Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

Default The Media doesn't like Van Halen

I'm not saying anything we don't already know but, I thought of it while reading Entertainment Magazine. They were reviewing Paul Anka's covers CD, and they mentioned just about every song on it, but Jump, argueably one of the more popular covers on the album. Not that big of a deal, but I really think the band is widely not considered anymore.

I mean VH's lack of respect in the various polls...the piss poor coverage of the last tour....poor album reviews throughout their career...WTF?

Maybe Ed is kind of a jerk, and rubs people wrong. The media et all seems to fall all over themselves for Aerosmith and other classic rock bands...why o why isn't Van Halen given the same respect? I mean some of the people in the Rolling Stone 100 greatest of all time made me sick...How does Slash make the list, but Eddie doesn't? Alright, I'm ranting...
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Whenever I read one of these "Why doesn't the media respect VH threads", I just have to laugh.

What have they put out since the BOVI album that was even interesting?

The public bitch-fest between Hagar and EVH, the MTV awards disaster, Roth in/out, the guy from "Extreme"is in, the guy from Extreme leaving and then silence...

...until they regroup last year, release yet another "best-of" package (with 3 thrown together tunes), do a tour and the star guitar player refuses to do interviews, let alone behaves oddly.

If you want the media to notice you, maybe doing something besides showing up in gossip columns would be the way to go.

...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

VH1, FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of The World, Show No Merc
    Last Online

10.20.06 @ 08:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Chef pretty much covered it there. They are nothing more than an afterthought for mainstream people right now. A Lackluster record and somewhat disappointing tour in 1998 and then absolutely nothing for 4 1/2 years besides rumors, rumors & more rumors, of which really only the die hards cared about.

Then they reunite in secretcy, put out another Best Of with 3 new tunes that barely make a dent on the music world, and quietly go on tour refusing most interviews/media outlets.
    Van Halen Live: 15 shows.
    Have I seen my last one?

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

04.01.06 @ 07:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

VH aside, the Mainstream press in any form can't be trusted for anything. They manipulate the truth of any event or story to meet the needs of whatever agenda they may have. They don't "report" anything.

However, in the case of VH coverage, VH is not relevant to anything that will generate ratings or increase viewership on a large scale. Now, if one of the members had something bad happen to them, car wreck, suicide etc... they'd be all over it.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:58 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by extreme red roth
    I'm not saying anything we don't already know but, I thought of it while reading Entertainment Magazine. They were reviewing Paul Anka's covers CD, and they mentioned just about every song on it, but Jump, argueably one of the more popular covers on the album. Not that big of a deal, but I really think the band is widely not considered anymore.

I mean VH's lack of respect in the various polls...the piss poor coverage of the last tour....poor album reviews throughout their career...WTF?

Maybe Ed is kind of a jerk, and rubs people wrong. The media et all seems to fall all over themselves for Aerosmith and other classic rock bands...why o why isn't Van Halen given the same respect? I mean some of the people in the Rolling Stone 100 greatest of all time made me sick...How does Slash make the list, but Eddie doesn't? Alright, I'm ranting...
    The only poor album reviews they ever really got was for VHIII. All the rest got good to excellent reviews.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by extreme red roth

VH is totally responsible for what they get in the media. They can either work the media or not. They choose to be a clusterfuck and the media is tired of it. They can only blame themselves.

acs

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Well, it doesn't help that they haven't put out a new album release in 7+ years. Last year's tour could have been hyped up a little more.
    What I think they need now is some kind of rediscovery--kind of like Queen got when Bohemian Rhapsody refound fame in the 90's because of a scene in "Wayne's World."
    For us fans, I think it would be nice if they just put out a double album or box of the unreleased, instrumentals they got (those 10 albums worth of music).
    "Baluchitherium" was a cool song. At this point, I'd take an album of songs like that. Ed's a genius and I'm sure the music is good. Look at "Up for Breakfast," I actually wish that was an instrumental with those stupid lyrics.
    I'm sorry, now I'm ranting (not to mention getting off topic).
    After the "FUCK" album, VH was never really seen in any positive light from the media. "Balance" kind of quietly came and went. I thought that album could have gone a little more mainstream, like FUCK did. "Not Enough" should have been more of a hit. And Deja Vu should have could have easily been a mainstream hit.
    Oh well, Fuck the media!

