Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

Default Instrumental Album

I know this has been mentioned before, but can someone tell me why the brothers aren't doing this?

It seems as though they cannot get along with singers. They have issues with Roth and Hagar, and both of these singers have pretty much stated that they won't work with EVH unless he cleans up. In my opinion, EVH can still function in the studio and was fine on the two dates last year when I watched him. So why don't Ed and Al take a year and work up a kick-ass instrumental album? They wouldn't even need Mike. Between the brothers, they play every instrument, write all the music, and EVH can record it at 5150 and produce it himself. And who cares if WB doesn't want it. Some label would take a chance on it upon completion.

I guess touring would not be practical, but who cares. I know all the fans would stand in line for the CD and it probably would get some critical acclaim. That, and he'd actually be doing something productive. EVH has said over the past few years that he has "10 albums with of material to be released" - probably in demo form, so he definitely would have more than enough riffs to pick over to release a full-length instrumental CD. Think about it - a VH CD with songs like "Baluchitherium", "Little Guitars Intro", and "Respect The Wind". Sounds good to me.

And if for some reason EVH refuses to do a full-length instrumental CD, he could even sing on a song and get guest vocalists to do a song each like Santana does. EVH even had this idea in 1985 after Roth left, right? He could call up Phil Collins, Pete Townsend, Peter Gabriel, etc., and get them to do a song each, although they may be a little hesitant to work with him now due to recent behavior.

So can anyone offer an opinion as to why the brothers aren't doing at least an instrumental album? Do they believe their songwriting demands lead vocals? Are they worried that it won't be commercially accepted? Is the whole "10 albums worth of material" BS and EVH has hit the wall with songwriting? Is he so out of it that he just doesn't care? I'm not suggesting that he do this for the fans. He doesn't owe us anything. But one would think he would want to be creative and stay busy and have a fire inside of him to prove to the world that he can still make music. He used to always brag back in the 1980s that he always loved to do different things and would always be looking to turn the corner and keep people guessing, and an instrumental release would fit that bill.

I'm just at a loss as to why he doesn't do something - anything. Movie soundtracks like Trevor Rabin - anything. It just doesn't make sense to me. I understand he has had a tough 5-7 years now, but if he's OK to do three new tunes and an 80-city tour, then he should be OK to do something new in the studio. With Hagar busy with his solo stuff now and Roth most likely being locked in a radio contract, now would be the perfect time for his "solo album". It makes sense to me, but I guess he's in a different place right now.

So please enlighten me - anyone - as to why EVH seems to be going down that road again where we won't hear anything new from him for another few years. He doesn't have to wait on any singer.

(Please don't get me wrong - I would love a VH-DLR reunion and I would prefer that Mike lays down all the bass tracks on an instrumental CD, but I would take an Ed/Al-only release no questions asked.)

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.10.10 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know this will sound like I'm being a smart ass but I'm really not ok. I guess they don't want to. Only answer I can think of. I wish they would do this also. I would prefer they would do this.
    "Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
    --Mark Twain

There's no one as smart as a gambler at the track putting thier last $10.00 on the longest shot of the day.

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:24 PM
    Liked 623 Times in 291 Posts

12 tracks that had the same vibe as "Baluchitherium" would be Grammy worthy. That song kicks some serious ass!
    VH RULES!
    21 Shows Attended 1993-2015

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Just get Ed to release some sort of record. Don't care one bit who else is on it...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

All the ones Ed played on
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

05.04.16 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts

I think a "solo" effort is exactly what Ed should do. If it is anything like the other instrumental songs he has done in the past, it would rock! I can bet there would be at least 500,000 devoted enough fans of just good guitar in general, not necessarily EVH fans would buy it. I would buy it in a second.
    why should he worry about commercial success anyway.

