Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
    Last Online

06.07.13 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Hagar Interview Rebuttal

Is there something that folks find strange regarding the recent interviews with Sam?

Some things have already been pointed out (Azoff was the manager so Hagar must've agreed to the ticket prices etc etc), however this backbiting to Ed is beginning to hack me off.......

Baring in mind that Ed's songwriting / talent has allowed a mediocre/poor singer but great frontman & a good singer/OK frontman live a life that they must thank god every day........if Sam has got so much to say about the guy that provided the foundation for him to own Cabo, get sponsorship deals with Washburn etc (cause they sure as hell wouldn't have done it without the Ed association) - why don't he take these points out man to man with Ed? He says he doesn't need it - but does a FRIEND just walk away....

Secondly - if Ed is such a miserable sod, where is the evidence? I've just watched the Greensboro boot and Ed looks happier than hell. By all accounts, during the tour he was more concerned with having a good time rather than concentrating on his fretboard......the two dorks interviews don't exactly portray a miserable git do they?

On another point - I heard a boot of one of the soundchecks..........jesus Ed's playing was sooooo good - he looks really bored to me during the worn out stuff in the 2004 tour......in SGMAD, the new toons, Unchained etc his playing rocks.

I don't know...I like Sam but this airinig grievances about Ed is not good - even out of respect for what he has provided for Sam..
    Ed: Actually, the last record I bought was by a band called Brand X
    Al: I make my living by viciously attacking something
    Mike: ...actually I don't drink.
    Sammy: Are these yours Eddie?
    Dave: Look at that ankle - dirty girl!

Last Online

08.09.05 @ 11:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well said. I couldnt agree more
    "ONCE believed,can't ever lose faith"

"Get off Eddie's ass, he is still the greatest ever"

Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies/Mean Street
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:02 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts

Premium Member

The ghost of Ed Leffler is sitting there shaking his head about all this. Seriously, the guys in VH have become whiny and a bunch of pussies. They needa grow and give me some friggin' music! Argh, I been nice enough, I'm feelin' a little selfish right now. I just listened to Learning to See. Damn it, give me another one of those.
    Van Halen Reunion Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky July 6th, 2004
    "It's a little hot in here tonight!"

Van Halen 2012 Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky February 28th, 2012

Van Halen 2015 Tour
    Noblesville, Indiana September 2nd 2015

Assistant Director of Personnel
    The 3 Brigade

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 413 Times in 248 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X
    Is there something that folks find strange regarding the recent interviews with Sam?

Some things have already been pointed out (Azoff was the manager so Hagar must've agreed to the ticket prices etc etc), however this backbiting to Ed is beginning to hack me off.......

Baring in mind that Ed's songwriting / talent has allowed a mediocre/poor singer but great frontman & a good singer/OK frontman live a life that they must thank god every day........if Sam has got so much to say about the guy that provided the foundation for him to own Cabo, get sponsorship deals with Washburn etc (cause they sure as hell wouldn't have done it without the Ed association) - why don't he take these points out man to man with Ed? He says he doesn't need it - but does a FRIEND just walk away....

Secondly - if Ed is such a miserable sod, where is the evidence? I've just watched the Greensboro boot and Ed looks happier than hell. By all accounts, during the tour he was more concerned with having a good time rather than concentrating on his fretboard......the two dorks interviews don't exactly portray a miserable git do they?

On another point - I heard a boot of one of the soundchecks..........jesus Ed's playing was sooooo good - he looks really bored to me during the worn out stuff in the 2004 tour......in SGMAD, the new toons, Unchained etc his playing rocks.

I don't know...I like Sam but this airinig grievances about Ed is not good - even out of respect for what he has provided for Sam..
    About the front men, it's all about the uniqueness. Sure Dave had a poor singing voice but it was unique and it sounded cool. If you think about it, as amazing a guitar player Eddie is if it weren't for Dave's antics on stage and with the press Ed probably wouldn't have been that recognized as he was and is. Ed wanted to be a musician, not a rock star. David Lee Roth made them rock stars. Now Sammy on the other hand has a great rock voice, but he also has a very good range. Listen to songs like Dreams and Love Walks In then listen to Don't Tell Me. Also Sam is a OK front man? Sammy just approaches a live show differently than Dave. Sammy wants it to be a party fo everyones. And Dave thinks he, and he alone, is the party. Sam also knew about Cabo way before Van Halen. He just came up with Cabo Wabo while being in Cabo writing for 0U812.

if Ed is such a miserable sod, where is the evidence?
    Sure Ed looked really happy on stage in Greensboro and every show after that. But Ed also looked happy during the Balance tour when all hell was breaking loose according to Sammy. IT is easy for these guys to go out and put a smile on. That's their job. I'm not saying it's right but I'm sure their were many nights last tour when these guys didn't want to play.

