Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

03.20.06 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Al's Drums circa 1984

I hope this is the proper board for this kind of question. It may sound like a rehash, but there is a final point.

I have been searching for years (as have other drummers) for how Alex actually did the Hot For Teacher intro. Some think it was all double bass licks, others think it was overdubbed. I believe now most think that he was using a few Simmons pads on the side and using some kind of roll technique to get the beats between the 1 and 3 (or 1 and 4) beats. Sounds reasonable, given that during the intro he is also counter beating on one of the roto-toms which would possibly be mounted above the simmons pads (??)

The question I have is this: does anybody have specs on how Alex's drums were set up during that time period and/or does anybody have pictures of his drum setup?

Last Online

02.25.07 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't know his set up but I read in Modern Drummer recently that the beginning sound was actually sampled from one of his Ferraris. In the article, they dissect that intro so you might want to try get a back issue. You'll have to check but I think it was sometime around May.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.10.10 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Al answered this question himself in the drum forum at the Dome once. If I remember correctly he said it took one six pack and one take. He did himself no overdubbes on a double bass. Let me go see if I can get Burning Tires to come answer this he was the moderator of that forum. He may even still have the post. I can't remember if Alex talked in any more depth regarding the setup of his drums.
    "Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
    --Mark Twain

There's no one as smart as a gambler at the track putting thier last $10.00 on the longest shot of the day.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Alex used his double bass, Simmons pads, and roto-toms concurrently for the intro.

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

All
    Last Online

05.11.17 @ 09:16 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts

Default Not correct

Wrong... see post by Sunya

Quote Originally Posted by Paco
    Don't know his set up but I read in Modern Drummer recently that the beginning sound was actually sampled from one of his Ferraris. In the article, they dissect that intro so you might want to try get a back issue. You'll have to check but I think it was sometime around May.
    under darken skies ... we'll see the light

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.27.17 @ 06:20 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

If you watch the diver down pro-shot videos from 1982 and the ones from the South American leg in early 1983, Alex had 3 simmons pads mounted right above his 2 floor toms. Above the simmons pads there are a few roto-toms mounted as well. He actually messed around on the simmons pads/roto toms in the 2nd part of his solo.

Presumably, this is what he then took to the studio, and then of course he evolved to using 5 simmons pads on 1984/5150.

This was not overdubbed. I bought a nice transcription of the solo from some guy advertising in Modern Drummer back in 1988. It is quite a challenge, but not impossible. He plays triplets between the simmons pad and roto toms, with a sticking pattern of RRLR, with the last stroke on the rototom, and then varies that pattern slightly. While doing that, he is doing the double bass shuffle with his feet. You can also hear this same simmons pad in one of the last fills of Girl Gone Bad.

Favorite VH Album

vhII
    Favorite VH Song

i'm the one
    Last Online

03.28.15 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You can also hear this same simmons pad in one of the last fills of Girl Gone Bad.[/QUOTE]
    Me and another VH fan were just talking about this the other day at work. We noticed the one at the end of Girl Gone Bad and weren't sure if the Diver Down tour was the first use of the simmons pads by Alex.
    I know they were kinda popular back then, but I really hate the way they sound.

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:01 PM
    Liked 623 Times in 291 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sunya
    Al answered this question himself in the drum forum at the Dome once. If I remember correctly he said it took one six pack and one take. He did himself no overdubbes on a double bass. Let me go see if I can get Burning Tires to come answer this he was the moderator of that forum. He may even still have the post. I can't remember if Alex talked in any more depth regarding the setup of his drums.
    Wow! One of the members of the band answered questions on the Dome? Did Eddie ever post anything? I just signed on to me a member there and like a week later it closed!
    VH RULES!
    21 Shows Attended 1993-2015

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 280 Times in 134 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paco

Do you mean Ed's Lamborghini in "Panama"???
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was waiting for someone to talk about GGB. Fuck man, does he kill on that
    outro. It makes me realize my fave VH tunes are the one where Al just kicks
    total ass. And the Simmons sound ok here cause it sounds like he's tumbling
    a Lamborghini down Ed's driveway.
    Last edited by mistere; 07.16.05 at 11:00 PM.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mistere
    I was waiting for someone to talk about GGB. Fuck man, does he kill on that
    outro. It makes me realize my fave VH tunes are the one where Al just kicks
    total ass. And the Simmons sound ok here cause it sounds like he's tumbling
    a Lamborghini down Ed's driveway.
    I agree. Not only does AL kick ass on this tune, but the whole band as well! Awesome song that rocks from beginning to end.

Favorite VH Album

BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

Crossing over
    Last Online

04.03.12 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by mike zack
    Wow! One of the members of the band answered questions on the Dome? Did Eddie ever post anything? I just signed on to me a member there and like a week later it closed!
    He answered all his fans questions, then went to his attorney's office...
    Sam, Dave,Gary... who cares. its all about what makes you feel good.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

03.20.06 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drmjwilson
    This was not overdubbed. I bought a nice transcription of the solo from some guy advertising in Modern Drummer back in 1988. It is quite a challenge, but not impossible. He plays triplets between the simmons pad and roto toms, with a sticking pattern of RRLR, with the last stroke on the rototom, and then varies that pattern slightly. While doing that, he is doing the double bass shuffle with his feet. You can also hear this same simmons pad in one of the last fills of Girl Gone Bad.
    So then, it SOUNDS like he is doing some kind of pattern on the simmons at the beginning. Right? One thing I dont get. If this intro is all "triplets" per se, then how do you counter in with the 16th note RRLR pattern? Also would that assume that he was doing RRLR RRLR RRLR? If so, I am guessing he was using bounce stick technique on the simmons pads? Any thoughts?

Last Online

02.25.07 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalen
    Wrong... see post by Sunya

No, actually you're wrong dipshit, they're sampled ON his Simmons. I read it directly from Modern Drummer and I just discovered an Interview with Don Landee from Recording Magazine where he says the SAME DAMN THING.

This Forum has way too many assholes looking to start something nowadays.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paragliderIB
    So then, it SOUNDS like he is doing some kind of pattern on the simmons at the beginning. Right? One thing I dont get. If this intro is all "triplets" per se, then how do you counter in with the 16th note RRLR pattern? Also would that assume that he was doing RRLR RRLR RRLR? If so, I am guessing he was using bounce stick technique on the simmons pads? Any thoughts?
    This question got forwarded to Big Al a few years back, and we got his response over at the old Pleasure Dome through Bradshroom.

It was just what Sunya said... a six pack, a lot of energy, and one take (no overdubs). It was just Ed and Al at the studio that day/night. He didn't really get more specific than that.

My take on it is that the first part is all Simmons double bass drums... maybe he sampled the sounds but they are very Simmons-like... it gets more complicated as he does some rolls with his right hand on the Simmons floor tom, and then finally you hear the roto tom with his left hand before the shuffle groove starts. I think the trick is you assume he's using his hands in the first part, so as it gets more involved it sounds overdubbed and nearly impossible. I've gotten close to being able to play the first part with electric double bass drums.

You can only get that good by practically living behind a drum set. I liked what Alex said once about him swimming to stay in shape, because drumming is basically making a bunch of timed explosions start to sound fluid. Or something like that.

I could go on all day about this.
    Staying Frosty