record — even though they laid out money for them.

See above: The internal memos from Sony Music, revealed today in the New York state attorney general's investigation of payola at the company, will be mind blowing to those who are not so jaded to think records are played on the radio because they're good. We've all known for a long time that contemporary pop music stinks. We hear "hits" on the radio and wonder, "How can this be?"

Now we know. And memos from both Sony's Columbia and Epic Records senior vice presidents of promotions circa 2002-2003 — whose names are redacted in the reports but are well known in the industry — spell out who to pay and what to pay them in order to get the company's records on the air.

From Epic, home of J-Lo, a memo from Nov. 12, 2002, a "rate" card that shows radio stations in the Top 23 markets will receive $1000, Markets 23-100 get $800, lower markets $500. "If a record receives less than 75 spins at any given radio station, we will not pay the full rate," the memo to DJs states. "We look forward to breaking many records together in the future."

Take Jennifer Lopez's awful record, "Get Right," with its shrill horn and lifted rap. It's now clear that was a "bought" sensation when it was released last winter. So, too, were her previous "hits" "I'm Glad" and "I'm Real," according to the memos. All were obtained by Sony laying out dough and incentives. It's no surprise. There isn't a person alive who could hum any of those "songs" now. Not even J-Lo herself.

Announced today: Sony Music — now known as Sony/BMG — has to pony up a $10 million settlement with New York's Attorney General Eliot Spitzer. It should be $100 million. And this won't be the end of the investigation. Spitzer's office is looking into all the record companies. This is just the beginning.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Gee this is really surprising, in'it???

Jello can't sing??? Who knew???

That explains a lot tho!!!

Interesting read.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

"As we celebrate mediocrity all the boys upstairs want to see
    How much you'll pay for what you used to get for free."

- Tom Petty
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

It's to bad most people that actually listen to the radio won't care about this story. I think most people enjoy being told what music they like.

Last Online

01.05.12 @ 10:05 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by willy4pres
    It's to bad most people that actually listen to the radio won't care about this story. I think most people enjoy being told what music they like.
    maaannn...so true!...the same people love being told what to wear and what to watch on TV....

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Just re-read the title of this thread.

Are we really all that shocked by any of this???

Pretty sorry state of affairs for music, in'it??

And yeah, the ids who support this kind of music will probably never read a newspaper or watch the news. They're too busy buying the "in" thing and listening to the "in" music.

Pretty pathetic if you ask me. But since no one did, I'll shut up now!!!
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/Mean Streets/Humans Being
    Last Online

06.04.06 @ 08:07 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smithjc
    Just re-read the title of this thread.

Are we really all that shocked by any of this???

Pretty sorry state of affairs for music, in'it??

And yeah, the ids who support this kind of music will probably never read a newspaper or watch the news. They're too busy buying the "in" thing and listening to the "in" music.

Pretty pathetic if you ask me. But since no one did, I'll shut up now!!!
    Can you say sheeps??

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Big Trouble
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:58 AM
    Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts

YOu know i actually liked that song from the Get Right cd...thought it was pretty cool...maybe it was just that her juicy ass mesmerized me...but man the ladies luv to dance to that cut...

mmmmmm J-LO's juicy ass aaaaarrrraggggghhhh
    Kosovo Je Srbija

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Oooo big shock. As if Sony's the only culprit. Haven't bought a CD since BOBW.

"Good Charlotte?? Good Charlotte???? More like mediocre Green Day!"--Chris Rock
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by mk5
    Oooo big shock. As if Sony's the only culprit. Haven't bought a CD since BOBW.

"Good Charlotte?? Good Charlotte???? More like mediocre Green Day!"--Chris Rock
    If people only knew how big this whole thing is. The cocksuckers at the FCC are too busy trying on their S.S. uniforms to pay attention to the pay-ola shit that's been going on unchecked for almost a decade. Maybe the FCC is on the take as well, who knows? How bad is it?
    Do you really think Hip-Hop is that popular? Have you ever wondered how some unknown Ho get's hot-rotation on the biggest radio stations in the key markets right out of the gate? A savy programing director? In a pig's ass!. Deals are made over dinner, envelopes with drugs and cash are slid under the table and a star is born. Easier than the rap A&R guys who just threaten to kill program directors if they don't play along.

Throw in the evil that is Clear Channel and it should be clear the level of manipulation in pop-music.

Hillary Clinton is looking for a cause, write her.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300
    If people only knew how big this whole thing is. The cocksuckers at the FCC are too busy trying on their S.S. uniforms to pay attention to the pay-ola shit that's been going on unchecked for almost a decade. Maybe the FCC is on the take as well, who knows? How bad is it?
    ...(SNIP)
    Hillary Clinton is looking for a cause, write her.

I feel ya, bro. I wrote a condemnation letter to MTV back in the day when I was naive enough not to know better. There are very few things that would make me want to be a politician, and this is one of 'em. It's a serious issue--this is what generations of kids are growing up listening to. Some say it's a choice, that the kids like the music. I would think that as technically minded (computer-wise) that kids are nowadays, they'd identify with more technical music. But nope, three chord bubble gum pop-punk churns along.

I live in Dallas, and a few years back they dropped our "hard rock" station 97.1 the Eagle, and replaced it with soft 70s hits for women. Bands like Godsmack, Korn, and the like were pretty much swiped from the Dallas market in one fell swoop. Who made that decision, the people?

If you're force-fed peas all your life and not exposed to any other food, is it really your choice to eat the peas?
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yep, gone are the days of the independant radio station and their rogue DJs playing whatever they wanted and taking a chance on an unknown band. So are the days of your band putting out it's first record and having your rabid local fans request your unknown song on the radio.
    The playlist arrives by fax from New York or Los Angeles with no explaination and the station magager programs them into the lineup. I live 140 miles south of San Francisco and I switch between two Top40 station, one here and the other up in the bay area. They are both owned by a sub-company of Clear Satan, er..Channel and more often than I can say, the two stations will play the same songs within the same hour. Yesterday they dug up a Go-Gos song that I hadn't heard in years and sure enough, the SF station played the same song about 20 minutes later.

MTV slices up the songs it plays on TRL, why? because if they only play a minute of the song, they only have to pay a fraction of the ASCAP duty. Which isn't that much compared to how much the rake in on advertising for that one show. Who gets fucked? The fans who requested the song, that's what killed "Night Flight" on the old USA, they butchered the songs so the kids bailed out and over to MTV.

People keep talking about how the internet is supposed to change music and how new bands break out. Turns out the new boss is the same as the old boss, what kills me is that Lopez probably would have shipped platinum anyway, Sony flushed that money down the toilet. How is that smart marketing? She's got a loyal fan base, like Madonna and Britney, that will buy anything she put's out, why blow the money? I wonder how much of that cash comes out of her take? I'd be pissed were I her.

By the way, I'd totally do J-Lo in a heartbeat.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Happy Trails"
    Last Online

11.17.06 @ 05:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LowLifeFlatHeadScum
    "As we celebrate mediocrity all the boys upstairs want to see
    How much you'll pay for what you used to get for free."

- Tom Petty
    Great lyric from a great Tom Petty album - too bad it didn't sell big numbers. It deserved to.

Well, this does explain how "singer" J.Lo got her ass-- I mean, songs, on the radio and the charts. Wonder how much Britney's record label paid...