Ed played great in every soundcheck from what I have read. Even in Tuscan, on the last night, he played I'm the One great at soundcheck. But then what happened during the show. Sure he played great during the soundchecks but only 70 people get to see those.

Sam has also helped Eddie out too. Sam actually was a friend to Eddie unlike Dave where Dave was just a member of the band.

However, I do agree with the ticket prices and Sammy's management. I think that Sammy knew about it and he just went along with it.

Just my opinion. I'm not bashing Ed in anyway by what I have said here also.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150
    About the front men, it's all about the uniqueness. Sure Dave had a poor singing voice but it was unique and it sounded cool. If you think about it, as amazing a guitar player Eddie is if it weren't for Dave's antics on stage and with the press Ed probably wouldn't have been that recognized as he was and is. Ed wanted to be a musician, not a rock star. David Lee Roth made them rock stars. Now Sammy on the other hand has a great rock voice, but he also has a very good range. Listen to songs like Dreams and Love Walks In then listen to Don't Tell Me. Also Sam is a OK front man? Sammy just approaches a live show differently than Dave. Sammy wants it to be a party fo everyones. And Dave thinks he, and he alone, is the party. Sam also knew about Cabo way before Van Halen. He just came up with Cabo Wabo while being in Cabo writing for 0U812.

Sure Ed looked really happy on stage in Greensboro and every show after that. But Ed also looked happy during the Balance tour when all hell was breaking loose according to Sammy. IT is easy for these guys to go out and put a smile on. That's their job. I'm not saying it's right but I'm sure their were many nights last tour when these guys didn't want to play.

Ed played great in every soundcheck from what I have read. Even in Tuscan, on the last night, he played I'm the One great at soundcheck. But then what happened during the show. Sure he played great during the soundchecks but only 70 people get to see those.

Sam has also helped Eddie out too. Sam actually was a friend to Eddie unlike Dave where Dave was just a member of the band.

However, I do agree with the ticket prices and Sammy's management. I think that Sammy knew about it and he just went along with it.

Just my opinion. I'm not bashing Ed in anyway by what I have said here also.

Mate - the points I made about the singers were taking things to the extremes for the point of this discussion really.......Sams got a great voice and is a good frontman - no doubt about that, and Dave was an incredible frontman who I also think had such a great quality to his voice ('til I saw him on Skyscraper tour and...well...it sucked).

I just really don't think that the way to get Ed to change (if that really is the motivation) is the way to go. Lock yourself away for a couple of days and thrash it out - things would be so much better, not in public - face to face.

Good post tho dude...

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:33 AM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

a mediocre/poor singer but great frontman
    Jeez, are you listening to the same 6 albums as I am? David Lee Roth was a great singer in the studio for the first 6 records. He may suck today, he may have sucked live then, but cmon?

He was a great singer from 78-84. At least give the man credit for that.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Rokgtar
    Jeez, are you listening to the same 6 albums as I am? David Lee Roth was a great singer in the studio for the first 6 records. He may suck today, he may have sucked live then, but cmon?

He was a great singer from 78-84. At least give the man credit for that.
    Hey nobody can touch Dave's work from that time period.

I thought he was awesome live!!!!

The music speaks for itself, IMO.
    Last edited by smithjc; 07.21.05 at 03:26 PM.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smithjc
    Hey nobody can touch Dave's work from that time period.

I thought he was awesome live!!!!

The music speaks for itself, IMO.

OK - How can someone be a called a great singer but suck when singing live? Surely the definition of a great singer is someone who sounds great live, not sucks?

I can think of one boot where Dave sounded OK live (Not great....just OK) and that was the mixing desk boot from Pasadena 77. As most of us have - I have hundreds of bootlegs and realistically most of us know that Dave ain't about how 'great' his voice is/was....it's about the way his 'singing' and Ed's playing made us feel - that don't make his voice great, his attitude is but his voice ain't. Let's face it,,,,the exiting thing about VH with Dave was that we all knew it was a potential train wreck that was barely held together - but we all had to get on for the ride....Dave encapsulated that - but it don't make him a great singer....frontman yes / singer no.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

OK - How can someone be a called a great singer but suck when singing live? Surely the definition of a great singer is someone who sounds great live, not sucks?

