Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.09.07 @ 09:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

VH 1995, what a difference a decade makes

I was digging around in my storage building the other day, getting ready for a yard sale and I opened a box of old magazines. In the box I found the April 6th 1995 issue of Rolling Stone with Edward on the cover. The photo's in B&W, he's got that trademark smile, his "new" short haircut and his hand over his brow, blocking the sun out of his eyes.
    Well, I snatched it up and brought it back in the house to re-read the interview and reminisce about the good old days, when everthing was okay in VH-land.
    There are pictures of Ed with Valerie and Wolfie, walking with his dog, just hanging out, etc. But he's SMILING. He was just a really happy guy. What the hell happened? Leffler had just died and Balance had just been released so I realize it was a hard time for him. At the time of the interview he'd been sober for 5 months and said this time it was real. Valerie said that living with an alcoholic for 14 years was enough. If she didn't think he was for real this time she'd be gone. He said he knew alcohol was wrong for him and he had to quit. So much for that.
    He was just so open and honest. Talked about his relationship with Al and Sam and Mike. He said the great thing about the band was that Sam could write lyrics for songs that he'd written and know exactly what he (Ed) was thinking.
    It all seemed so great at the time. The more I read, the less nostalgic I got. Instead I just got more disappointed. We've all gotten our hopes up so many times since then, it's exhausting.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the tour last year and wouldn't have missed it for the world. I just don't see how it all went to hell for 4 guys who cared about each other and the music so much.

Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies/Mean Street
    Last Online

12.01.17 @ 02:40 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts

Premium Member

Every time I watch a boot from 2004, they all look so happy and content. Having fun on stage. Then we read stuff like Sammy: Ed sucks, Ed: Sammy and Mike suck, Mike: I just wanna play music! Sam's cool! Try my hot sauce!, Alex:Silence.

You know, Alex is really the only one still silent. I think it's time some magazine got an interview with him. I'd be interested in seeing whether or not he would side COMPLETELY with his brother or maybe talk about Ed in a sort of Big Brother worried about little brother way.
    Van Halen Reunion Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky July 6th, 2004
    "It's a little hot in here tonight!"

Van Halen 2012 Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky February 28th, 2012

Van Halen 2015 Tour
    Noblesville, Indiana September 2nd 2015

Assistant Director of Personnel
    The 3 Brigade

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Cactus
    You know, Alex is really the only one still silent. I think it's time some magazine got an interview with him. I'd be interested in seeing whether or not he would side COMPLETELY with his brother or maybe talk about Ed in a sort of Big Brother worried about little brother way.
    There was a brief interview with Sam and Al last September on CNN, and Alex said something like Ed was 100% if not more. There were also interviews where he said everything was going great and they were going to enter the studio and record a new album. I don't know if that was just Al being optimistic, or not admitting that things were falling apart.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Favorite VH Album

ALL
    Favorite VH Song

ALL
    Last Online

04.24.17 @ 11:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Isthat the one where Alex says with sammy on the vocals?
    All songs written and performed by:

Edward Van Halen: Lead Guitars, Backround vocals
    Sammy Hagar: Lead Vocals, Acoustic/Guitars
    Michael Anthony: Bass/ Backround Vocals
    Alex Van Halen: Drums/Percussions/Back Vocals
    Sammy Hagars solos available on Geffen
    Special Thanks to: Valerie, Wolfie, Sue, Kari,Claudio for introducing the RedRocker to us Al's Harem and kids, Elisha, Taylor, Kama/ all the fans past and present: all recordings done at "5150" where else! A nod and wink to Ed Leffler.
    Irving Azoff/ All the staff at Warner Bros. past and present/ Gary Cherone for giving his all/ David Lee Roth for getting us there and oh yea Ray Daniels, for keeping the bathrooms clean during all the performances. Oh yea, your fucking check is in the mail and next time you whip your bullshit on us again, where taking your ass to Cabo and pounding mud up your ass till you cough up sand for the loss of 8 years. nuff said, IT"S 5150 TIME

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    I'm starting to think that Al keeps silent because he doesnt want to be interviewed and have to tell the truth about Ed.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

I think about all this recent stuff with the band will quiet down soon and we won't hear anything for a while. But I think that this is just a fight between Ed and Sam. Because if Sam were really bad then Ed and Al would be talking. So far the Al hasn't said anything about Sam or Mike. So I personally think that it isn't that bad. Sure Sam and Ed don't get along as well as they used to but it is like that for anybody.

The only thing that makes me feel bad is when I listen to the Westwood 1 interview and I hear the voices fade in and I hear Eddie say, "It feels like a whole new beinning". And Sammy and the guys are talking about how they are better than ever and they genuinely got along. I'm more of a fan of Sammy that Roth (however, I love both era's), but I think that unless Ed gets his act together which I'm sure he will, Roth is our only choice of a frontman if we want to see this band live again. And it probably won't be with Mikey, god forbid.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:09 AM
    Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150
    I think about all this recent stuff with the band will quiet down soon and we won't hear anything for a while. But I think that this is just a fight between Ed and Sam. Because if Sam were really bad then Ed and Al would be talking. So far the Al hasn't said anything about Sam or Mike. So I personally think that it isn't that bad. Sure Sam and Ed don't get along as well as they used to but it is like that for anybody.

