Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

VHII, WACF, 5150
    Last Online

03.31.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Question About Dog Behavior

I'm hoping we have some canine experts in our midst...

I have a 5 year old miniature pinscher named KD (sounds like Katie but stands for 'killer dog' LOL). She was raised by a breeder and we got her after she lost her ability to breed. We've had her for about three years. We just moved at the beginning of June to our new house so she's probably not completely comfortable yet.

My sister-in-law came to visit for about 2 weeks with her dog, a miniature schnauzer named Greta. She's a little bigger than KD and is a little over a year old.

Greta only wants to play with KD but as usual, KD has no interest in playing with other dogs. She was a little under the weather at the time and she ate a lot of grass and was vomiting. We had taken her to the vet and she was taking medicine to settle her stomach and a wormer. She got a little cranky when Greta kept annoying her. She would growl and walk away. No true signs of dominance or submission that I could see.

Then my sister-in-law (who's moving back to town) went home to collect her things and left Greta with us. It had been about another week and there no problems. That Saturday, Greta got into the paperbasket and ripped up some papers and my wife smacked her. KD freaked out and started going at Greta. I figured it was because my wife seemed upset with her so KD joined in. I don't think Greta even fought back at all. They were a little different through the rest of the day. That night we were watching TV. My wife gave Greta a "Greenie" dog treat but couldn't give any to KD because she was on a restricted diet due to her nausea. Greta ate it and got up on the couch and laid down. KD was laying on the chair beside me and Greta was laying with my wife on the couch. A little bit later and out of nowhere, KD just snapped and attacked Greta. She was making noises like a Gremlin and was acting pretty crazy. I've never heard anything like that come out of her. We were able to separate them but had to keep them apart all night. KD was restless and just wanted a piece of Greta. The next day, it was the same thing so we sent Greta to a relative's house for a week. The vet told us that the medicine would not cause behavior like that.

We brought her back yesterday and things seemed much better. I don't know what to think exactly though. Some people said we should supervise and just let them fight if they start because they were just trying to establish who's the alpha dog. I don't want either of them to get hurt. Last night, I noticed that Greta walked over and just stood perpendicular to KD for a minute. I think that's a showing of dominance but I don't know. Her body language is hard to read because she has bushy eyebrows, a beard, and long hair that makes it hard to see if her hackles are up. She seems pretty easy-going though. They slept within inches of each other last night. My dog may just have a problem with another dog in her house because she's been the boss. I put them in separate areas when I left today because I didn't trust them to be alone with each other.

Any idea what's going on or what I should do? My sister-in-law is coming back to stay with us until she gets back on her feet in our town. She doesn't know this is going on and wouldn't take it very well.
    Should we just let them fight and get it over with or is that dangerous to their welfare? Can they live together? Any advice would be appreciated!
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce the king of 10 fingers and six strings... Mr. Edward Van Halen!"

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 PM
    Liked 732 Times in 296 Posts

Ok...I think I can help. I have 4 dogs. 1 Female Rott, a male Shepherd, and 2 male black labs.

First off: Don't let them fight. It's cruel, and they could get hurt.

I had the first 2 dogs for over 5 years, and then we found the 1st black lab, and tried to bring him in with the other dogs. The Rott was ok, but the shepherd would attack and bite him anytime they were not separated. Once we bought a new house, and they all came into it at the sametime, there were no problems. The shepherd is still the dominant male, but he doesn't attack any of the other dogs. The 2nd lab was only a few weeks old when we found him, so we had to keep him separated until he was big enough to be in the general population. We again sold our house and moved to another house, and all 4 get along fine.

It's a good idea to keep them separated when you are not home. Try walking them together, so they can get used to being around each other.
    Spend time with both when you are home. Sooner or later, the little dobe will get used to the other dog. It takes time. It took me over a year of separating the lab from the shepherd until they got along. You just have to be patient.

The only time I have problems now is if a piece of food falls on the floor. The shepherd will attack anyone who goes near it. So be careful when feeding the dogs. They still operate primarily on instinct.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:52 AM
    Liked 1,619 Times in 996 Posts

Donor

I'm a dog guy myself. EJC is right, it's just KD's territorial instinct kicking in. Don't let 'em fight, it can get way too Wild Kingdom and expensive. They'll acclimate with continued and supervised desensitization to each other over time.

Favorite VH Album

VHII, WACF, 5150
    Last Online

03.31.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for your advice, EJC and Squalen. I figured that sooner or later they'll realize that they might as well get used to each other.
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce the king of 10 fingers and six strings... Mr. Edward Van Halen!"