I can think of one boot where Dave sounded OK live (Not great....just OK) and that was the mixing desk boot from Pasadena 77. As most of us have - I have hundreds of bootlegs and realistically most of us know that Dave ain't about how 'great' his voice is/was....it's about the way his 'singing' and Ed's playing made us feel - that don't make his voice great, his attitude is but his voice ain't. Let's face it,,,,the exiting thing about VH with Dave was that we all knew it was a potential train wreck that was barely held together - but we all had to get on for the ride....Dave encapsulated that - but it don't make him a great singer....frontman yes / singer no.
    An album is the recorded document a band leaves behind, not some bootlegged recording made by some guy with a Radio Shack tape recorder under his coat. Dave's voice was perfect for those 6 albums, I doubt anyone listens to them and thinks "I wish he sang better."

Historically when anyone in any genre is being judged on their voice it is the recordings they produced that are evaluated.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At which point did I say that Dave wasn't perfect for those 6 albums and wasn't perfect for VH, that his singing should have been better blah blah blah?

Answer - I didn't. Just because he was perfect for those albums, that does not make him a great singer.

Those screams he does on Atomic Punk may be perfect to you, once again this doesn't make him a great singer.

So - cutting it in a studio is what makes a singer great......jeez - I always thought Britney sucked as she can't sing live, hey but as her albums sound great...she must be the best! All this time I've been wrong.....

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

At which point did I say that Dave wasn't perfect for those 6 albums and wasn't perfect for VH, that his singing should have been better blah blah blah?

Answer - I didn't. Just because he was perfect for those albums, that does not make him a great singer.

Those screams he does on Atomic Punk may be perfect to you, once again this doesn't make him a great singer.

So - cutting it in a studio is what makes a singer great......jeez - I always thought Britney sucked as she can't sing live, hey but as her albums sound great...she must be the best! All this time I've been wrong.....
    I'm sorry, but while we're on the topic of reading comprehension, when did I say that Dave was a "great" singer? I simply said it's better to evaluate someone by the recorded product they put out, then 25 year old bootlegs. I don't think VH needed or wanted a "great" singer, I'm sure no one asked Dave if he got an "A" in chorus. The point that I was making was that Dave was not in fact a poor/mediocre singer like you said, at least not in that time period.

As for Britney, I'm sorry if her live shows didn't measure up to the albums you think are great. I usually watch her videos with the volume off myself.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

10.07.15 @ 03:41 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

What a crock a' shit, dude. Come on, stop defending Ed and accept it. Eddies has changed. Listen to any of his interviews before 2000 and he is humble, excited and happy. These days, he's miserable, cocky and I for one am thankful that I don't have to work with him.

Ed is the catalyst to VH, he knows and the fans know it. He is about the most dysfunctional bastard! Communicate with your fans. They/we made him. If you are taking a break, fine, communicate this. If you are finished with Van Halen, fine, it's closure for everyone, but don't act like we don't exist.

To say Sammy is a poor singer is a little much. I don't think he's the best singer out there, but he has range. You almost make it sound like Eddie made Sammy. Not even close. Sammy is the the kind of guy that is down to earth, open and knows what he wants. Ed and Al are hermits who were once legends. If anything VH made DLR. Now he's just a shell of poor singer, good frontman, interviewing to be a DJ.

If you want to get tired of something, get tired of Ed's lack of playing because he has a lead singer-sized chip on his shoulder. Where's the evidence? Ed has no wife, holely clothes, no tour, no lead singer and apparently no band.

Last Online

12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

Eddie may be miserable, and he just may have all these problems that everyone seems to believe...but it's still pretty shady for Sam to even air that kind of thing. I'm sorry, just not what a bud would do. Same goes for Mikey.

btw, Brand X I totally agree with the ticket deal. Sam brought in *his* manager, not the other way around, so I don't get his beef all of a sudden.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 413 Times in 248 Posts

I just really don't think that the way to get Ed to change (if that really is the motivation) is the way to go. Lock yourself away for a couple of days and thrash it out - things would be so much better, not in public - face to face.
    I agree that all this publicity should be avoided like if Sam has something to say he should say something to Ed. Stop making matters worse.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Eruption
    Last Online

07.13.12 @ 05:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What Ed did for Sam? Exactly what has Ed done post DLR that amounted to anything WITHOUT Sammy? Sam had a successful solo career before Van Halen and has one now. Roth had a nice solo run in the 80's and is still touring a little. I'm sorry exactly what has Ed accomplished on his own again?

NADA.

Ed would have been a hermit for the last 20 years instead of the last 10 if weren't for Sammy. Its time to face the facts. Ed is a great player when reasonably sober but in terms of the commercial / financial success he has enjoyed he owes EVERYTHING to Roth, Hagar and to some extent Ed Leffler