The only thing that makes me feel bad is when I listen to the Westwood 1 interview and I hear the voices fade in and I hear Eddie say, "It feels like a whole new beinning". And Sammy and the guys are talking about how they are better than ever and they genuinely got along. I'm more of a fan of Sammy that Roth (however, I love both era's), but I think that unless Ed gets his act together which I'm sure he will, Roth is our only choice of a frontman if we want to see this band live again. And it probably won't be with Mikey, god forbid.
    see i just don't see this logic. they need to get back with dave because ed and sam don't get along. I don't see the odds being very high that dave and ed would get along any more than sam. if fact it would probably be worse.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:34 PM
    Liked 593 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

Relevant VH died in 1996. Everybody needs to accept that. The tour last year was great, but it was nostalgia.

I doubt we've heard the last of VH as a band, but their final day in the real spotlight has long passed, methinks.

Van Halen simply isn't going to hit a time-warp and make another record like 5150.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Happy Trails"
    Last Online

11.17.06 @ 05:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There were undercurrents of tension in that interview however, if you dig deeply. When the article referenced Sammy's recording of two new songs for the Unboxed compilation, Ed referred to it as something like "Sammy's loony fucking solo trip."

And Sammy wasn't present when the reporter observed Ed, Al & Mike rehearsing. I believe it said that Sammy was attending a funeral or something to that effect. I'm not refuting this, just stating what I remember reading.

It's too bad, really - Balance was a great album, a big improvement over the disappointing For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge. That and "Humans Being" from the Twister pointed at great things to come.

Sadly, that didn't happen.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheInside1985
    see i just don't see this logic. they need to get back with dave because ed and sam don't get along. I don't see the odds being very high that dave and ed would get along any more than sam. if fact it would probably be worse.
    ok then so VH is dead. thanks for clearing that up for me
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

vhII
    Favorite VH Song

i'm the one
    Last Online

03.28.15 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scotty5150
    Van Halen simply isn't going to hit a time-warp and make another record like 5150.
    Promise?
    Last edited by ben halen; 07.21.05 at 04:11 PM.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:34 PM
    Liked 593 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ben halen
    Promise?
    Yep

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ACK
    There were undercurrents of tension in that interview however, if you dig deeply. When the article referenced Sammy's recording of two new songs for the Unboxed compilation, Ed referred to it as something like "Sammy's loony fucking solo trip."

And Sammy wasn't present when the reporter observed Ed, Al & Mike rehearsing. I believe it said that Sammy was attending a funeral or something to that effect. I'm not refuting this, just stating what I remember reading.

It's too bad, really - Balance was a great album, a big improvement over the disappointing For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge. That and "Humans Being" from the Twister pointed at great things to come.

Sadly, that didn't happen.
    wt wt did you just say fuck sucked. let me ask something real quick do you smoke crack often or just tonight? fuck is a fans album man that is the best album other then balance. i myself play the guitar and always find myself going back to the fuck album. that was a killer album and some great tunes other then the ones you may have only heard on the radio.

Hang 'Em High Blind Lemon Loons's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth!!
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty Whooooo! Look Out!
    Last Online

12.03.17 @ 07:20 AM
    Liked 154 Times in 114 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ACK
    When the article referenced Sammy's recording of two new songs for the Unboxed compilation, Ed referred to it as something like "Sammy's loony fucking solo trip."
    Awww hell no...
    Last edited by Blind Lemon Loons; 07.21.05 at 05:39 PM.
    ASHES TO ASHES...DUST TO DUST...IF THE WOMEN DON'T GET YA, THE WHISKEY MUST!!...

"I used to play the blues alone in all the local joints," he explained. 'The only thing that I can really play on guitar to this day is the blues. I heard Doc Watson and his son playing 15 years ago, and from there I got into Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker."--DLR

If you pay attention -- what I sing, the guitar sings, too, and what the guitar says, I say.--Mississippi Fred McDowell

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Happy Trails"
    Last Online

11.17.06 @ 05:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by winston5150
    wt wt did you just say fuck sucked. let me ask something real quick do you smoke crack often or just tonight? fuck is a fans album man that is the best album other then balance. i myself play the guitar and always find myself going back to the fuck album. that was a killer album and some great tunes other then the ones you may have only heard on the radio.
    So, if I state an opinion that differs from yours, I smoke crack, right??

Interesting.

If you like For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge that's great. More power to ya. Personally, I think it's the weakest of the Van Hagar albums. It has some good songs, but overall, there's a certain flatness to it - it doesn't have the same pizzazz as 5150 or Balance.

Well, I'd go on, but I guess I'd better start smoking crack because apparently that's what people who don't like F.U.C.K. do.