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would love to hear it, but IMO, EVH needs a producer, especially in his current state. Someone to keep him on track and kick him in the ass when he, as Sammy says, takes months to complete a solo. The last time he tried to (co)produce VH we got III. Hire someone like Glenn Ballard, Bob Rock or John Shanks and kick out the jams and I'll be the first one in line to buy it.
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

dont forget andy johns they worked very well together and got a great sound. i would love to seee them work with him again.

Favorite VH Album

Balance-F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

01.06.08 @ 04:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pghvhfan
    I think a "solo" effort is exactly what Ed should do. If it is anything like the other instrumental songs he has done in the past, it would rock! I can bet there would be at least 500,000 devoted enough fans of just good guitar in general, not necessarily EVH fans would buy it. I would buy it in a second.
    I think 500,000 is a wee bit high. The point i would like to make though is that for the rest of his life Ed could sell more albums than any other instrumental guitarist out there. The numbers don't really matter because if he had zero dollars to live off of, he could live very comfortably just releasing solo material.

Quote Originally Posted by pghvhfan
    why should he worry about commercial success anyway
    He shouldn't, at least I hope not.... at least he keeps claiming to be a musician/artist and not a rock star. If the man doesn't release any new material in the near future I'd say this would confirm my doubts that Ed is just a rock star and that he has huge issues with having to reach a certain level of commercial success to feel validated as an artist--- hence just a rockstar-- Ed, please, please, please show us the artist and fuck the rockstar
    Last edited by Van Murphenstein; 07.22.05 at 04:39 PM.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 280 Times in 134 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mike zack
    12 tracks that had the same vibe as "Baluchitherium" would be Grammy worthy. That song kicks some serious ass!
    Not to be a dick.. but I hate the idea of an EVH solo (or Al) album... 'cause 12 tracks of Baluchitherium just doesn't excite me anymore!! The whole guitar rock Vai Satriani trip has come and gone. I dunno, I just don't dig that stuff. Give me melody.. lyrics...

Give me new VH. Gary, Sammy, Dave or #4.
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Murphenstein
    Ed, please, please, please show us the artist and fuck the rockstar !
    Been there , done that with VHIII ! Nobody but me liked it !
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

06.10.06 @ 04:27 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not to sure of the article. But Ed basically said either he was scared of how we (the public, or us the muso's) would take an instrumental album. I wish he would do it. Who gives a fig! finally something to put next to 'FLEXIBLE'

Favorite VH Album

Balance-F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

01.06.08 @ 04:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lodewijk
    Been there , done that with VHIII ! Nobody but me liked it !
    I liked it as well.... so that makes two people plus the other couple hundred thousand people who bought a copy.

If Ed is scared of what people will think and that's one thing holding him back, this is what I'm talking about.....Rockstar Mentality.

Look at Andy Summers from The Police- He's written and collaborated on a total of 17 albums since the breakup of The Police. Numbers aside, the dude plays, writes, and records music cause thats what he does. Then he puts it out to the public and hey, most people probably don't even like this far out fusiony, rock, jazz stuff. Do you think he cares, no. He does what he likes and puts out music for the love of it........ Artist Mentality

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Murphenstein
    I liked it as well.... so that makes two people plus the other couple hundred thousand people who bought a copy.

Yeah but I noticed the bargain bins at the used cd store were overflowing with them a month later ! I bought 3 more copies . So alot of those couple hundred thousand people didn't hold on to them very long !
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Lodewijk
    Yeah but I noticed the bargain bins at the used cd store were overflowing with them a month later ! I bought 3 more copies . So alot of those couple hundred thousand people didn't hold on to them very long !
    Hey now, I've had my copy of III since the day it was released. Which is also more or less the last time I listened to it.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,598 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow
    Hey now, I've had my copy of III since the day it was released. Which is also more or less the last time I listened to it.

Aw, are ya kiddin? That black magic voodoo Extreme soulmate masterpiece with the greatest song ever to come out of 5150, How Many Say I?

Dude...this album is SO underrated. Hey...I think I'm gonna start a thread about it.