Last Online

06.15.13 @ 05:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

That's because Van Halen doesn't like the media.
    I like my coffee like I like my women, filled with booze.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FulMnte
    That's because Van Halen doesn't like the media.

That's too simple of an answer.

Wanna bet that VH loved the attention they were getting at one time? Damned right they did, and it helped sell records...and let's face it, they used the media for their own needs: like doing Pepsi or Nissan commercials, or that wonderful "Got Milk" ad.

Rather than accept responsibility, people tend to blame the media (Tammy Faye Baker once went so far as to state that "The media is sick and needs help badly"...so what if both she and Jim Baker were nutcases? )

It's way too easy to shoot the messenger these days.

...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

05.02.06 @ 06:12 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think a factor in this is the Media would rather push politically correct bands like Springsteen and U2 as opposed a party band like Van Halen.

I mean How many albums have U2 and Springsteen made in the last 10 years?, and they were nothing comparible to earlier in their careers. U2 comes out with one song in 2004 and it's all over the air waves and Television.

Favorite VH Album

VH1, FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of The World, Show No Merc
    Last Online

10.20.06 @ 08:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

U2 promoted the hell out of "Vertigo" and then used the RRHOF (as cheesy as it might be) to further promote themselves as one of rock's greatest acts. Hey, God bless em, it worked. But it wasn't the media doing it. U2's PR people created the buzz in the first place and then the media has to report on the story. Then "Vertigo" gets played via the Apple commercial which in turn had U2 linked to the hottest item of the holiday season (the I-pod) And then when you sell out 6,8,10 shows in major cities it IS a big story and that just further adds to it.

For whatever reason, VH chose to stay under the radar last year so the media did not pursue something that wasn't there.
    Van Halen Live: 15 shows.
    Have I seen my last one?

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by BAM66
    Now, if one of the members had something bad happen to them, car wreck, suicide etc... they'd be all over it.
    We don't want anything bad to happen to any of them. Little or no media coverage is just fine.

I do recall the Creem/Circus days when they always had articles about VH and that's where we all got our info. I kinda miss those days, but I gotta go with the Chef-man since once again, he is the voice of reason around here.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

Uhm...VH has never been a media darling and certainly not a fan of the critics. To think their popularity with media suddenly fell in the last few years is absurd. Yeah, they got some exposure on MTV in the mid 80's but during the early Dave years they were simply a fan's band. Anyone remember Fair Warning?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig
    Whenever I read one of these "Why doesn't the media respect VH threads", I just have to laugh.

What have they put out since the BOVI album that was even interesting?

The public bitch-fest between Hagar and EVH, the MTV awards disaster, Roth in/out, the guy from "Extreme"is in, the guy from Extreme leaving and then silence...

...until they regroup last year, release yet another "best-of" package (with 3 thrown together tunes), do a tour and the star guitar player refuses to do interviews, let alone behaves oddly.

If you want the media to notice you, maybe doing something besides showing up in gossip columns would be the way to go.

...craig
    I somewhat agree, but look at Motley Crue on this tour. Top 10 grossing so far, tons of media coverage, specials on VH1, Live 8 appearance video airplay, radio airplay, and they did the exact same thing Van Halen did last year.......

And VAN HALEN is MILES ahead of the Crue as far as talent and songwriting and...well EVERYTHING. So why all the attention to the Crue?

I think alot has to do with management, and the band's (mostly Ed and Al) unwillingness to participate in anything to promote the band.

or it's all Sammy's fault

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Seeing as liberals don't like babies, money, or rock and roll, why is it surprising? It's not a conspiracy, but those of us in the know describe it as such. If God-fearing conservatives weren't squelched by the MSM Van Halen would be in the news on a daily basis.

You heard it here first.

Don't be surprised if they make this reply disappear!